passenger ferry boat PLEASURE

Dave Stevens (Lumberyard)

Staff member
Moderator
Sponsor
Joined
Dec 1, 2016
Messages
3,052
Points
578

A story of two cities Detroit and Windsor
and the ferrymen

The history of the ferrymen go way back to the time Detroit was a French fur trading outpost. Then the British took Detroit and finally the Americans. The best way to get to Detroit was by boat, and the boats landed on the north western shore of the Detroit river then fur traders would embark to points west.
After the war of 1812 British subjects took up residents on the Canadian side of the river in what is today Windsor. There was a mass migration across America after the war and Detroit was the gateway to the vast wilderness. Immigrants went to Buffalo then by boat or over land to Detroit. It was a shorter over land route from buffalo to Detroit on the North shore of lake Erie than the southern shore route. The northern route took you to the south eastern shore of the Detroit river thus the need to cross the river. Families of the ferrymen date way back to the early days when the area was largely French Canadians and a scattering of farms and a few businesses. The principal means of crossing the river was by rowing or sailing a bateaux, later to become a double ended sleek row boat. During the winter when the river froze over sleigh or skates were used to cross. However this proved a danger due to areas of broken or thin ice when many people lost their lives. To aid in crossing the river, in the winter the ferrymen would cross the ice and mark the route with large piles of brushwood. The ferrymen's job was indeed seasonal so during the winter the ferrymen would set up ice shacks along the way and sold booze to cold travelers. The tradition of the booze shacks remained into the 1900 as "duty free" sales of goods, because they were in the middle of the river.
In 1796 the British pack up and left Detroit according to the Jays Treaty. The British seat of government of the western district moved to the Canadian side to Sandwich. According to the treaty British subjects were allowed to keep homes and businesses in Detroit so there was an ever increasing volume of river traffic. It was the Americans who first set up a system of ferry owner licenses. The first ferry license was issued to John Askin on Feb 1 1798 Detroit's richest merchant and fur trader. From this day on river traffic came under the authority of the Court of General Quarter Session and Winthrop Sargent was the acting governor of the territory northwest of the Ohio river at the time.

historical note: the largest ferry passenger boat in the world was built on the Great lakes and converted to the first aircraft carrier.

In the old traditions of the ferrymen they loved to tell stories of their ventures. This was in a wild time for Canada and America when you found mountain men and rough fur trappers one of these guys was a French Canadian by the name of Francois Labalaine "this old and honorable servant" for the Hudson bay company in the North west territories, has taken on a more leisurely profession in the ferry service. It was Labalaine who pioneered the ferry services. He did empathize the meaning of "leisurely" and lover to hang out and tell stories to anyone on the docks. His wife had a huge tin mega horn made, and mounted on shore. When a customer arrived she would yell for "Francois" to get home business is waiting and waiting and waiting. It is recorded in the church records of the time you could hear her yell all the way across the river, which by the way is about a half mile. Fran the fur trader ferryman would sing and entertain his customers and his ferry business was more like a river excursion. Well you know it had to come and that's when the government stepped in and on December 2 , 1802 issued the first regulations for ferries. By this time Detroit and Windsor were growing fast and the need to ferry not only passengers but also horses, cattle, wagons and cargo. The government took the "leisure" right out of Frans ferry business. First regulation states a ferryman had to have two save ferry boats and one scow or flat. I am unable to define a "flat" i don't know if it is a raft or not. Regulation 2 from April to November a ferry service must be attended by two good and faithful men. Regulation 3 ferry services must start at sun rise "so much for sleeping in" and run until 10 pm. That's one long day of rowing. And finally regulation 4 a ferry service must be available at all times for mail and other public express. The government even set the prices for one person it was .12, a horse .50, pig and sheep .09, horned cattle .59 a carriage one horse one person one dollar. I noticed there was no fare for cargo i wonder if that's what "public express" is, free shipping for government and businesses that know someone in the government.
 
Last edited:

Dave Stevens (Lumberyard)

Staff member
Moderator
Sponsor
Joined
Dec 1, 2016
Messages
3,052
Points
578

After the war of 1812 there was a massive migration of immigrants to the great lakes, Cleveland Ohio known as Forest City was becoming a major ship building area. It was in Cleveland the horse powered boat was invented. A Mr. Burtis and Mr. McKinstry of Detroit heard of this new type of boat and though it might be good for the ferry business. So off they went to Cleveland to see this horse powered boat. As soon as they saw it, they bought the boat and brought it back to Detroit. The boat was named the Olive Branch it was 50 feet long and 32 feet wide. The boat was a modified scow with two large paddle wheels a midship. on deck was a large circular table with radiating spokes which made ridges on the surface. This table moved on rollers and was attached to the paddle wheels. Two ponies were harnessed across from each other and when they walked the table revolved and turned the paddle wheels. By 1825 the Gazette was being published in Detroit and news reports on the activities of the ferries were printed on a regular basis. The horse boat ran from about 1825 to 1831 but was eclipsed by steam power. The Argo was the first steam powered ferry boat to operate in the Detroit Windsor ferry service.
 

Dave Stevens (Lumberyard)

Staff member
Moderator
Sponsor
Joined
Dec 1, 2016
Messages
3,052
Points
578

The first steam ferry in Detroit was recorded as the Argo some 27 years after Robert Fulton made his historic steamboat trip on the Hudson river from New York to Albany in 1807. History books recorded Robert Fulton's steamboat the "Clermont" as the first successful steam boat. However a simple historic error back in 1807 continues to this day. When checking the custom house papers in New York there never was a steam boat registered as the "Clermont" Robert Fulton's first steam boat was named "North River steamboat" Clermont was the first town the 150 foot "North River" stopped at on its way to Albany. Some how the towns name was given to the steamboat.

Seems the English were a bit ahead of America in steam engines as the engine for Fulton's first steamboat was made by a Mr. James Watt of England and sent to New York in pieces.

Robert Fulton and his partner had a grand idea to build steamboats for all the nations great rivers so a six month voyage was undertaken to explore the river systems to evaluate the possibility of building steamboats on the river system. Fulton built a steamboat the New Orleans in Pittsburgh . The experts of the time said Fulton's idea of steamboats on rivers was foolish. They said you could sail down river to New Orleans but you could not sail back against the strong river currents. Well Fulton proved the experts wrong, the New Orleans steamed its way up and down the Ohio and Mississippi river.
Fulton was quite the businessman as well as an inventor. He struck a deal with the state of New York giving him and his company exclusive rights to build and operate steamboats on the Hudson river as well as through out the state of New York. These exclusive rights didn't stop the Canadians in Montreal they got hold of Fulton's design and built two steamboats the Accommodation and the Dalhousie these two steamboats ran up and down the St Lawrence in 1809. By 1817 the Canadians built a steamboat on lake Ontario called the Frontenac and the Americans built one named the Ontario. It didn't take long to realize these boats weren't strong enough for the lakes and they were beaten apart by storms. A year later a steamboat was built on lake Erie named Walk-in- the-Water. She steamed her way from Buffalo to Cleveland and Detroit finally meeting her fate as she was broken apart by a storm on the lake. The engine was salvaged and another steamer was built named the Superior. Mean time back in New York in 1824 the Supreme Court of the United States over ruled the exclusive rights given to Fulton and his company as being unconstitutional. This caused an explosion in the design and construction of steamboats from the east coast as far west as the rivers ran when ship builders got into the business of building steamboats.
 

