Past days of summer sailing thrills

With the onset of Summer it brings back a serious venture that I was involved with for a number of years. . . racing one design small sailboats (Blue Jay, Lightning, Thistles, and my 5-0-5 two man trapeze high speed dragster. I have mentioned the sensations of sailing, the tactile feed back from the tiller and sheets, sound of the water, and feel of the wind on the face when practicing or actually racing in both crew and skipper positions.
Here is a YouTube of sailing in a 5-0-5 but from a POV of the crew which I seldom took and primarily was sailing the boat. It give some sense of what I have referred to in past postings.
Oh for those years of the past that physically I could no longer engage. Not a model build but my link to sailing through models and particularly the Bluenose or other schooners.
Rich (PT-2)

With the onset of Summer it brings back a serious venture that I was involved with for a number of years. . . racing one design small sailboats (Blue Jay, Lightning, Thistles, and my 5-0-5 two man trapeze high speed dragster. I have mentioned the sensations of sailing, the tactile feed back from the tiller and sheets, sound of the water, and feel of the wind on the face when practicing or actually racing in both crew and skipper positions.
Here is a YouTube of sailing in a 5-0-5 but from a POV of the crew which I seldom took and primarily was sailing the boat. It give some sense of what I have referred to in past postings.
Oh for those years of the past that physically I could no longer engage. Not a model build but my link to sailing through models and particularly the Bluenose or other schooners.
Rich (PT-2)
This video is more of instruction by the experienced crew from the trapeze to a new skipper who normally would be giving the commands and in close communication with the crew. It was essential for good racing to have the same crew with whom I was very well aware and we would both be looking at the same wind and water conditions ahead which also provided a joint assessment of the tactics of racing and where we needed to be for the best wind and tacking rights jockeying. Two simultaneous chess games of the sailing and racing positions for best advantage. Rich (PT-2)

Back