partly open main deck AL Bounty Build

Joined
Aug 8, 2020
Messages
133
Points
78

Location
Casco WI USA
I bought an AL Bounty 1:48 model that was on sale due to torn cover for $300 on Ebay credit who had a deal of no paying full until 6 months. So I was able to get the model and start building it. It was designed with a partially open main deck that allows people to see state rooms and the hold. I wanted to open up one side of the boat and show the lower decks but I found that that idea was faulty because It would need me to rebuild the hull and frames from scratch. So I gave up on that idea and am going to build it as was designed.
I can not find my camera so until I do that there are no pics. And that is good because I only want comments that are meaningful instead of a bunch of meaning congratulations and posting inflation for stripes.

I bought a tube of Testors "Cement for wood models" and tried to use it but it clogs at the nozzle and creates balls of goo that can not be used wasting more than I am able to use. Total waste of money.

Gorilla wood glue works fine just have to hold it a little while.

All the frames came out with a lot of Exacto knife work and were filed to fit on the keel board. For the most part they all where a tight fit and had no slop in the fitting. I give AL a A for their cutting.

Glued the frames in with a fillet of Gorilla on all sides and set the main hold floor. The hull form was checked and there is some wiggle but
 
Joined
Sep 5, 2017
Messages
1,688
Points
538

That is a nice kit... I have the same one. You got a great deal for $300.

Try Weldbond glue. It is a PVA that can be dissolved with rubbing alcohol in case you make a mistake. A real life saver. You can get it almost anywhere. You can also use nearly any type of Gel Super Glue (CA). Forget the old school Testors...

Good luck!!!
 
Joined
Aug 8, 2020
Messages
133
Points
78

Location
Casco WI USA
ok next installment of the log
They (Al) has lateral frame supports that are placed in the boat at the 7th step---It would be alot better to put them in along with glueing the frames on the keel because they help register the frames that way. Something to be aware of for other kit builders.

After observing the hull profile I found some discrepancy in the fair cutting of frames 5,7,9. They all are out of fair and will have to be shimmed above the water mark with the top maybe 1-1.5mm out of fair. Frame 8 needs shimming on the bottom of the frame. The tail frame was way out of square and had to be ground out and removed. Will work on the stern later.

The bow supports did not fit well and so I decided to free the two stem pieces from the walnut cutting to see how everything is going to fix but am having a hard time separating the pieces. 5mm of walnut is tough to cut with exacto knife and I wanted to save the surround so am having a hard time cutting them out.
 
Joined
Aug 8, 2020
Messages
133
Points
78

Location
Casco WI USA
Still have not found my camera but have problems with the boat station registration for fairing the ship. I cut some add on strips to pad the low areas on the frame members but I want to find my camera before I do anything else. That way I can show how I fix miss aligned or poor cut station bulkheads. One of these days I will find my camera and get back to work.
 

Uwek

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Dec 25, 2017
Messages
17,215
Points
938

Location
Vienna, Austria
I bought an AL Bounty 1:48 model that was on sale due to torn cover for $300 on Ebay credit who had a deal of no paying full until 6 months. So I was able to get the model and start building it. It was designed with a partially open main deck that allows people to see state rooms and the hold. I wanted to open up one side of the boat and show the lower decks but I found that that idea was faulty because It would need me to rebuild the hull and frames from scratch. So I gave up on that idea and am going to build it as was designed.
I can not find my camera so until I do that there are no pics. And that is good because I only want comments that are meaningful instead of a bunch of meaning congratulations and posting inflation for stripes.

I bought a tube of Testors "Cement for wood models" and tried to use it but it clogs at the nozzle and creates balls of goo that can not be used wasting more than I am able to use. Total waste of money.

Gorilla wood glue works fine just have to hold it a little while.

All the frames came out with a lot of Exacto knife work and were filed to fit on the keel board. For the most part they all where a tight fit and had no slop in the fitting. I give AL a A for their cutting.

Glued the frames in with a fillet of Gorilla on all sides and set the main hold floor. The hull form was checked and there is some wiggle but
Hallo @Balac
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
 
Top