Dave Stevens (Lumberyard)

Staff member
Moderator
Sponsor
Joined
Dec 1, 2016
Messages
3,052
Points
578

There was a trade route established from New York to Albany to Buffalo then on to Cleveland and finally to Detroit. Beginning with the first steam ferry Argo each ferry built was getting bigger and bigger, even though there was a migration on people and goods moving into the area this alone couldn't account for the rapid expansion of the ferry business. By the time the Pleasure was built it was advertised she would carry 3,000 passengers. What happened, Detroit was becoming a major industrial center while Windsor was developing into the suburbs. People would go to work in Detroit and at the end of the work day take the ferries home to the neighborhoods and farm lands of Windsor. There were a total of 38 steamers built from 1830 to 1928 about one every 3 years. In the early days the ferry business it was getting more and more competitive and the ferrymen began to turn on each other, there was the question of a monopoly, and the highest levels of Canadian and American governments getting involved, and at the root of it all the money to be made. Government realized the very economy of the area rested square on the shoulders of the ferrymen; they could make it or break it. Although from the beginning it was the American government who first tried to control the ferrymen and the Canadians had a much more relaxed position on the issue. but when the Canadians finally put there foot down it change everything. We will get to that later.
What we have is a large part of the population going to work everyday in Dertoit and going home to Windsor. Even though the competition was intense for daytime fares the ferrymen agreed among them they would not run after rush hour traffic. The reason could be the ferrymen also owned stores, taverns and hotels. So if you missed the last ferry or it was full you were stuck in Detroit for the night. The town government tried to force the ferrymen to run the ferries at night but they insisted there was no profit in keeping the boats running after 6 pm. Besides the ferrymen had night jobs of putting nickels under the pillows of children who lost a tooth.
Some of Windsor's high society got together and went to see a captain John Horn of Detroit. They asked him if he would run a night ferry and this influential Canadian group promised captain Horn their loyal support as well as a license from Windsor. Their reason to run the ferry was so they could attend things like the opera or the theater and night life in the city. Then take an excursion back to Windsor. First Captain Horn went to the other ferry captains because they all agreed not to run after 6, The other captain agreed to allow Horn to run his ferry at night. They figured it would not last long because there was no profit in it. Ferry boats were starting to cost more and more to build so John Horn rather than build a ferry, bought a screw driven vessel from Mr. Stager who ran out of money and abandoned the project. All ferryboats up to this time were either stern or side wheel driven this was the first screw driven ferryboat to appear. Another big change in ferry boats was they were starting to close in the deck. The early boats like the Argo were open decked vessels.
 

Dave Stevens (Lumberyard)

Staff member
Moderator
Sponsor
Joined
Dec 1, 2016
Messages
3,052
Points
578

The story of Captain Horn is interesting because out of the ferry wars came some new innovative ideas. Captain Horn made a deal with the other ferry captains. He would just run his ferry after 6 pm and not during the day, the others would not run at night. Well the idea of a night ferry excursion boat caught on and captain horn was running a full boat night after night. The other ferry captains went back on their word and started to run night ferries. So Captain horn decided to run during the day. Remember it was the Canadian high society that said they would support Horn if he would accommodate them. When Horn started to run during the day people would fill his ferry first and even go to the point of waiting for him to return before they would take another ferry. This really irked the other ferry captains so they went to Mr. Stager the builder Horn bought the boat from and asked him how long the keel was. Stager said well if I remember right she was say 60 foot on the keel. The ferrymen went to Detroit town council and forced them to pass a law saying all ferry boats 60 foot or less on the keel could not run, thinking this would stop Horn. The very next day Captain horn dry docked his ferry the FAVORITE and measured the keel, he laughed all the way home she was 62 and one half foot long. He had the measurement painted all along the hull. One bright idea Horn had while the Favorite was in dry dock was to sheet the bow in steel plates. ( he might of sheeted the entire hull ) You see the ferry boats had to stop running when the river froze over, Horn thought if he could make his boat heavy enough and strong enough he could "cut" through the ice rather than smash it with the paddle wheels. With a prop under the water he could push his way through the ice.
With Horn still being able to run, the ferrymen would block the docks so Horn could not dock and load passengers. Horn didn't have big side paddle wheels to contend with so he would approach a dock and nudge his bow between the dock and the stern of a ferryboat then with his steel enforced bow he would wedge his way between the docks and the other ferry boats cutting their mooring lines and setting them adrift in the river. Next was the ferry fare wars The owners started to slash the fares to attract passengers, they even hired a band to play while you were on board, they were trying everything and the competition was becoming cut throat. One idea was the 10 cent all day fare. As long as you didn't get off the boat you could ride all day long. This worked as an excursion idea where you could ride all day and take in the band. But who could just sit on a ferry all day long? The ladies figured it out they took the kids to the ferry and for a dime put them aboard and they went off shopping or having lunch or tea the ladies just hung out with other ladies or took the day off to themselves. This became known as the 10 cent baby sitter. A young lady would even hire herself as a nanny and sit on the ferry to watch the kids. You can just imagine the cranky Captains having to deal with a boat load of kids all day long. The 10 cent floating day care ended quickly. Now you can mess with the town council, you can mess with the government, you can even mess with other captains, but mess with the ladies and take away their 10 cent day care oh man bad idea! The ladies got even with the ferry captains that’s for sure.
 

Dave Stevens (Lumberyard)

Staff member
Moderator
Sponsor
Joined
Dec 1, 2016
Messages
3,052
Points
578

it was the experts that were holding up the ferryboat designs. first they said you cant build a boat out of iron or steel because the boat would sink. Secondly you can not build decks above the hull because the boat would be top heavy and roll over. Third sidewheels were better than a prop. Building a boat was a big investment so you would want to go with what the "experts" think. Up to the time of Captain Horn and his boat the Favorite the ferryboats were all wood, single decked and had side paddlewheels. Ship building on the lakes dated back some 150 years to the French, the English has a royal dockyard at Kingston, the largest first rate men of wars were built on the lakes, so there were some innovative thinkers around. Cleveland was rising as a major ship building center. Thousands of schooners were on the lakes and small shipyards were everywhere. The Canadians, Jenking brothers had a ship yard and built several ferryboats. In the earlier days the captains and builders were one in the same, owner, builder and operator. As the ferry business grew ship builders built and sold their ships to business men and captains. The Jenkings were a shipyard but decided to get into the ferry business and built and ran the ferry Essex. One of the major owners of ferry boats was a Mr. W.P. Campbell who later played a major part in the ferry business. There are no plans of the early ferryboats, best one can find are newspaper drawings. However the Jenkings may have drawings, i didn't look into their company.


For sure the ferry captains would not win any awards for sportsmanship, that's for sure.

