Planking the stern when the planks are too short!

Hi there

I'm building the Harvey and the supplied planks are 5x1.5mm. Annoyingly they end at the last bulkhead on the model as per this image. All the same length and all too short!

2020-07-17 @ 20-20-58 - 001.jpg

So my questions is "How do you plank the last section without it looking ridiculous?

I'm assuming I will probably need some stealers in there anyway with the way the planks seem to run however I'm struggling to see how to cover the last bit of the stern.

Do I do a who series of joints? Butt joints would look strange I think so do I go for scarph?
If a scarph then where should I do it? Over the bulkhead or between two bulkheads? Do I need to support behind the scarph?
And do I stagger these joints so they don't all sit next to each other?
Or do I do something more creative with the stealers in some way?

Really hoping somebody has done this before or can steer me towards a thread that covers the topic.

Thanks

Stu

what you do is cut the planks so each run of planking as one long plank and one shorter plank

you would plank a run say 2 bulkheads past center and a second plank from there to the stern. Next run of planking goes from the bow to maybe 1 or 2 bulkheads before center and then a longer plank to the stern.

if you did not start the planking then fill in between the bulkheads with blocks so you have a solid surface to plank over

click on the Royal James below

what you do is cut the planks so each run of planking as one long plank and one shorter plank

you would plank a run say 2 bulkheads past center and a second plank from there to the stern. Next run of planking goes from the bow to maybe 1 or 2 bulkheads before center and then a longer plank to the stern.

Thanks Dave - that's really helpful!

Does it work to have the joints over the midships area? Doesn't that make them more visible?
And would you butt joint them?

Interesting idea about the fillers between each bulkhead. Hmmm? That must be one solid hull when you're done!

Back