Pilot Boat Swift - AL - 1:50 scale

Great model, Dave! The more I see those small vessels (compared to three-deckers), the more I fascinated with their look when model! Your attention to detail is great (as always)! Thumbs-Up

I've said it before. Building wood models from kits is scratch building. Like buying a lotto ticket, often the plans and instructions only slightly increase your chance of success. As for throwing your hours of work onto the concrete floor ( or in my case, against a cinder block wall). Remember: "Don't take a permanent solution for a temporary problem" (Like suicide, or in this case, modelcide.)Cautious Unlike a surgeon, we can always just get up and walk away from a vexing problem, back up, think it through, do a do-over if necessary, tear it apart and start over. ( a process I'm currently experiencing with my latest project, probably setting me back at least forty hours worth of work. But, hey, I'd never be able to look at the model with any satisfaction otherwise.
May I recommend adding a few basic books to your stash before buying any more kits (a compulsion endemic to our hobby. I know whereof I speak ).
May I recommend, Lennarth Peterssen's books: Rigging Period Ship Models; or, most specific to your current dilemma, "Rigging Period Fore- and-Aft Craft" Naval Institute Press Annapolis, MD
Being Danish, Peterssen's books are devoid of of text, and rely instead on beautifully realized illustrations of what rope goes where, what it does and, where it starts and ends, much like another Danish product: Leggo kits. Although the books are based on a specific ship and three different and fore and aft craft, the functions of the rigging principles and belaying points are pretty much universal. After pouring over these beautiful and engagingly clear illustrations for a few hours you will be

at surprised by how many mysteries will evaporate, and how much you will have learned.( And been entertained!)
I am sure that the many experienced modelers who are following this thread, have their own favorite tomes on the subject of rigging to add to the list.;)

Having, and continuing, to experience such frustrations as your own, I feel your pain, Pete Gutterman

Last edited:
I've said it before. Building wood models from kits is scratch building. Like buying a lotto ticket, often the plans and instructions only slightly increase your chance of success. As for throwing your hours of work onto the concrete floor ( or in my case, against a cinder block wall). Remember: "Don't take a permanent solution for a temporary problem" (Like suicide, or in this case, modelcide.)Cautious Unlike a surgeon, we can always just get up and walk away from a vexing problem, back up, think it through, do a do-over if necessary, tear it apart and start over. ( a process I'm currently experiencing with my latest project, probably setting me back at least forty hours worth of work. But, hey, I'd never be able to look at the model with any satisfaction otherwise.
May I recommend adding a few basic books to your stash before buying any more kits (a compulsion endemic to our hobby. I know whereof I speak ).
May I recommend, Lennarth Peterssen's books: Rigging Period Ship Models; or, most specific to your current dilemma, "Rigging Period Fore- and-Aft Craft" Naval Institute Press Annapolis, MD
Being Danish, Peterssen's books are devoid of of text, and rely instead on beautifully realized illustrations of what rope goes where, what it does and, where it starts and ends, much like another Danish product: Leggo kits. Although the books are based on a specific ship and three different and fore and aft craft, the functions of the rigging principles and belaying points are pretty much universal. After pouring over these beautiful and engagingly clear illustrations for a few hours you will be surprised by how many mysteries will evaporate, and how much you will have learned.( And been entertained!)
I am sure that the many experienced modelers who are following this thread, have their own favorite tomes on the subject of rigging to add to the list.;)

Having, and continuing, to experience such frustrations as you own, I feel your pain, Pete Gutterman
Hi @Peter Gutterman, any chance you posted this on the wrong build log?

You're right! I thought I was posting this on the log of the gentleman who was so discouraged with his Artesania Latina kit of the Swift. My apology to Dave and the Lucy B. which is a splendid model. Somehow I jumped the track! :rolleyes: Sorry. Thanks Paul.
Well, It wouldn't be the first time I've screwed up

Pete

You're right! I thought I was posting this on the log of the gentleman who was so discouraged with his Artesania Latina kit of the Swift. My apology to Dave and the Lucy B. which is a splendid model. Somehow I jumped the track! :rolleyes: Sorry. Thanks Paul.

