Panart: San Felipe 1:75 Scale Build Log [COMPLETED BUILD]

Thank you for the kind words. I really appreciate it. Well, just some more rigging - focusing on all the braces. I made a huge mistake. The bracing blocks were supposed to be tied off at the Shrouds (it is fixed now). Earlier - I had those blocks tied to the Main Mast - what a huge mistake. I worked on this ship for almost 4 hours at one time today getting all my mistakes corrected.

full-view-01.jpg

full-view-02.jpg

full-view-03.jpg

full-view-04.jpg

full-view-05.jpg

full-view-06.jpg

full-view-07.jpg

Thank you all... I have to admit, I took a lot of shortcuts on this ship. I have to confess I broke the rule wide open and started just tying knots instead of properly seizing them. Sorry - just so tired of this... why try to be authentic when the model itself does not LEND itself to be authentic. In other words, f.e. not enough rigging line to authentically seize the shroud pairs at top of mast. they just wanted you to tie a knot at the top. I had to order some 15 extra spools of .15mm so that I could accomplish just this one thing. Wrong sizes too of rigging line. I have a huge spool of 1mm that the instructions only needed it for the standing stays. Sorry to complain, but I guess it is just dealing with it as just an experience.
My last build was the OcCre trinidad. What I liked about the plans was the MAST and YARDS were all on separate sheets. The rigging was on separate sheets (plates). This model has ALL the Mast, Yards, AND rigging all on ONE sheet. Very confusing as you only get in some cases only ONE view. You have to know to REPEAT for the other side. This can be very confusing to a new modeler as they only see ONE side of the rigging in most cases.
However, let me also confess that I AM NOT an expert !!!
I don;'t know what my next project will be. I can't decide between the Blandford or the ME Sopwith Camel.

Last edited:
Thank you dj56 and yes, Jim, I thought about the Alert too. Well, this is a shot showing how CA can be used to make the rigging off the Yards stiff. The point is that these lines look as if they have tension on them and they stay in place.

CA-on-Braces.jpg

Thank you all... I have to admit, I took a lot of shortcuts on this ship. I have to confess I broke the rule wide open and started just tying knots instead of properly seizing them. Sorry - just so tired of this... why try to be authentic when the model itself does not LEND itself to be authentic. In other words, f.e. not enough rigging line to authentically seize the shroud pairs at top of mast. they just wanted you to tie a knot at the top. I had to order some 15 extra spools of .15mm so that I could accomplish just this one thing. Wrong sizes too of rigging line. I have a huge spool of 1mm that the instructions only needed it for the standing stays. Sorry to complain, but I guess it is just dealing with it as just an experience.
My last build was the OcCre trinidad. What I liked about the plans was the MAST and YARDS were all on separate sheets. The rigging was on separate sheets (plates). This model has ALL the Mast, Yards, AND rigging all on ONE sheet. Very confusing as you only get in some cases only ONE view. You have to know to REPEAT for the other side. This can be very confusing to a new modeler as they only see ONE side of the rigging in most cases.
However, let me also confess that I AM NOT an expert !!!
I don;'t know what my next project will be. I can't decide between the Blandford or the ME Sopwith Camel.
Variety is the spice of life. Go with the Sopwith. Enjoy the change of pace.

thank you all for the comments. First - Snowy - wow - now that is a lot of rigging there. I know that took some time and commitment.
Barry, I think I will go for the camel
@DocBlake , well, it is just not in me to tackle too projects at the same time. I heard that the camel itself is a long haul of a project. Is this true ?

I really want my next project to be an Admiralty Style. The Blandford gives a taste without building the whole ship, then you have the Alert everyone is waiting on. So, it is going to be either the Blandford or the Camel.

So, I had to look this up, but I think it is called the Bonaventure Mizen Yard. Not sure. At any rate, here is the jig for the somewhat elaborate rigging and then I used a brass rod to help secure the yard to the mast until I wrap the wooldings around it.

jig-01.jpg

bonaventure-mizen-yard-01.jpg

bonaventure-mizen-yard-02.jpg

Not much of the latest. I ran out of single blocks. So, I had to make my own. Manually cutting them was getting me nowhere, so I resorted to the mill. The side that the rope wraps around (strop?) - I resorted to my Mill. I used a 1/32 (1mm) drill bit and flattened the end to home make an end mill. Worked pretty good. The side that has the rigging line running through the hole, I just use a mini saw with fine teeth to cut throse grooves. Overall , it is acceptable I guess.

blocks-02.jpgblocks-01.jpg

Not much of the latest. I ran out of single blocks. So, I had to make my own. Manually cutting them was getting me nowhere, so I resorted to the mill. The side that the rope wraps around (strop?) - I resorted to my Mill. I used a 1/32 (1mm) drill bit and flattened the end to home make an end mill. Worked pretty good. The side that has the rigging line running through the hole, I just use a mini saw with fine teeth to cut throse grooves. Overall , it is acceptable I guess.

Very good work - and now you would need a tumbler to round the edges of the blocks .....

So here are the final images. So, a huge failure on the server and I had to repost my work. Sorry folks. Just the nature of the program. We need an IT adminstrator.

final01.jpg

final02.JPG

final03.JPG

final04.JPG

final05.JPG

final06.JPG

final07.JPG

final08.JPG

final09.JPG

final10.JPG

Last edited:
Back