Plank fixing

In case it is of use to anyone: here is the method I used to fix the first layer of planks to bulheads.
I cut a series of 5mm wide strips from the offcuts of 0.9mm plywood left when the cut components were removed.
I screwed one end of each strip through an already fitted plank into each bulkhead behind it.
After glueing on one or more new planks I bent the strips round them and clipped them to the still exposed bulheads below.
After five or so planks I refitted the strips to the last one in placed.
I have now completed the planking of Mary Rose so I cannot show a picture of this technique being applied.
However, I attach a rough sketch and a mock-up of the process. The small bits of slotted plywood were used
for holding the free end of the strips in place when I got too near the keel to get a clip in place.
I used the technique right down to the penultimate plank.
I also attach an early picture I took of the model. It doesn't explicitly illustrate the method but it does still
have a few strips in place. Note that they may be swung up out of the way while new planks are being placed.
planking.jpg

Planked.jpg

3/8" No 2 old fashioned slot head screws. Bought a 1 gross box about 40 years ago.
Don't know why. Prescience? Glad to have found a use for them at last.

Back