Planking 2nd layer

Hi all
I'm building the vanguard by victory models and the 2nd layer is 1mm it says to use superglue where's on my last 2 ships it was .6 mm and I used wood glue with an iron
Does anyone use superglue on 2nd layer with 1mm planking and does it stay on forever like wood glue .
I tried the wood glue but can't make it stay
Cheers snowy

Hi all
I'm building the vanguard by victory models and the 2nd layer is 1mm it says to use superglue where's on my last 2 ships it was .6 mm and I used wood glue with an iron
Does anyone use superglue on 2nd layer with 1mm planking and does it stay on forever like wood glue .
I tried the wood glue but can't make it stay
Cheers snowy
I am personally using only wooden glue - but I know of some modeler using superglue on 2 or 3 locations in addition to wood glue, so to fix the plank until the wood glue is dry, so a combination of both
How long does your wood glue need to get hard? maybe you can try a different type, which hardening time is shorter

I am also a big fan of wood glue for planking (both 1st and 2nd) layers. There are numbers of wood glues on the market and they have different cure times. Look for PVA glues, sometimes referred as 'white' glue. It dries fast, holds strong over time and doesn't clog wood.
Some CA glues clog the surface and penetrate deep in to wood making it impossible to stain\oil.

Hi all,
What are the members thoughts on using contact glue for the 2nd planking? My instruction leaflet for the HMB Endeavour, from Occre, suggests using this type of glue. I would probably opt to using a white wood glue, such as Ponal Express. That gives me time to adjust the plank where necessary.

Hello Luigi. Not sure what contact glue is...For first and second planking, I always use wood glue. Ponal Express is one of the PVA glues available in Germany (Europe I guess). Here, in the USA, we have much similar wood glue as PonalL Tilebond, Elmers's and others. Personally I like the Lineco brand, mostly used by artists as a base (before painting). It dries quick and clear, holds parts together very strong. As many PVA glue - it is waterbased.

i use pva or wood glue for both sets of planking , i would only use cyano(super glue) if you plan on painting the hull as it saturates the wood and it wont take stain , and will look discoloured with varnish , only down side to white glue is the time it takes to dry

I have only used white glue for the second planking. Is there a risk of superglue staining the wood?
Hello Thomas, From my personal experience, yes, some CA (super) glues will penetrate deep into the timber and will block stain. It will actually make timber whitish\clogging (mate) color.

Contact glue, as in my case Pattex Gel, which I used to glue the deck planking. I haven't tried superglue, but I am wondering if the water-based white wood glue is good for the thin (0,6mm) second planking. :confused:
Hi Luigi--

Some good comments above. I would always use water based white wood glue for the second planking for a number of reasons. Yes, it takes a while to dry but you can wipe off any excess with a wet rag and not have any problems when you varnish the hull later. Plus you can mix it with some sawdust and make a putty that can be used to fill in any gaps. Once you sand it, you can't tell there was a gap. Not only that, it is probably the least expensive glue and has no fumes.

I checked out Pattrex (I hadn't heard that brand name) and it looks like its that sort of rubbery adhesive glue, which I think would be very hard to work with compared to white glue so my recommendation would be to give it a try. Good luck.

i have tried many different kinds of glue, PVA, and CA, as far as CA i try to avoid its use, when i do use it i try to use on hideen parts and I use MERCURARY ADHESIVE (MIDdel one) as far as PVA THANS TO JIM IT IS NOW MY PREFERENCE IT HAS ALL THE QUALITIES THAT JIM SAID. Don

Hello
I’m having trouble with the second planking (.5mm) cupping on the model after I apply the glue and before it’s had time to set. I’ve tried wetting the wood before gluing but same results.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

image.jpgimage.jpg

@Lwood Hello! Most likely you put too much glue. Another problem is the glue itself: what kind of glue it is? Try Tilebond II or Elmer's wood glue as an alternative. Another way or I should say workaround, is to use iron. While the plank is moist and in a position, top with the iron (press). As you see glue is set, move along the plank to the end. Be careful as your Admiral might not be happy if knows you took it. But we will not tell her...;)

Thanks I’m using weldbond glue but I have tightbond as well. I’ll try it to see if it makes a difference.
Thanks

Yes, I am suggesting to switch for a different glue. Wellbond doesn't dry fast, instead, it soaks the planks. May I suggest you a Lineco brand? I have been using it in many builds with much success!

Hi all,
What are the members thoughts on using contact glue for the 2nd planking? My instruction leaflet for the HMB Endeavour, from Occre, suggests using this type of glue. I would probably opt to using a white wood glue, such as Ponal Express. That gives me time to adjust the plank where necessary.
I have used CA gel exclusively for all planking...both first and second layers. I have a half dozen large models now using this CA technique. With the gel CA you can dot the CA in drops along the plank (or at the bulkhead points) then place the plank and hold for count of ten...the plank stays in place. Sharp bands just require a bit more CA along the bend.

Back