Plank Before?? Deck First??

I am just getting back into building after a 30 year hiatus and am currently taking on the arduous task of building the ZHL Le Soleil Royal.
I just received the kit and am going over everything including other build logs. I won’t be building for awhile but did have a couple questions. These questions may depend on other ships also but not sure:

Many say to plank the hull BEFORE decking and others do decking first. Is their actually a correct way?

Also, some say to plank your deck BEFORE installing and others plank AFTER. Again...which is better?
Thanks for any advice.

Usually installing the false decks to the frame is a good idea because it stiffens the frame-work and helps keep it straight. This is necessary for a good hull planking job. Of course this only applies to plank on bulkhead models. Plank on frame model require a different approach. As for whether to plank your decks before planking the hull, that is usually a "builder's choice" type of thing. Also, if you have multiple decks - such as gun decks - it would make sense to plank all the lower decks first as it will be almost impossible to do once the upper decks are installed. Just remember this is just my opinion, and I'm sure there are probably many others. But like I said earlier...a lot of this is "builder's choice". What ever works for you and makes your task easier, is the way you should go. There are very few hard and fast rules in model ship building.

Usually installing the false decks to the frame is a good idea because it stiffens the frame-work and helps keep it straight. This is necessary for a good hull planking job. Of course this only applies to plank on bulkhead models. Plank on frame model require a different approach. As for whether to plank your decks before planking the hull, that is usually a "builder's choice" type of thing. Also, if you have multiple decks - such as gun decks - it would make sense to plank all the lower decks first as it will be almost impossible to do once the upper decks are installed. Just remember this is just my opinion, and I'm sure there are probably many others. But like I said earlier...a lot of this is "builder's choice". What ever works for you and makes your task easier, is the way you should go. There are very few hard and fast rules in model ship building.
Jim J you explained the reason well!

I do a combination. Secure the frames with a false deck and start planking then I work on some of the decking only because you can clamp some of the decking that is difficult to secure by clamping using the side planking as a secure point to clamp from. this is just how I do the scratch built models that I do. but each model my require a different approach depending on their configuration, multiple decks require a special approach, as Dolphin stated. Happy Modeling!

I would suggest that there is one rule that should be followed...the rule of relationships. This rule means that many features depend upon where other features are located. For example, the frames of main deck gun ports are in relationship to where the main deck is located and where the waterways are set. Hull planking is in relationship to the decks. Same with lower gun ports. If you do not consider the relationships between parts and features you may end up with something wrong...such as the locations of gun ports. In my experience I have found placing and planking decks first to be more helpful in determining the proper relationships of subsequent features.

Last edited:
I would suggest that there is one rule that should be followed...the rule of relationships. This rule means that may features depend upon where other features are located. For example, the frames of main deck gun ports are in relationship to where the main deck is located and where the waterways are set. Hull planking is in relationship to the decks. Same with lower gun ports. If you do not consider the relationships between parts and features you may end up with something wrong...such as the locations of gun ports. In my experience I have found placing and planking decks first to be more helpful in determining the proper relationships of subsequent features.
Totally agree with Jim on this having learned the hard way!

Back