Pete
I do not agree with many comments here.
A lot of things have changed over time, so you cannot compare va VINTAGE products with these new modern kits. Here Age and times of having build kits. When I started in early 1960 with Billing Boats, it was materials -versus private - take it or leave.
There were NO LASER cuts, and wood and Fittings were lousy, but nothing more was on the market. Building instructions were nearly nil, but little by little I learned to do our own riggen blocks and many other things
By he way, the VINTAGE products are now in here in Europe. A private group of Billings Boats builders has a home page on Facebook, where they can ask for missing fittings, drawings, kits, sell and buy. I am a member but not active. Now 80. Yeaers old
I wouldn't say I like those who wants to buy a kit as JIGSAW, where everything fits. To me -and management would not like it -I am against the strong and fast grow of members. many of these new members have never learned the A_B_C but going direct to university. then buying the most expensive tools and then complain that this hobby is very expensive- NO it is not more expensive, than you want it to be. I got my first electric-driven Tool in 1998- a pro-con
Finally too those with Swiftbuild the Artesania Model, later the 2 others come onto the marker- the last a REAL BUYTy but expensive. image one was built in 1970th, and was my first big build in wood. lot of mistakes, but I love it. the rest my basic tools.
I know there will be a lot of complains
If admitted later I will send a lot of Images of the different SWIFT

IMG_20210625_223457.jpg

9-LATHE.jpg

03-BAC TOOLS-040.jpg

03-BAC TOOLS-044.jpg

Pete
I have done the same myself, Peter :rolleyes:. It just jumped out at me here because Dave's (DocBlake's) work is exemplary on every level (he was just featured in the June 2023 issue of the MSB Journal). When I first read this I thought: why would Peter suggest to Michaelangelo where he can go to learn how to mix his paints? But then it occurred to me this post was simply in the wrong place.

If you click on the links below Dave's 'signature' above you can see his other works. Prepared to be amazed!

Oh, and I have found your work to be exemplary on every level as well!

Doc,, thanks for the heads up, the kind words and the link to Dave's work. I just checked out "Hannah". What a treat! As for my misplaced comments. They are not meant to be critical, but encouraging and hopefully useful in general. Peterssen's books are a go to for me and I have found them to be invaluable in literally untangling the mysteries of rigging. I like Dave's focus on smaller ships, dioramas and cutaways, very creative! and I Am amazed!
I like the smaller craft myself. And as you have probably gathered by now I have a sweet spot for Baltimore Clippers. I tried to find Dave's, but the net wouldn't cooperate.
I wish I still had some of my first crude and fanciful attempts at wood sailing ship models from when I was a 'tween or early teen more than sixty years ago, made with, as El Capi points out, the hand tools at hand, some scrap and balsa wood, sticks and strings, some old pictures or illustrations in random books, Testor's wood glue and a little Imagination.
I hope the gentleman doesn't give up on his "Swift" model and gives it pride of place as his first love and inspiration!

With fond appreciation for everyone on this forum, Pete Thumbs-Up :cool:

Last edited:
Now here are the Manoly pics. A more more expensive model but more detailed.
ie is like an old mobile phone agast the smartphone today

View attachment 383923

View attachment 383924

View attachment 383925

View attachment 383926

View attachment 383927

View attachment 383928

View attachment 383929
These are completely different ships and also types of vessels
the first from Artesania Latina is a pilot boat without any guns (1805)
the second is from Mamoli and is a brigantine with 16 guns (if this was real) (1776)
The only thing which these models have together is the name "SWIFT" - in principle questionable if one or both really existed in the past

This is the listing of known real Swifts

a real Virginia pilot boat but built in 1794 was looking like this

swift 1794.jpg

'Swift' (1794)​

Scale: 1:48. A plan showing the body plan with stern board outline, sheer lines with inboard profile, and longitudinal half-breadth for 'Swift' (1794), a forty-nine foot schooner, ex-Virginia pilot boat.