One captain leased all the dock space in Detroit so no other ferry could dock except at the city docks. He ran himself bankrupt just trying to get all the fares. The ferry wars were even getting dangerous as ferryboats would run into each other just trying to get to the docks first. One ferry ran into a yatch killing a group of young boys. To build a ferry boat started around $9,000 but finally costing $50,000.00 so to run a ferry it was a big investment

this little 1/2 mile piece of river played such a big part in history it was also the end of the underground railroad. during the civil war thousands of slaves and draft dodgers flooded on the ferry boats to get to Canada

Windsor was considered the Frontier line, the end of civilization. people were not all that concerned about what was going on there. But in 1856 Windsor became an official port of entry and that means customs and that means smuggling and lots of it.
The ferry boat cabins were filled with empty boxes from items hidden under a coat or strapped to your back side. One day sitting in the old Windsor Castle a tavern and gathering place sat Oliver Bates, in came George Harper and sat down with Oliver. "Well Oliver i hear you finally retired" "yup i hear you did to, finally ended years as a customs agent did ya". Let me ask you Oliver since we both retired what were you smuggling all those years? You know we looked over those buggies from top to bottom and front to back, only thing we found was a pot or pan every once in a while. you couldn't possibly made a living selling fry pans to housewives.
now you see Oliver would get on one ferry cross the river and come back on another ferry, this way no two captains knew if Oliver was on foot or not, coming or going.
Let me tell you George "buy me another ale and i just might tell ya. We all knew you were a smuggler we even took the seat out of the buggy thinking you were smuggling something under the seat. Well George you sure did search those buggies so let me tell you "i was smuggling "buggies"



There wasn't much going on in the ferry business in the 1850s. Everything was nice and quiet. There was the first steam boat the Argo, she was only 42 feet long and 9 feet wide with a depth of hold of 2 feet. She ran on a 4 horsepower engine. Then the Jenkings family built the United a 80 foot length with a 20 foot beam and rated as a 70 ton vessel. The Mohawk was built in Kingston at the royal dock yards by the Brits, then sold out of service and turned into a steam ferry. She was used in the revenue service. All in all there were 7 ferries built. It was in December of 1854 Canada made Windsor a port of entry and things began to get interesting. First off this was a smugglers paradise, then the ferry fare wars, and the cut throat running of business. I would assume the docks and ferry boats were taking a turn towards the less than desirable part of society.
 

Dave Stevens (Lumberyard)

Staff member
Moderator
Sponsor
Joined
Dec 1, 2016
Messages
3,052
Points
578

Remember it was the Canadian high society that supported Captain Horn and the 10 cent baby sitters day care ferries. When that vanished the influential citizens of Canada went after the ferry operators. first the ladies complained about the behavior of those who sailed and worked aboard the ferries, saying the word gentlemen was quite questionable. The ladies didn't stop there no sir, next they called the ferries "The Pig Sty ferries" the conditions were not fit for man nor beast. The crew members were ban from the passenger deck, a rough bunch of dirty guys i guess. To protect the kids the ladies kept up the pressure saying the kids were getting sick because they were made to sit in a cabin so thick with vile ill smelling pipe smoke. As the "citizens" of Windsor applied more and more pressure they didn't even like the size of the cabins saying they were chicken coops. The ladies did get smoking ban on the ferries. Back in those days the ladies had dresses that were long and often hit the ground. Next they went after men who chew tobacco because they would spit on the deck and the dress hems would drag and pick up this most discussing expectorate as well as exposing the young to such a dirt habit. The ferryboats used cord wood for the steam engines, to load the hold the crew spread snow on the decks so they could bring the sleds right on board to unload them, rather than unload the sleds on dock and carry the wood onboard. The crew either could no longer use ice roads or they had to clean the decks for the ladies. At the beginning the citizens appreciated the ferries but now demands were being put on the ferrymen for bigger boats, better services, clean cabins and in general clean up their act. Ferrymen were now getting pressed due to the rise in cost to build bigger and better ferries and the cost to run and maintain the ferries and the docks.
 

Dave Stevens (Lumberyard)

Staff member
Moderator
Sponsor
Joined
Dec 1, 2016
Messages
3,052
Points
578

finally the captains started to come to reason, the fare wars and higher and higher costs were not doing anyone any good. They had to work together in order to survive. And Canada who was so lay back in the beginning took a drastic change. The big mother of all the ladies Queen Victoria put her big royal government foot down. She gave the city of Windsor a ferry lease and total control with conditions and requirements for ferry owners. This became the holy grail of the captains and owners of ferries it would be a monopoly if they had the franchise. Independent owner after owner were turned down for the franchise, until one man came along and formed a ferry company to include all the ferry owners. He got the franchise but had to give his word he would clean up the ferry business.
 

Dave Stevens (Lumberyard)

Staff member
Moderator
Sponsor
Joined
Dec 1, 2016
Messages
3,052
Points
578

it was Frank Kirby who united "all" the shipbuilders on the Great Lakes and formed one big company The American Ship building company
There was a man who was a prodigy, at the age of 9 he began to show an advanced skill of engineering and drafting. born in Ohio Frank Kirby lived his youth in Cleveland. His father Stephen Kirby was a successful business man and when Frank turned 14 his father moved the family to Saginaw Mich. where he built a hotel, several mills and formed the Detroit dry dock company where he built numerous sailing ships and steamboats. Frank Kirby at the age of 15 was employed as a draftsman. Rather than staying in the family business Frank went to New York City and with the help of his fathers business associates, he enrolled in the Cooper institute, the only technical school of its kind in the United States. At the time Kirby was in New York it was a major ship building center. Frank attended evening classes and during the day he would sit in the ship yards and watch ship being built. At school Frank Kirby studied marine design and ship construction, every waking moment he spent devoted to this interest. Through various connections Frank Kirby was introduced to a Mr. Belknap who was the consulting engineer and the first supervising inspector general of the government steamboat inspection service.
Mr. Belknap told Frank Kirby only a boy of 17 years old he had a job for him. Mr Belknap was in charge of building two ferryboats and wanted young Frank to work on the engine drawings at the Allaire Works the oldest and most famous engine building company in America. While in school Frank continued to work at Allaire engine plant and also did side jobs working on pumping station engines in New Jersey. Working in the wet environment of the pumping stations frank developed muscular rheumatism. Frank needed the care of a doctor who lived in Detroit, so Frank decided to move to Detriot. An old friend of Franks father Mr. Hoyt wired Frank and said he and Mr. Ward will join him on the train to Detroit. Mr Ward was the president of the Marquette railroad and a leading figure of industry of the day. On that train ride to Detroit Mr Ward talked to Frank on the idea of building iron ships. At this time there was a great deal of doubt as to whether iron ship would float, but Mr Ward felt it could be done. An agreement was reached between Mr Ward and Frank Kirby to build a ship yard in Wyandotte Mich. right next to MR. Wards iron mill and rolling mills. At the age of 21 Frank Kirby was handed all the money he needed, the land and anything else to form the Wyandotte ship building company. When the company was formed and the yard built Frank Kirby and his father left for Glasgow Scotland to learn how to build iron ships. By the time the Kirby's returned to Detroit the great panic gripped the country and halted any ship building in the yard. Frank went to work supervising the building of the Soo locks, then the Detroit Dry dock co obtained the contracts to build new vessels for the Detroit & Cleveland Navigation co. The Wyandotte yard was leased to do the work and Frank went to work for 25% of the profit. Franks Wyanotte shipyard was purchased by the Detroit Dry Dock Co. and Frank became the chief engineer and naval architect of the merged companies. At one point the company was the major builder of great lakes ships and they were turning a healthy profit. A ship sold for $93,000.00 within a year resold for $240,000.00 then within months changed hands again for $360,000.00 everyone wanted in on the profits of shipping. This demand for ships stimulated others to go into the ship building business and before long there were yards mushrooming up everywhere. The problem arose when the competition grew so stiff ships were being sold for less than their construction costs. Frank Kirby gave this condition special thought and came up with the idea a merger was needed in order for the ship building industry to survive. After a couple years Frank Kirby formed the American Ship Building Company that took in all the ship yards in the Great Lakes.
In the years Frank Kirby worked in Detroit he designed and built over 200 ships and built all the ships for all the shipping companies and railroad car ferries. In his career his main headquarters were in Detroit but he kept a New York office. He build dry docks for the Canadian government, worked as a consultant for the siberian railway in Russia, supervised construction for the Hudson river steamboats, he designed the grain elevators in New Jersey and Ontario Canada. frank also designed and built all the ferry steamers for the city of St. louis, he was the consulting engineer for the ferryboats in New York harbor. His work also took him to China, Japan, Europe, south America and every state in the union. And if that wasn't enough he worked for the war department in the spanish-american war and WW1 his duties were the inspection, selection, and refitting ships for troop transportation, and the engineer for the submarine boat corp at Newark. On the weekends he would assist the ford motor company in building the eagle boats. Kirby was also called on by the US government to revise and rewrite the rules for safeguarding life in the US marine passenger service.
In Frank Kirby's life he was an active member of The Army and Navy club of Detroit, Engineers club of New York city, Member of the Detroit engineering society, Also a member of the American society of Mechanical Engineers, American society of Naval Architects and marine engineers, member of the naval institute, royal society of arts, institute of engineers and ship builders of Scotland and London institute of naval architects.

