Planking material

I am finding it difficult to get good quality basswood. Until now I have used Mid West products but now what is available is of poorer quality. Is anyone else having difficult? Thanks in anticipation. DMQ

Consistently of width, fine grain and availability.

I have 100s of feet of Basswood also known as Linden in the UK

consistently of width is a tolerance issue with wood working machines they have a + or - of .010 or about .280mm it is possible to maintain a close tolerance when you running just a few strips but at a production level it is much harder to do. Also a lot depends on the builder some will return material that is .005 thousandths off and at that close of a tolerance your better off doing your own mill work. Then you have builders who will say .060 is close enough

fine grain is pretty consistent there are exceptions to the rule but for the most part it is difficult to separate different grain types they are so very close most of the time. Basswood is a huge tree so you will get fine straight grain the only time it changes is at a knot or crotch.

availability is no issue here in Ohio USA it is a common tree and found at any saw mill in the area so supply is constant.

if you are having problems finding a source for Basswood or Linden you can look for Jelutong.

i have used this wood in the past and find it very nice to work with.

Common Name(s): Jelutong
Scientific Name: Dyera costulata
Distribution: Malaysia, Borneo, and various regions in southeast Asia
Tree Size: 100-200 ft (30-60 m) tall, 5-6 ft (1.5-1.8 m) trunk diameter
Average Dried Weight: 28 lbs/ft3 (450 kg/m3)
Specific Gravity (Basic, 12% MC): .36, .45
Janka Hardness: 390 lbf (1,740 N)
Modulus of Rupture: 8,030 lbf/in2 (55.4 MPa)
Elastic Modulus: 1,224,000 lbf/in2 (8.44 GPa)
Crushing Strength: 4,250 lbf/in2 (29.3 MPa)
Shrinkage: Radial: 2.3%, Tangential: 5.5%, Volumetric: 6.2%, T/R Ratio: 2.4
Color/Appearance: Heartwood color initially almost white, darkening to a yellowish brown color with age. Sapwood isn’t clearly distinguished from heartwood.
Grain/Texture: Grain is usually straight, or occasionally interlocked. With a uniform medium to fine texture and good natural luster.
Endgrain: Diffuse-porous; large pores in no specific arrangement, very few to few; radial multiples of 2-5 common; growth rings indistinct; narrow to medium rays usually not visible without lens, spacing wide to normal; parenchyma diffuse-in-aggregates.
Rot Resistance: Generally rated as non-durable to perishable regarding decay resistance, and also susceptible to insect attack.
Workability: Jelutong’s low density make it very easy to work with both hand and machine tools. Some gum buildup may occur on cutting tools, but overall results are good. Glues, stains, turns, and finishes well.
Odor: Jelutong can have a distinct sour odor while being worked.
Allergies/Toxicity: Although severe reactions are quite uncommon, Jelutong has been reported to cause skin irritation. See the articles Wood Allergies and Toxicity and Wood Dust Safety for more information.
Pricing/Availability: Not commonly available in North America. The tree has been overharvested in some areas, though it is not actually threatened with extinction. Occasionally available as carving blanks or as lumber. Prices are moderate for an imported species.
Sustainability: This wood species is not listed in the CITES Appendices, and is reported by the IUCN as being a species of least concern.
Common Uses: Patternmaking, carving, and other small specialty wood items.
Comments: Jelutong is a lesser-known Asian species that’s appreciated for its uniform appearance, softness, dimensional stability, and ease of carving. The wood is used in much the same way as Basswood (Tilia americana).
In addition to being utilized for lumber, the tree yields a natural latex when tapped. This latex was used for chewing gum, though nearly all gum is now made from synthetic rubber rather than natural.

Hi Dave!

Who needs wood in the 1000th range. My father was a mechanical engineer and he had a test room for metals after turning and milling. Constant temperature and humidity! That is not possible with wood! I read that once in the summer the well-known model maker Bernard Frolich had the problem that his ship under construction was 1,5 mm shorter.
I wish you all the best and satisfied customers!!!

With best regards
Thomas

Hi Dave!

Who needs wood in the 1000th range. My father was a mechanical engineer and he had a test room for metals after turning and milling. Constant temperature and humidity! That is not possible with wood! I read that once in the summer the well-known model maker Bernard Frolich had the problem that his ship under construction was 1,5 mm shorter.
I wish you all the best and satisfied customers!!!

With best regards
Thomas

i totally agree with you wood is a natural material it expands and shrinks and moves depending on temperature and humidity if your project is so demanding of tolerances in the thousandths i suggest using plastic it is far more stable.

Back