Signed by Henry Peake [Master Shipwright, Portsmouth Dockyard, 1799-1803; later Master Shipwright, Deptford dockyard, 1803-1806; later Surveyor of the Navy, 1806-1822].

These are completely different ships and also types of vessels
the first from Artesania Latina is a pilot boat without any guns (1805)
the second is from Mamoli and is a brigantine with 16 guns (if this was real) (1776)
The only thing which these models have together is the name "SWIFT" - in principle questionable if one or both really existed in the past

This is the listing of known real Swifts

a real Virginia pilot boat but built in 1794 was looking like this

View attachment 383930

'Swift' (1794)​

Scale: 1:48. A plan showing the body plan with stern board outline, sheer lines with inboard profile, and longitudinal half-breadth for 'Swift' (1794), a forty-nine foot schooner, ex-Virginia pilot boat.

Signed by Henry Peake [Master Shipwright, Portsmouth Dockyard, 1799-1803; later Master Shipwright, Deptford dockyard, 1803-1806; later Surveyor of the Navy, 1806-1822].

sorry for that. anyway on the old Swift, you could/ can make it looks better. this old will know. sorry

Glad you saved your 40 year old model! Please. No apologies necessary! A wonderful early effort to look back on.
Those Mamoli/Dusek kits are challenging and the change over from stamped wood parts to laser cut was what was necessary to save the Mamoli line. But I wish they had gone the whole way and updated the instructions, plans, even the whole design and method of construction, which are still hopelessly outdated and virtually impossible to follow without extensive diversions, re-engineering, research and imagination. The cast white metal parts apparently have been cast from the old original molds and are pretty awful! The recommended method of planking defies physical reality and leaves me wondering if any any of the original designers ever actually built one of these models according to the original plans and instructions as supplied in the kits.
So, El Capi, you have my unqualified admiration and appreciation of the talent and high degree of skill demonstrated in your wonderful (if not miraculous!) execution of the Mamoli/Dusek "Swift" kit! She's a marvel to behold! Congratulations!OkayThumbs-Up:D

Pete

sorry for that. anyway on the old Swift, you could/ can make it looks better. this old will know. sorry
Hi all following the swit- and the frustrated builder. I have just been on the net under Artesania Latina-Swift, and got some results- not from Artesania Latina- but emails company with info and prices. I will add some of the old pictures. As far I remember the most difficult part was the Stern filler. the rest is fairly easy. it the frustrated gentleman could send some images, it would be easier to help him to build and be less frustrated. I do not know if the word frustrated is the same in US.uk, uk,uk or Scandinavia.
I cannot remember now, it the kit came with fittings or if it has to be bought apart
Generally, I do not see anything to be frustrated over at least for an experienced builder. Even the sails look better tan most ready for use sail.

maqueta-barco-madera-new-swift (1).jpg

maqueta-barco-madera-new-swift (2).jpg

maqueta-barco-madera-new-swift (3).jpg

maqueta-barco-madera-new-swift (4).jpg

maqueta-barco-madera-new-swift.jpg

I Love all three models. The 40 year old version is charming and nostalgic. The Mamoli version of the 1776 Brigantine is a wonder to behold. And the latest little schooner is Charming and a beautifully made model as well. I admire your ability to get such wonderful results from a Mamoli kit, as they are particularly challenging. Clearly you are highly skilled and up to any challenge you encounter! Thumbsup

Pete
ai seem to be getting Doc Blake and El Capi mixed up on this post. Repeatedly! Sorry for the confusion. Mine!
I think. I have it all sorted now and beg you indulgence. :rolleyes:

Pete

Last edited:
Back