Frank Kirby was a busy, busy man.

the Pleasure was just one of the ships Frank Kirby designed and built.
 

Dave Stevens (Lumberyard)

Staff member
Moderator
Sponsor
Joined
Dec 1, 2016
Messages
3,052
Points
578

city of detroit.jpg

d3-built-loc.jpg

d3-burton.jpg


City of Detroit III



In the era before jetliners and freeways, many Detroiters traveled in floating hotels, and for nearly forty years, the City of Detroit III whisked families away aboard the most opulent palace sailing the Great Lakes.

At the beginning of the 20th century, trips on smoke-belching steamships were commonplace, whether Detroiters boarded steamers to Belle Isle or ferries across the Detroit River to Canada. But such voyages were not only pleasure cruises, they were also one of the main ways people navigated around the Midwest.

One of the most popular lines was the Detroit & Cleveland (D&C) Navigation Co., the greatest of the so-called night lines, a sort of maritime “red eye” on which passengers boarded in the evening, slept the night away and awoke the next morning at their destinations. D&C passengers took overnight trips from spring through fall, enjoying dinner and drinks as the ship steamed onward east to Cleveland or Buffalo, New York, or north to the Straits of Mackinac.

The D&C line was born in 1850 as the Detroit & Cleveland Steamboat Line, when Captain Arthur Edwards began operating two small paddle vessels — the Southerner and the Baltimore — with overnight service between Detroit and Cleveland. The line was incorporated in 1868 as the Detroit & Cleveland Steam Navigation Company, but about ten years later, it was taken over by James McMillan, one of the most influential figures during Detroit’s rise to wealth and prominence. McMillan was the line’s principal figure and would later become a Republican U.S. senator and co-found the Union Trust Co., which built the city’s landmark Guardian Building. He also was president of the Detroit Dry Dock Co., which, conveniently enough, built steamships. With McMillan’s family at the helm, the D&C line would flourish and become the stuff of Detroit legend. The fleet had “the largest boats, the heaviest traffic, and, save for the Old Bay Line, the longest survival of any of the major lines,” George W. Hilton wrote in The Night Boat, a chronicle of overnight steamers of the United States.

Building the queen of the Great Lakes
Having weathered not only the Panic of 1873 but also the subsequent Depression of 1893, business was booming for D&C at the turn of the century. The company set a course to build the fleet that would serve it until the line’s end. This new D&C armada would be designed by the greatest naval architect of the Great Lakes, Frank E. Kirby. He was already D&C’s architect of choice, seeing his first effort for the firm launched in 1878, when the first City of Detroit slid from the dockyard slipway.

Kirby is perhaps the most important American naval architect ever, and he is best remembered by metro Detroiters for designing the beloved Boblo boats, the Columbia and the Ste. Claire. But more than pleasure boats sprang from Kirby’s drawing board. He also was the father of modern ice-breaking technology and was appointed by President Theodore Roosevelt to revise the standards for construction and operation of steamboats throughout the United States. Put simply, in the maritime world, Kirby was a very, very big deal.

The first two vessels of D&C’s grand fleet would be the Eastern States and Western States, which were ready for service between Detroit and Buffalo in 1902. The move was considered risky at the time, but it would pay off, proving even more successful than the company’s popular Cleveland run. In 1907, D&C added the City of Cleveland III, a remarkable design by Kirby and his greatest design to that point. But a few years later, Kirby would outdo himself.

In 1911, D&C commissioned Kirby to build the largest steel-hulled passenger side-wheeler on the Great Lakes, the City of Detroit III—the vessel many would consider Kirby’s crowning achievement. The Saturday Evening Post declared the D&C flotilla the “Wonderful Arks of the Great Lakes.” Hilton wrote that “Kirby’s last four side-wheelers for [D&C],” which included the City of Detroit III, “were the supreme flowering of the night boat as a class of marine architecture.

Of these masterful vessels, the City of Detroit III was the most expensive, largest and most luxurious passenger freshwater vessel afloat at the time it was built. “In construction of the City of Detroit III, nothing that money could buy has been omitted in an effort to make the ship the most modern model of shipbuilding skill” with “every essential to the comfort and care of passengers, with palatial furnishings, fittings and decorations,” the journal Ohio Architect, Engineer and Builder wrote in May 1912.

More than 6,000 people turned out to see the City of Detroit III launched at the Wyandotte, Mich., yard of the Detroit Shipbuilding Company on Oct. 7, 1911. Among the dignitaries on hand were Kirby, Detroit mayor William B. Thompson and a number of D&C officials and luminaries. The vessel was christened by Doris McMillan, the granddaughter of the senator. The Detroit Free Press provided the play-by-play: “Tense silence, the scarcely audible thump of a sharp-bladed ax biting through hempen bonds, a creaking of timbers, the splintering crackle of breaking glass, then an ear-filling, nerve-jarring volume of sound, ending in a mighty crash as the water displaced by the great mass of steel swept the opposite side of the slip.”

While the boat was tied up at the foot of Orleans Street, an army of carpenters, painters, decorators, machinists and steelworkers swarmed over the vessel and worked frantically to have it ready in time for the opening of the Detroit–Buffalo steamship travel season. The Free Press noted at this point of construction that it looked like “a human anthill.” And the ants moved quickly. In little more than a month’s time, on Nov. 15, with the engines and machinery in place, the hull was turned over to the builders and craftsmen. Twenty-five working days later, five stories of cabins rose from the deck, and the roof was in place. The next five months would be spent applying the finishing touches—carving the balustrades and banisters, painting the walls and decking the vessel out—to say nothing of installing more than two thousand windows.

