Panart: San Felipe 1:75 Scale Build Log [COMPLETED BUILD]

I am using just plain (soft) solder for everyday basic electronic soldering. Thanks for the compliments. I switched out wire and did not use the brass, but rather some black annealed wire. I had to scrap off a little of the black annealing so the solder would stick. The solder joint is hidden within inside the channel "hole".

I am very tired of doing chainplates !!

Mike,
I took from "front on" photos and I think that I am ok. Another reason why I want to hurry up and get away from this thing.

Hi Donnie,
The angle on this photo makes things look a lot better, I would consider making a small “L” angle on the top of the chainplates for the first canon on the second row, just a thought.
Mike

Ok, here is the latest. Pictures speak for themselves. The Channels have a little bit more upward angle than I like. This was somewhat unavoidable. I have struggled with this kit trying to make the best of it. If you are reading this and you are thinking of buying the Felipe from Panart. DON"T !

channels-06.jpg

channels-07.jpg

Mmm, the angle is a bit high, in real size if the guns were angled down they would blow the edge off the channels. But then again Donnie it is only a model. BTW, is the otherside the same, if not, level the channels and display that side only.

I like the result. You made the best of it. Hope my felipe turns out well. Gonna use your blogs for guidens and solutions if i get in trouble. Whats the next kit on your wishlist?

Eric, well, the Canons are a straight shot with clearance, yep, if pointed down, it would blast the heck out of the channel. It is OBVIOUS that this model will NOT be winning any awards any time soon. The problem is this: IF the Channels would have been mounted lets say somewhat parallel with the water line as most do, THEN the Cannon port lids WOULD NOT close !!! I would have had to close the lids that are all UNDER the channel. So as you can see, there is almost no way to do enough forward thinking on this model to avoid it. Unless you were to read the picture manual like a thousand times and foresaw the problem.
I am not happy with the results. It does not look good nor right. It is what it is though.

Pat,
I do not know. I was thinking about looking through ZHL, Marisella to see what I can find. To be more specific, I like the HMS Vanguard and the HMS Agamemnon, but I said to myself that I was going to try a ZHL POF next. This is not quite answering your question and I guess time will see. I just want to get this SF off my bench !!! I guess I could make the SF a hull model only, but that will drive me crazy it not being finished. No sails at all will be on this one and that should cut the time down considerably.

Hi Donnie, most builders would be extremely proud of what you have done. You have done a superb job with what you have. Its the Ship blues kicking in. The SA kit I'm doing has far less info than the Panart has, I'm having to make it up as I go along on a long for a of it. I now know why there re not may build logs of her.

Your patience and skills are superb. No kit is perfect. They all have have challenges. Boring otherwise. Keep chipping away. Look at what you have achieved & learned with the kit challenges.

Keep going.

Hi Donnie, I remember saying the following to someone once before; nobody will inspect your model closer than six inches (and if they do drag them away!) The expression "Distance lends enchanchment to the view" is exactly that, only those madly interested in the hobby (like us) will give closer inspection and we don't critcsize unles asked for constuctive criticism.
Your model is fantastic given the time you took to build it compared to the Trinidad, YOU the MAN!!!
BTW, what has happened to the spell-check?

Well Guys, I appreciate the feedback. I still marvel at the other ships and workmanship here is awesome. It is good to come here to get inspired and to carry on....

Thanks

Well, I decided to take a break from the Channels and Chainplates - I only had one more to go, but then I just gave out and will come back to the last one later. In the meantime, I brought out the parts to make the Bowsprit, Crosstrees, etc. It is what it is. Sure ain't scratch built for sure. Just putting pieces together.

crosstree-bow-01.jpgcrosstree-bow-02.jpg

Donnie not only you one hell of a nice guy, your also one hell of a Craftsman Brother. love the Jig for the deadeyes and I also use standard solder I never had good success soldering with silver solder, it was always difficult to get it to stick with a soldering iron. I can torch it similar to brazing and It works perfectly for me but torching isn't always an option for this stuff.

Mike, Joe, et.al,

Thank you for the kind words. I really do appreciate it and it is taken with humility. So, onward with the bowsprit and (again) the plans say one thing on the dimenions and the book (instructions) say otherwise. I am referring to the placement of the cleats on the bowsprit. So, I kind of split the difference until I found a balance.
So, what I did before I mounted any cleats, I formed the mast, inserted into bow. Then I used a piece of mock up line (for the gammoning). I put all this in place and THEN marked off the locations of the cleats. IF, I had gone by the plans and instructions. The gammoning would have seriously been way off.
I have some minwax stain (Golden Oak and Natural) that I am going to try on the bowsprit. Peglegreg (Greg) suggested this.

I shall stop running my mouth and now the pics. First photo is horrible -

bowsprit-gammoning-01.jpg

bowsprit-gammoning-02.jpg

bowsprit-cleats-01.jpg

bowsprit-cleats-02.jpg

Back