Pinnace Papegojan 1627 - 1/48 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi All,

My name is Matthew and I'm from Poland.
I'd like to show you my recent model, which I'm building already quite few years... almost 11 ROTF
It's taking so much time not because of complexity of the build... but just simply not having enough time mixed with long months being on board the ship. I'm working as a Hotel Officer on board passenger ships. Well... not now... due to covid... so I have some unexpected long time off... so at least I can spend some more time behind the desk with my model.

Few facts about the ship and model.
Papegojan was build by Dutch shipyard in 1623 and year after she was delivered to Swedish Royal Navy with galleons Kristina, Tigern, Solen, Enhörningen, Mänen, Regnbĺgen, Pelikanen and second pinnace Regnier. During her service she was involved in few sea battles on Baltic Sea agains Crown of the Kingdom of Poland. Sank in 1644.

My build is based on cardboard model released by Shipyard http://model-shipyard.com/gb/sailing-ships/36-mk005-papegojan-no-34.html
However, it's just a cardboard model in 1/96 so obviously had a lot of simplified details. Model has already great design straight from Shipyard... but I had to pimp it up a little bit :cool::p My supporting materials are: Ab Hoving and his publications... mainly The ships of Abel Tasman and Cor Emke plans of pinnace Heemskerck.
There is no sight of any original plans of Papegojan... as Dutch shipyards most likely (and commonly) didn't draw any for specific ship. They used to build ships according to contracts and by general plans of this type of the vessel. Little bit free-style. So I believe my path is not completely wrong ;)

Wood mainly used for the build is Pear. Only deck were made of Birch wood. Carvings were made of Pau Marfim.

At that point just few hull and deck fitting are missing.
I'm focusing now on the rigging.... so soon I believe I will be able to post some photos with recent progress.

Enjoy the photos below.

Cheers,
Matt

5DM34084.JPG

5DM34074.JPG
5DM34067.JPG
5DM34075.JPG

5DM34163.JPG

5DM38060.JPG
5DM37996.JPG
5DM38007.JPG
5DM38020.JPG
5DM38013.JPG
5DM38003.jpg

5DM38106.jpg
5DM38122.JPG
5DM38124.JPG
5DM38127.JPG
5DM38129.JPG

5DM38154.jpg
5DM38162.jpg
5DM38179.jpg
5DM38194.jpg

5DM30117.JPG

5DM30116.JPG

Last edited:
Hallo Matthew, Mati,

sending you a warm welcome here on board of our friendly forum.

Many Thanks for starting here your building log of this interesting model of an (for me) unknown but also interesting vessel.
cwadrqg7sjocx2fws.jpg

I remembered, that our member @Bonden built already the Shipyard model of the Papegoyan "parrot" and made a very good diorama

I am also very sure, that our member @Ab Hoving will be very interested in your work and can give some hints especially related to the rigging which is now in front of you....

BTW: Very good work you are showing us here, with a very good eye for the details and accurate execution - Very good built!
I will follow your log with big interest....... and I hope, that you will post often some updates

Last edited:
Thanks for your compliments.

Uwek, I'm already using Ab Hoving publications The ships of Abel Tasman. It helped me with calculations of ropes diameters for standing and running rigging.
Great stuff. So much informations.

Cheers,
Matt

Hello, Mati! I came across your build log and really fascinating by the quality of your work. One question I have, on your device or jig (below image)

1614271698507.png
You show the tool next to deadeyes, so I expect the tool to cut deadeyes or? Can you elaborate on how do you use it?

Thank you very much Gents for your compliments!

@Jimsky
This small jig and deadeyes were designed by me and CNC milled by my friend. It's a bit different approach to make deadeyes. Basically as shown on one photo below deadeye is something like a sandwich. I'm putting deadeyes on that jig and it works as "lathe" so I can shape them to desired look.

@Ab Hoving
Thank you once again. Really appreciate your "words".

I'm pretty sure designed model by Shipyard might have some flaws.
I think it might be stitched ideas from few drawings from Het Scheepvaartmuseum Amsterdam. Some of them might be seen on your publication Seventeenth-century Dutch ship design drawings. Real or counterfeit?

Zrzut ekranu 2021-02-25 o 20.48.48.png
Zrzut ekranu 2021-02-25 o 20.52.55.png

As I've mentioned on other forum if I knew earlier about your book The ships of Abel Tasman I would build Heemskerck instead ROTF
At that stage I'm just carrying on with this build but all rigging will be based on your notes from the book and Cor Emke plans of the Heemskerck.
...and I'm just trying to be as close as possible and have accurate details to match real Dutch style of ship building.

Cheers,
Matt

To tell you the truth, Matthew, I was so flabbergasted by the tremendous quality of your work that I forgave you the wrong design of the ship.
But, like you have your talents, I have my passion to ventilate my thoughts about Dutch shipbuilding, so in future the two of us will find a fantastic Dutch vessel to make and to produce the most beautiful Dutch model ever. :)
By the way, how come that there are always the Polish guys who make the scene with their unbelievable discipline and talent?

I think the most visible flaw of the Shipyard Papegojan is that the bow and stern do not historically go together. The bow is that of a vessel from around 1650, the stern may fit to a ship of around 1625. But this piece of art by Mati makes me forget that completely.

Thank you @Cirdan

@Ab Hoving
Thank you very much. You are too generous with your compliments to me.
It would be a great honor to build any model of Dutch ship under your patronage o_O

About us... Polish guys... no idea ROTF I know few great ones... I saw @Dali is posting some photos as well. Really skilled guy!
For me model building is a real passion... but I'm pretty sure you all can find much better modelers then me on this forum.
I'm just trying my best and get as close as possible to match real art of ship building... but in scale ROTF

Some time ago I've completed build of small Dutch yacht.

2309920546.jpg

For many years when I was kid I used to build cardboard models.
Few month ago I've decided to refresh my finger memories with cardboard and the result was mine steam locomotive Cn2t Las49 from 1948. Scale 1/25.
It's a model, which was released by one of the cardboard model publisher in Poland.

11.jpg12.jpg10.jpg8.jpg9.jpg1.jpg2.jpg5.jpg

Heerenjacht indeed ;)

Ok... so let's wait for the surprise :)

Few days ago I've managed to build showcase for the model.
It's time to start rigging so my priority was first to build dust shelter for the model.

Materials, which I've used:
2mm polycarbonate sheet with UV filter (I've decided to go with polycarb due to durability and weight... obviously glass 2-3mm is very fragile and even so thin it's really heavy)
Oak wood profiles for the frame
Oak veneer for the base
Showcase has also 12V LED lighting with dimmer, which is installed around entire "roof" frame.

Finish: just little bit of dark oak stain polished with 000 steel wool and very light coat of satin acrylic varnish.

Dimensions of the showcase: 840 x 730 x 380 mm
Showcase has also 50 cm wooden legs not shown on the photos.

5DM34183.JPG

5DM34187.JPG

Model has received final finish as well.
Mixture of bees wax, paraffin, turpentine, extraction gasoline and for additional vintage look some tar (or asphalt, bitumen).
I'm applying this finish warm so it can penetrate wood much better.

5DM34193.JPG

Visible model stand is obviously still temporary solution ROTF

Cheers,
Matt

Back