After much anticipation — thanks in large part to the constant coverage in the newspapers — the queen of the Great Lakes was ready to sail on May 30, 1912. But the vessel would initially find itself in rough waters. Shortly after 10 a.m., as the City of Detroit III was pulling out of the dock, a miscommunication to the engine room resulted in it clobbering the Joseph C. Suit, a small wooden passenger and freight carrier that had been moored at dock. There were no injuries because the City of Detroit III’s crew was able to holler warnings to the nine people aboard the Suit to get out of the way. The dinky 110-foot vessel was ripped from its moorings and got wedged between the anchor and port rudder of the colossal boat. The Suit was dragged about 200 feet downstream, and a tug had to pry the boat out of the giant’s clutches. The Suit, which was built in 1884, sank almost immediately. Understandably, the mammoth marvel’s arrival was delayed a bit, and it didn’t pull in until shortly after 6:15 p.m. The rest of the vessel’s voyages, however, would prove to be smooth sailing.

The D-III, as it was known, cost $1.5 million (the equivalent of $31.8 million today, when adjusted for inflation). Structurally, there was perhaps no sturdier vessel on the lakes. The five-story floating fortress had a 455-foot-long hull of steel. It was the largest side-wheeler in the world when it was built — its paddle wheel was about 30 feet in diameter and had paddles 8 feet wide. For perspective, it was about as long as a forty-five-story skyscraper is tall.

“When you refer to the City of Detroit III as a leviathan, you are well within the bounds of conservatism, for … it is some boat,” the Free Press wrote. For perspective, six laps around the Great Lakes goliath’s hurricane deck would tally a mile. The D-III’s capacity was 5,000 day passengers, though it usually carried far fewer, and no more than 1,500 on an overnight voyage.

In accordance with its general scale, three smokestacks eight and a half feet in diameter towered three stories over the main deck. These smoke-belching monsters were fed by dozens of men slinging coal to feed the fires that powered the mighty vessel. The stacks were vertical, not slanted — a signature of Kirby’s designs.

It was a significant milestone and testament to the burgeoning growth and economic rise of Detroit and the Midwest. And when its bow cut through the waves at night, its 2,700 lights must have made it look like a giant floating light show. What a sight it must have been for those stuck on shore.

An esteemed steamer
And if its size alone didn’t knock Detroiters’ socks off, it was a looker on the inside, too. Considered to be the ultimate in elegance, style and comfort, the D-III offered the type of luxury usually reserved for ocean liners. The Marine Review, which chronicled the maritime activities of its time, lauded the D-III in 1912, describing its eight-thousand-horsepower engines in detail, the complete fire alarm system that protected its passengers, its speed of 22 miles per hour and, above all, the stunning elegance that held its own against any landlocked hotel of the day.

While Kirby designed the ship and its exteriors, its sumptuous interiors were the work of Louis O. Keil. He and Kirby were something of a team, working together on many of the side-wheelers that cruised the Great Lakes. The D-III proved to be Keil’s masterpiece, too — and the center of his masterpiece was the ornate Gothic Room.

The Gothic Room was a men’s smoking lounge on the upper deck that wrapped around two of the D-III’s three smokestacks. The room was designed “for timorous males who prefer the society of their own sex,” the Free Press wrote. As the name implies, the room was in the Gothic style and featured graceful arches of English oak throughout. At its center was a large, five-paneled Tiffany stained-glass window depicting René-Robert Cavelier de LaSalle’s landing in Detroit. A pipe organ filled the room with music. Between the Gothic architecture, organ and stained glass, visitors might have felt more like they were smoking in a church than in a lounge. It was heralded as the most beautiful room ever to be installed in a ship. There was a lovely carved mantel around the fireplace, spacious settees and comfy upholstered chairs.

The smoking lounge wasn’t the only room decked out in elegant detail. Artisans expertly crafted plaster and carved exquisite woodwork to line the ship from bow to stern. Balustraded staircases, gorgeous paintings, muraled ceilings and candelabras adorned its interior.

After boarding, passengers would step into the hardwood-paneled lobby and go to the purser’s office window to grab keys to their rooms. Then it was up a staircase into the Grand Salon. It would have been an impressive sight as you came to the top of the stairs. There, passengers were wowed by seven large mythology-themed murals on the ceiling and a large painting on each of the two staircase landings. This was the work of noted muralist William de Leftwich Dodge of New York, whose paintings beautify everything from the Library of Congress to Buffalo City Hall. Dodge was tapped to spice up the D-III, and he painted a seductive siren at the top of a salon staircase and the grand ladies who posed and pirouetted on the ceiling. A trident-wielding baby Neptune held court under the wistful gaze of cupids and nymphs. “It almost reminded you of a European cathedral,” recalled Gordon Luther, 81, of Oviedo, Fla., the beauty of Dodge’s work still fresh in his mind all these years later. Classical statuary struck poses above the large murals, and plaster friezes and ornate leaf motif columns framed them.

The promenade deck was built of the finest imported mahogany, while the upper and gallery decks featured painted paneling. There also were three moon-shaped, or “lunette,” panels in the dome that arched high over the staircase.

“It was big,” recalls Detroiter Frederick E. Weber, now in his late 80s. He worked on the D-III as a baggage handler in the vessel’s later years. “Going on for the first time, it would be like going on one of the old ocean liners.

“If it was your first trip, it’d awestruck a young person,” said Weber, who grew up with steamers. His father worked as chief steward on the beloved Detroit steamer Tashmoo from 1920 to 1923.

The D-III had 25 parlor staterooms for society’s upper crust, lavishly outfitted in hardwoods with private baths and a veranda from which to enjoy the fresh air and beautiful lake views. Rooms came equipped with electric fans, a chest of drawers, a sofa or settee and a large mirror. Softly colored floral paintings dotted the decorative panels that lined the walls. There also were 21 slightly less opulent semi-parlors that featured private baths. The vessel’s 477 staterooms, however, were less than lavish. Travelers had to go down the hall to use the bathrooms. And the room itself was a tight squeeze, measuring only about seven by 7 feet in which were crammed an upper and lower bed, a sink and maybe a fold-down stool, if you were lucky. But the rooms were suitable enough for the overnight voyages between Detroit, Buffalo and Cleveland. And no matter where you bunked on the D-III, all of its staterooms sported telephones, hot and cold running water and clean-air ventilation.

Meals and top-shelf service were offered in the colonial-style dining room, which seated 350 people and was located at the back of the boat on the main deck. The room was outfitted in white enamel-painted woodwork and ringed by windows, a practical yet new innovation on steamships at the time. The room featured painted canvas ceiling panels, and there was mahogany wainscoting throughout. Higher-brow travelers dined in mahogany and gilded private rooms.

The Palm Court was a popular spot for guests to relax and unwind in a wicker chair as the boat chugged along. It was located on the upper deck at the back of the ship and showcased a fountain, as well as flower boxes and an ivy-garlanded trellis that wrapped the walls. The room itself was finished in poplar, and in the center of the room was an open gazebo, a ring of classical columns forming its boundaries. The Palm Court’s doors, cornices and canvas paneling were all done in a soft and restful shade of gray. The dome that soared over the Palm Court’s open light was full of leaded glass.

