• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

Pinta 1492 by Mike 41 – 1:32 scale Caravel

Main Mast Ratlines:
The best part of making the ratlines is it gives you lots of practice tying clove hitch knots that is also the worst part. The following photos show the installation of the ratlines.

IMG_3050.jpgIMG_3051.jpgIMG_3052.jpgIMG_3053.jpg​
 
Ship Pumps:
The ship's pumps looked a lot like bicycle pumps but I guess they worked. This set of photos show the pump as installed.

IMG_3054.jpgIMG_3055.jpgIMG_3056.jpg

​
 
Anchors:
The following set of photos show the anchor as-built and installed.

IMG_3057.jpgIMG_3058.jpgIMG_3059.jpgIMG_3060.jpgIMG_3061.jpgIMG_3062.jpgIMG_3063.jpg​
 
Display Stand:
The display stand is simple cradle design made from mahogany. This is a few photos of the stand and the model at this point.

IMG_3069.jpgIMG_3070.jpgIMG_3071.jpgIMG_3072.jpgIMG_3073.jpgIMG_3074.jpgIMG_3075.jpgIMG_3076.jpgIMG_3077.jpg​
 
Nameplate:
I thought about casting a nice bronze plate but noticed I didn’t a forge or molding equipment in the shop so went with a wooden one. Picked a nice font in Word and printed a pattern for the letters. This is a few photos of the nameplate, stand and model.

IMG_3078.jpgIMG_3079.jpgIMG_3080.jpgIMG_3081.jpgIMG_3082.jpgIMG_3083.jpgIMG_3084.jpg​
 
The Yards:
This is a few photos of the main mast yard.

IMG_3085.jpgIMG_3086.jpg​
 
Main Mast Yard Rigging:
This set of photos shows how the yard is rigged. They used a lot of cleats and toggles to secure lines to the hull.


IMG_3088.jpgIMG_3089.jpgIMG_3090.jpgIMG_3091.jpgIMG_3092.jpgIMG_3093.jpgIMG_3094.jpgIMG_3095.jpgIMG_3096.jpgIMG_3097.jpgIMG_3098.jpg​
 
Forward Mast Rigging:
This set of photos shows how the forward yard is rigged, very similar to the main mast.

IMG_3101.jpgIMG_3102.jpgIMG_3103.jpgIMG_3104.jpgIMG_3105.jpgIMG_3106.jpgIMG_3107.jpgIMG_3108.jpgIMG_3109.jpg​
 
This is a few photos showing the overall rigging on both masts.

IMG_3110.jpgIMG_3111.jpgIMG_3112.jpgIMG_3113.jpgIMG_3115.jpgIMG_3117.jpg​
 
This set of photos shows how the mizzen mast is rigged along with stern details.

IMG_3118.jpgIMG_3119.jpgIMG_3120.jpgIMG_3121.jpgIMG_3122.jpgIMG_3123.jpg​
 
This is a few photos of the finished model. I hope you enjoy reading this build log as much as I did creating it. Happy modeling.
Mike

IMG_3131.jpgIMG_3132.jpgIMG_3138.jpgIMG_3137.jpgIMG_3139.jpgIMG_3142.jpgIMG_3143.jpg​
 
Thanks Zoltan,
I am thinking about posting a cross section next.
Mike
 
Hi Mike,
Thanks, I really like this little ship.
Mike
 
Thanks Graham I am glad you liked it.
Mike
 
Back
Top