Panart: San Felipe 1:75 Scale Build Log [COMPLETED BUILD]

Ok, after taking a deep sigh of frustration, I finally got my Cannon Port Lids figured out and corrected. In the meantime, I was intrigued by jumping ahead to the rigging of the deadeyes. I wanted to have a SINGLE loop of wire that will encompass the deadeye AND be able to pass through the Channel and to allow a small loop left-over to tie into the hull.
After a lot of thought, I decided to make a JIG. The reason is that I will be making about 60 of these. So, I made one deadeye loop by hand to get the basic structure. Then to the MILL and Lathe to construct a jig. This was not an easy task. A little frustrating to build at this small level, but I got it done and was able to test it out.
I am happy with the results. When the deadeye loop is removed, just a very small amount of adjustments are needed and I can then solder the joint and then blacken. (however, the deadeye will be added before the soldering. I could insert the deadeye AFTER the blackening, but I have to see how much distortion of the loop is.
So, with all that said, here are the images of the JIG and in action too.
deadeye-jig-01.jpgdeadeye-jig-02.jpgdeadeye-jig-03.jpgdeadeye-jig-04.jpgdeadeye-jig-05.jpgdeadeye-jig-06.jpgdeadeye-jig-07.jpg

MOST LIKELY SOLDERED WITH DEADEYE ON, BUT NOT DECIDED YET.

TEST FIT BELOW.

deadeye-jig-08.jpg

Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks for the kind compliments. Moving on to more deadeye - stuff. I thought I would play around with channels before moving on to the other side port lids.
I was not happy with the natural wood channel and I thought what the heck - wash it black. So mixed up black with some water and I called it Black Wash. Then sanded some (probably too much) to age it some. I am using black steel annealed .73mm wire.

channels-01.jpgchannels-02.jpg

Thanks, but I think I over did it.

Thank you for all the compliments. However, I found a new torture and that is making the chainplates. It is what it is. I am probably doing this all wrong, but I do not like the kits suggestions and I did not feel like doing a ton of research on it. (the previous brass rings - I did not like and I had some black annealed steel wire hanging around instead at .58mm thickness. The chainplate is 1mm brass wire shaped.

channels-03.jpg

Hi Donnie,
It looks like you may have to respace the deadeyes so the chainplates will not be in front of the guns or that might be a bad angle for the photo.
Mike

Hello Donnie
That sure is a nice looking jig that you came up with for bending all of those Deadeye Loops. Got a question for you, will you be using soft solder or silver solder that is much harder? Your weathered Channels sure do look great, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Back