The Marie Antoinette drawing room was on the gallery deck, directly under the Palm Court, and was painted in gray tones and cerulean blue. It “will be a delight to the ladies, for whose use it is especially planned,” the Free Press wrote. “Although the sterner sex will not be barred from sharing its beauties.”

The ship also had a bar modeled after a 17th-century-style Rhine wine cellar. “The atmospheric beauty and charm of this room have won praise of decorators and designers from many states and countries,” the Free Press wrote. “Costing $300,000, and built only after exhaustive study of ancient European drinking places, the Detroit III’s cool and comfortable cocktail lounge…excellently reproduces the picturesque drinking room of 300 years ago.” The room was covered in Pewabic tiles and fashioned with massive, hand-hewn oak beams with a large oak bar at one end. Behind the bar was a mural of a gnome painting a frog. The little critters were the D&C’s mascot. Also behind the bar were heavy oaken doors leading to the liquor and wine storage chamber. Travelers would kick back on heavy leather-covered settees or sit on the fine leather benches that lined the wall. The light fixtures were of wrought iron and patterned after old European candleholders, and in keeping with the motif, simulated spider webs and bats festooned the ceiling and walls.
 

Dave Stevens (Lumberyard)

Staff member
Moderator
Sponsor
Joined
Dec 1, 2016
Messages
3,052
Points
578

All aboard
The D&C travelers would board the D-III or its fleet mates at the foot of Third Street, on the west side of downtown. The vessels would unload their guests at these docks and then steam back to the sheds west of Third, where they would unload their freight and load up the next day’s goods. The D-III would then pull back up to the foot of Third, where the next round of passengers would board.

The ship line usually catered to more upper-class patrons, Weber recalled, “office people, doctors, lawyers. Sometimes baseball teams would take the boats. Other times, it would be big bands making their way from Detroit to Cleveland and sometimes to Cedar Point, ” he said. “The trains were faster,” Weber said. “But the boats were restful.”

From about 1908 until 1953, the D&C ships lined the Detroit riverfront between Third and Wayne, known today as Washington Boulevard. For nearly four decades in Detroit, this bustling span of waterfront was one of the more dynamic parts of the city and a major Detroit transportation hub. During the D&C era, it was estimated that ten million people embarked on D&C trips, the Detroit wrote in 1953. Trains would steam into town at the nearby Michigan Central Railroad Depot at Jefferson Avenue and Third Street. A short walk away, rail passengers could then transfer to a steamer at the Union Depot. The Wayne Hotel along this stretch of the river was itself a beacon, drawing visitors to Detroit with its famous baths and steamship docks offering cruises to Belle Isle.

This buzzing transportation hub also featured the lavish Wayne Gardens and Pavilion, an auditorium, a concert hall and a cabaret. In a normal “good season,” the D&C line carried 400,000 passengers, and “hundreds of thousands of others danced, dined or skated in the Gardens and the adjoining pavilion before World War I—or watched Detroit’s early auto shows there,” the wrote in 1953.

Newlyweds would often stay at the Wayne Hotel, enjoy the sights, and then sail away on their honeymoons, making their way to Niagara Falls via Buffalo, with the line throwing a carnival-like send-off for the brides and grooms. Other D&C travelers took daytrips or lake cruises up to watch the annual Port Huron to Mackinac sailboat race or chartered group excursions.

People flocked to the Detroit River to watch the D-III’s three belching stacks fill the air with thick black smoke and its massive paddle wheels churn as it made her way across Lake Erie. Patrons gladly forked over $3.50 (about $35 today) to sail from Detroit to Buffalo in such luxury. An extra buck got you a spot in one of the staterooms.

The Buffalo line, established in 1902, proved to be incredibly popular, even more so than the route to Cleveland. As the largest steamer of the company, the D-III was originally intended for the Buffalo service, but the D&C line was so successful during the 1920s that the company built a pair of even larger ships. The Greater Detroit and the Greater Buffalo were built in 1924 and based on Kirby’s design for the D-III — only bigger. The Greaters cost $3.5 million each (about $42 million a piece when adjusted for inflation) and were the largest paddle steamers ever constructed. They were each 519 feet long — just shy of two football fields. That made them about 65 feet longer than the D-III, and the new kids on the dock forced the D-III back to the Detroit–Cleveland run.

Luther didn’t ride on the D-III when it plied the Great Lakes, but he did sail on the Greater Detroit. “The D&C steamers were such works of art,” he said. “They were a delight to travel on, a very comfortable way to travel, and absolutely beautiful. When I first saw them, I was amazed man could build such beautiful, colossal machines.”

In 1931, the exalted D&C as “one of the most important passenger and package freight lines operating upon the inland waters of the United States.” But things started to slow down at the foot of Third. With the rise of the automobile, many travelers opted to take their trips into their own hands and hit the road—even before freeways paved the way. The Michigan Central Railroad had pulled up stakes and left the area for Corktown, building the massive Michigan Central Station that today stands abandoned. Business slowed to a crawl for the old Wayne Hotel, and its doors were soon shuttered. The D&C ships were the only attraction luring people down to the old hub, and even then, their numbers were few. As more cars rolled off Detroit’s assembly lines and more Americans got behind the wheel, the D&C scaled back the number of its runs; others were canceled altogether. The sun had set on the golden age of passenger steamers on the Great Lakes.
 

Dave Stevens (Lumberyard)

Staff member
Moderator
Sponsor
Joined
Dec 1, 2016
Messages
3,052
Points
578

The end of the line
D&C managed to stay afloat through the Great Depression, though it lost more than $2.8 million from 1930 to 1935 (about $42 million when adjusted for inflation). The Greater Buffalo and Greater Detroit — the two largest paddle-wheelers in the world — were laid up. The company continued to operate at a loss of hundreds of thousands of dollars a year into the early 1940s, including $654,809 in 1938 (about $9.5 million today). Further compounding the company’s problems were a series of union disputes and strikes over pay and layoffs. The rationing of gasoline during World War II ended up giving the company a little boost as more people relied on the steamers for their vacation getaways. But while the war gave, it also took away. After the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, the United States was short on aircraft carriers and needed vessels that were huge—and it needed them fast. This spurred the U.S. Navy to requisition the Greater Buffalo in 1942 and turn it into the training aircraft carrier USS Sable. Losing the ship unbalanced the fleet, adding logistical problems with routes. The loss of the Greater Buffalo put the D-III back on Buffalo duty.

Despite having the largest freshwater fleet of combination passenger and freight boats in the world, the fact remained that the company was hurting. Improvements to roads and the rise of the trucking industry stole its business. The slow, leisurely pace of boat travel had also lost favor with an ever faster-moving world.

On Jan. 5, 1948, the McMillan family sold D&C to banker George J. Kolowich of Hamtramck, Mich., who, with a group of minority stockholders, had been seeking control of the board of directors for five years. Kolowich, now president and general manager of D&C, had earlier been convicted of embezzlement and served fifteen months in prison in Jackson, Mich. The sale to Kolowich sealed the steamers’ fates, as his plan was to take D&C into the freight business. But the paddlers were expensive to operate — mostly because of high labor, fuel and maintenance costs—and business continued to sink as the unending stream of automobiles continued to roll out of Detroit’s factories and onto the highways and interstates. In a last bid to stay alive, D&C announced in late November 1949 that it would enter the automobile transport business and would use part of the $2.6 million it got from the federal government for the Greater Buffalo to retire the company’s stock.

