Planetary ropewalk - Domanoff workshop.

Bryian

Staff member
Forum Moderator

Yippee, been waiting for this baby to arrive in my mailbox, and I am so excited !

Its the Alexey Domanoff ropewalk machine which I believe is probably the best value for money machine on the market, considering it can lay from 2 - 4 strands of thread in left or right hand ropes.

Attachments

• Planet3-all.486c4d06d3040070736d2006e29b204744.jpg
    Planet3-all.486c4d06d3040070736d2006e29b204744.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 546
I just need to spend a few hours assembling the darn thing first.

Attachments

• IMG_2339.JPG
    IMG_2339.JPG
    168.9 KB · Views: 532
Hope Donnie doesn't mind me sharing the link for Alexeys tools.

I have purchased a few things from him before and can highly recommend the quality of his tools and his great mail order service.

http://shipworkshop.com/products/tools/ropewalk-planetary-3.0

Just finished assembling this and it was quite easy. It came with an instructional disc which I could watch as I assembled the machine and there are also videos on u tube.

Now I need to go and buy some thread and do a few practice runs.

Attachments

• IMG_2340.JPG
    IMG_2340.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 512
Brian

That looks nice. You will have to show how it works.

Cheers Geoff

Hi Don,
yes this machine is a wonderful ropewalk and probably the best on on the market. I bought some extra plastic spools for the threads, but I could not find any old fashioned wooden spools, so I made some up myself yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_2341.JPG
    IMG_2341.JPG
    166.2 KB · Views: 415
Brian - thank you for sharing that link. That is SUPER Cool. I have seen this, but never knew anyone that had one. I am sure that you are going to have a blast with it. Congratulations on it ! WOW.

Brian

You are most welcome to use my metal Lathe to make more if you want.

Cheers
Geoff

Oh, this is wonderful.
I thought I was crazy making my own wooden spools, as they were a throw away item many years ago. Now they are hard to find.

Brian,
I would be HAPPY to make you some spools. My wife works at a craft store and I can get large dowels and make the spools out of ONE piece stock. It would be like a billet made all one piece and I can make you many of them.

As a matter of fact, I will draw a spool and you FILL IN the Dimensions for me and send it back. The Dimensions will be lablled something like "A", "B", etc. you write back and say as an example A = 2mm, B= 10mm,,,,,

Donnie
Don't worry, I will get them mailed to you somehow, I WILL pay for it all. I just need for you to email me at donnie(at)shipsofscale(dot)com your postal mailing address.

Brian,
I hope that you do not mind me posting my work here. This first spool was a test of the durability of the wood / pressures of the lathe, etc. If I remember, the wood is Oak.
I think I have about 2 1/2 hours in one of these. That is just due to it being the first run and figuring out how to do it. I might be able to reduce the time down to maybe 1 hour each. The ends of the Spool are at 4mm instead of the 2mm requested. NO glue - all one piece machined wood.
I can also drill a small pilot hole on the shaft so that the line can go through to help hold. The hole will be at one end.

spools01.jpgspools02.jpgspools03.jpgspools04.jpgspools05.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Brian,
do you need a threading hole? See the image (black dot). This can be a hole to keep and start your line from coming out. If so, do you have a preference? I think that .8 mm should be fine.

Yep, the spool was made out of a solid rod of 35mm diameter dowel and 1.2192 m long. Of course, I sawed off a piece about 50mm long to allow to insert end into lathe, therefore enough stock is left for working and parting of the piece.

spools05-thread.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back