But the company’s bungling bottom line wasn’t its only problem. On June 25, 1950, the City of Cleveland III was heading toward Detroit when it was rammed by the Norwegian freighter Ravnefjell off Harbor Beach in Lake Huron. The collision crushed sixty feet of the steamer’s superstructure and proved to be a fatal blow. Its days on the lakes were over. Merwyn Stouck, sixty-four, a former mayor and city commissioner of Benton Harbor, Michigan, died after the force of the crash threw him overboard as he was enjoying a morning walk. Benton Harbor’s police chief, Alvin C. Boyd, and two others were also killed. It was the first fatal accident in D&C’s ninety-eight-year history. The City of Cleveland III was never repaired and sat at a dock in Windsor, Ontario, for several years before finally being towed away in September 1954. It was said to have been converted into a derrick barge for use in the construction of the St. Lawrence Seaway.

The collision left D&C with only four of the six mighty vessels it had touted for decades, and passenger service had dwindled so much that many of their runs were made for freight alone. Staffing was also an issue. Because the cruises seldom required a full crew, on the occasions when the boats were chartered, D&C simply didn’t have enough employees.

Further compounding the company’s problems was the city’s attempts to get rid of the magnificent steamers. In May 1949, the city’s chief smoke inspector, John W. Shaw, cited D&C with violations of the Smoke Abatement Ordinance. “We advised them to use an improved type of fuel,” Shaw told the Free Press. “They are not doing it.” The company had already converted the Greater Detroit from coal to oil burning at great expense. Converting the rest of the fleet would have been incredibly costly, and they were already losing money.

Then, in May 1950, the city condemned the D&C terminal as part of an effort to redevelop the waterfront and make way for what is now Cobo Hall. The city gave the company $1.4 million for the land and said it would rent the property back to D&C for $11,700 a month until it became necessary to demolish the structures. But on Feb. 7, 1951, the company was ordered evicted from the property because it owed $73,050 in unpaid rent. With the loss of the D&C terminal, service on the D&C boats officially ended on May 9, 1951, though they had not run since the previous fall. The city’s first attempt to get the fleet moved from in front of the Veterans’ Memorial Building came on April 24, 1951.

“Each time, [D&C] tells us that they don’t have any place to move them,” corporation counsel G. Edwin Slater told the Free Press the following month. “When we find them a spot, they tell us the insurance won’t approve it.”

So D&C was fined, effectively getting parking tickets, when the boats were not relocated by 8:00 p.m. on May 24, 1951. On May 28, 1951, traffic and ordinance judge John D. Watts found D&C guilty of “illegally parking” the steamers in the Detroit River. These vessels, which had been such a symbol of pride, were now nothing but a nuisance. They were out of fashion—and in the way. “City officials were irked because the vessels … blocked the view of the river from the Veterans Memorial Building,” the Free Press reported at the time. There had been talk of trying to revive the line, either through leasing the vessels to other companies or converting them to freight service, but neither plan materialized.

scrap1.jpg

scrap2.jpg

D&C goes down with its ships
Time and progress had caught up with the magnificent passenger vessels that had enlivened the Detroit riverfront and thrilled millions on the Great Lakes. The D-III and the line’s other vessels sat idle as time and the elements ate away at their grandeur. The steamers became, the wrote in March 1953, “chiefly the homes of the waterfront’s pigeons and sparrows.”

In July 1953, the old D&C buildings at the foot of Wayne Street were torn down to make storage space for the steel needed to build Cobo Hall. The city’s old transportation hub was gone, and an evolving Detroit demanded a new convention center rise in its place.

Despite D&C’s denial that it was attempting to sell its steamers, it was acknowledged that hopes for rehabilitation had been abandoned. The years had taken their toll, and the cost of getting the boats sailing again was increasingly prohibitive in light of the company’s lackluster ledgers, Free Press maritime reporter Curtis Haseltine said.

On June 21, 1956, the D-III, Greater Detroit and the Eastern States were sold for an undisclosed amount to Robert L. Rosen, president of Lake Shore Steel, Inc., and Abraham Siegel, president of the Siegel Iron & Metal Company. “Neither of the new owners had any definite plans for the operation of the three vessels—only a determination that they should not be scrapped,” the Free Press wrote. “After all,” Siegel’s son Norman told the paper, “they’ll be worth as much 20 years from now as far as scrap is concerned as they are worth today. Even though our company is in the scrap business, we have no intention of scrapping them.” Rosen and Siegel were sentimental about the steamers, but they had to face up to the cold, hard economic facts.

“Time has dealt with her kindly as it does to a truly beautiful woman of character,” the Free Press wrote in September 1956. “Her beautiful lines remain, she is structurally sound and the elegance of her interior fittings and decoration is as eye-filling and tasteful as the days she slid down the ways.” But “like many another aristocrat, the City of Detroit III has fallen victim to a new economy and the whimsical vagaries of human nature. The new economy calls for higher costs of operation—notably labor—and skyrocketing prices for scrap metal.”

That month, the D-III was stripped of its finery in preparation for the scrap yard. Its paint had flecked off in large patches. Vandals had smashed its windows. The upholstery had faded on its luxurious lounge chairs. The art treasures that made the D-III a floating museum were sold. Oil paintings by the score were snapped up by collectors, but others, such as those on the ceilings, could not be salvaged without being destroyed and were scrapped with the ship. In late 1956, parts of the D-III were stripped by the Union Wrecking Company of Detroit, and its bits and pieces were sold to scrappers and souvenir collectors looking to preserve their fond memories of D&C’s crown jewel. Everything from the D-III’s steering wheels to its whistle were sold at the foot of Third Street. Settees were carried away in car trunks. Pitchers emblazoned with the D&C monogram were spirited away to basement rec rooms across metro Detroit.

Luther went aboard the D-III before the scrappers got to work. “They had already started to cannibalize all the good stuff out of it,” he said. “The paint had pulled off because it had been sitting there for five years. The carpet was all greasy and dirty.”

Some of its furnishings—the thousands of drinking glasses, water pitchers, electric fans, bedsprings and thousands of other items—were taken to East Tawas, Michigan, for use on the steamer Western States, which Rosen tried to convert into a “flotel,” a floating motel. That effort would fail in 1959.

While the memorabilia found plenty of eager buyers, “apparently, no one was interested in buying” the steamers themselves, Norman Siegel told the Free Press in late November 1956, “at least, not interested enough to put up any money. We would much rather have seen them back in operation, but the economics of the situation were stacked against that. The present high value of scrap metal dictates our decision.”

While pieces of the steamers wound up on mantels and in living rooms across metro Detroit, it was a Cleveland house painter who took the souvenir collecting to a whole other level. Frank Schmidt bought entire interiors of rooms and had them shipped to Cleveland by the truckload—including the entire Gothic Room from the D-III, magnificent stained-glass window and all—and installed it in the loft of a barn in a Cleveland suburb, an odd setting for such elegance, but one that preserved it. From the barn’s loft, one could look across and see the magnificent staircase wall from the Forward Salon.

In early November 1956, the “last vestige of wood” was stripped from the D-III, and its carcass was taken to the Steel Corporation of Canada in Hamilton, Ontario, and scrapped in late March 1957. The bill for stripping it was high because of the extensive demolition of all the woodwork and plaster necessary to get at its steel frame. It was so high, in fact, that alternative means were devised for the demise of the steamers Greater Detroit and Eastern States. In December 1956, tugs dragged the pair out into Lake St. Clair, and they were set ablaze. Burning away all the splendor made it easier—and cheaper—to get to the steel.

“It just broke your heart,” said William Hoey, who took photos of the D&C steamers being scrapped. Now seventy-four years old and living in Trenton, Michigan, he had ridden the D-III as a small child. “They were just spectacular. You knew the effort that went into building them, and they were just going to wreck them or set them on fire.”

In 1960, D&C Navigation was absorbed into the Denver-Chicago Trucking Company. The boats were gone, and now even the name of the once-proud company was no more.

The D-III returns home — in pieces
After his death in 1965, Schmidt’s sister decided to sell his maritime holdings, including the treasures he had rescued from the D-III. Most of his collection was sold to a restaurant-decorating firm in Cleveland, which, in turn, sold pieces to restaurants around the Midwest and beyond. The classically styled pediment that once crowned a painting on the landing of the grand salon’s staircases now serves as the backdrop of a bar at Bistro Romano in Philadelphia.

But the firm sold a good chunk of the collection to the Dossin Great Lakes Museum on Belle Isle. By December 1966, a fundraising effort had raised $40,000 (about $290,000 today) to buy the ornate Gothic Room, whistles, murals and more and bring them back to Detroit. The collection included more than seven tons of woodwork alone. The Great Lakes Maritime Institute spearheaded the effort to have part of the famed room installed in the Dossin. Kolowich, the last operator of the D&C vessels, gave the drive a big boost by donating thousands of invalidated D&C Navigation Company stock certificates, which were sent to those who donated $2 or more. The Daughters of the American Revolution donated $2,700 for the La Salle window, but most of the donations came from individual Detroiters eager to bring pieces of the beloved boats home.

Once refinished, sections of the Gothic Room were installed near the Dossin’s entrance. Museum curator Robert E. Lee and his assistant, Charles Patrick Labadie, directed the restoration, and the skillful hands of Paul Colleta did much of the work. Many of the fine carvings had been damaged over the years and were covered with layer after cracked layer of old varnish. While the entire Gothic Room wasn’t reinstalled, and the layout was changed to conform to the Dossin’s dimensions, the room’s magnificent splendor still awes visitors today, nearly 60 years after the ship was ripped apart.

At the museum, the D-III’s “fond memory still lives, close to the waters she sailed,” the Marine Historical Society of Detroit wrote in Great Lakes Ships We Remember. “The room can be enjoyed by the thousands who once rode aboard her, and the countless others who can only imagine her opulence as she once was.”

In late 1956, parts of the ship City of Detroit were stripped by the Union Wrecking Company of Detroit, and its bits and pieces were sold to scrappers and souvenir collectors. The art treasures that made the ship a floating museum were sold. Oil paintings by the score were snapped up by collectors, but others, such as those on the ceilings, could not be salvaged without being destroyed and were scrapped with the ship. A Cleveland house painter Frank Schmidt bought entire interiors of rooms and had them shipped to Cleveland by the truckload including the entire Gothic Room stained-glass window and all. Frank Schmidt installed it in the loft of a barn in a Cleveland suburb. From the barn’s loft, one could look across and see the magnificent staircase wall from the Forward Salon. After Frank passed away his sister sold his entire collection and most of it was sold to a restaurant-decorating firm in Cleveland, which, in turn, sold pieces to restaurants around the Midwest and beyond. The classically styled pediment that once crowned a painting on the landing of the grand salon’s staircases now serves as the backdrop of a bar at Bistro Romano in Philadelphia.

These great steamers City of Detroit, Eastern States and the Greater Detroit were sold to the Steel Corporation of Canada in Hamilton, Ontario, and scrapped in 1957. The bill for stripping it was very expensive because of the extensive demolition of all the woodwork and plaster necessary to get at its steel frame. In 1956, tugs dragged the two ships out into Lake St. Clair, and they were set on fire. Burning away all the wood work made it cheaper and easier to get to the steel. The fate of the City of Detroit was not to set it on fire. In late 1956, parts of the ship City of Detroit were stripped by the Union Wrecking Company of Detroit, and its bits and pieces were sold to scrappers and souvenir collectors. The art treasures that made the ship a floating museum were sold. Oil paintings were snapped up by collectors, but others, such as those on the ceilings, could not be salvaged without being destroyed and were scrapped with the ship. A Cleveland house painter Frank Schmidt bought entire interiors of rooms and had them shipped to Cleveland by the truckload including the entire Gothic Room stained-glass window and all, Frank Schmidt installed it in the loft of a barn in a Cleveland suburb. From the barn’s loft, one could look across and see the magnificent staircase wall from the Forward Salon. After Frank passed away his sister sold his entire collection and most of it was sold to a restaurant-decorating firm in Cleveland, which, in turn, sold pieces to restaurants around the Midwest. The classically styled pediment that once crowned a painting on the landing of the grand salon’s staircases is now the backdrop of a bar at Bistro Romano in Philadelphia. The Cleveland company sold parts of the collection to the Dossin Great Lakes Museum on Belle Isle. In 1966, a fundraising effort had raised $40,000 to buy the ornate Gothic Room, murals and more and bring them back to Detroit. The collection included more than seven tons of woodwork alone.
 
Last edited:

Dave Stevens (Lumberyard)

Staff member
Moderator
Sponsor
Joined
Dec 1, 2016
Messages
3,052
Points
578

moral of the story don't mess with upper class Canadian ladies they WILL make you clean up your act and make you show a little class and respect

the end
 

Dave Stevens (Lumberyard)

Staff member
Moderator
Sponsor
Joined
Dec 1, 2016
Messages
3,052
Points
578

What a HISTORY LESSON Dave, just superb. Don


This brings up an interesting point in the hobby and art of model ship building.

what is the history and the historical content of a model? what part did the ship play in maritime history?

over years I have talked to maritime museum directors, worked as a volunteer in a maritime library talked to researchers and realized model ship builders were never taken serious even though there are very skilled builders out there. The reason is the "hobby" is made up of kit builders who build the same kits over and over and over again hoping some company comes up with a new kit which turns out to be just another version of a subject already done.
many cultures around the world have a rich and colorful maritime history utterly ignored by the hobby, the hobby adds very little to the worlds maritime history.
The story above shines a light on a time and place in maritime history and the people and the ships. a simple ferry boat model has far more impact than another victory built from a kit no matter how well the model is built it is still a hobby/toy kit and one of hundreds.

I understand research takes time and money and many builders just want to have fun and build something and many do not know how to start a build from scratch. It is up to forums such as Ships of Scale, clubs and organizations to bring to light the history and also the know how to build models and not just assemble another kit.

https://www.cnrs-scrn.org/

https://seahistory.org/magazine/

https://seahistory.org/

https://journals.sagepub.com/home/ijh

 
Last edited:
Top