planking tools

I wanted to take a break from planking my ship so I thought I would share what tools I use to plank! I know there are many tools, many technics, and a number of ways to plank a hull this is what I use! take it for what
t it is worth!! The Picture below is what I use. Left to right top to bottom
1 Sanding Vise: used to taper your planks to desired widths: you can purchase these in many lengths I decide to make my own purchase of some hardwood a couple of screws and you are in business
2 Metric scale: self-explanatory! Just purchase a good one!
3 Miter saw: great tool!
4 Small Plane: I can not tell you how important that tool is in conjunction with the sanding vise!
5 assorted sanding blocks when making them use stiff foam to attach your chosen grit paper to it is light and easy to attach your paper
6 Assorted small files
7I purchased a small power belt sander to bevel my edges of the planks "well worth the Money"!!
8 Dremel and a set of Micro bits
9 A set of non Magnetic tweezers
10 plank attaching screws These I use during my second finish planking I make my own holders out of bamboo strips the sets come with metal clamps I found Bamboo works much better
11 Micro Screws I use these to attach the base planking to the ribs works Great!!
12 Thumb Tacks I use to wedge the planks in tightly next to each other
13 Assorted clamps
13 Wood Filler: I spend some time on this finding a color that is close to matching the wood planks I am using. don't just purchase a filler that says it is teak or walnut, an example I am planking in Black walnut and I am using Teak color filler: on this subject, I also use the dust from my belt sanding and make a mixture of my chosen filler I use water base filler and mix the sanding dust into the mix and apply where needed, again there are many ways to do this is my way!!
14 I use wood glue to attach most everything on my kits wood glue works great on planking I use Elmer's dries clear!! I have found that is it flexible I can move the plank if I need to and also sets fairly quickly! I purchased the applicator listed in the picture below and it works great. I would also have some good CA glue and the accelerator around does come in handy!
As with anything, especially tools!! everyone has their favorites! You can spend lots of $$ in this area, there are tools galore for sale out there!! and I have many of them that just collect DUST!! I have found that if I just thought about what the tool will do and can I make my own examples of Plank Benders I have a few of those collecting Dust! Plank bending Forms!! Plank Beveling tools you name it and it is out there for sale, I have found that most planking you will use can be formed by using steam and hot water and clamped on a form you make or find around the house. also, a hairdryer and elect. the hot water heater is very important to have around!! again this is my way and everyone has their own system. But as far as I am concerned electric heat-type plank benders are a waste of money!!!
Everyone on this site has their own methods, tools, and technics to construct their kits this is mine in the area of Planking. I know I have forgotten some things no doubt! To me, the hardest, most changeling and most rewarding parts of a model ship are the Hull construction Planking and the Rigging of the ship Hope this will help those of you who are just starting out.

810.jpg

IMG_20220417_095826.jpg

IMG_20220417_095919.jpg

IMG_20220417_100258.jpg

I wanted to take a break from planking my ship so I thought I would share what tools I use to plank! I know there are many tools, many technics, and a number of ways to plank a hull this is what I use! take it for what
t it is worth!! The Picture below is what I use. Left to right top to bottom
1 Sanding Vise: used to taper your planks to desired widths: you can purchase these in many lengths I decide to make my own purchase of some hardwood a couple of screws and you are in business
2 Metric scale: self-explanatory! Just purchase a good one!
3 Miter saw: great tool!
4 Small Plane: I can not tell you how important that tool is in conjunction with the sanding vise!
5 assorted sanding blocks when making them use stiff foam to attach your chosen grit paper to it is light and easy to attach your paper
6 Assorted small files
7I purchased a small power belt sander to bevel my edges of the planks "well worth the Money"!!
8 Dremel and a set of Micro bits
9 A set of non Magnetic tweezers
10 plank attaching screws These I use during my second finish planking I make my own holders out of bamboo strips the sets come with metal clamps I found Bamboo works much better
11 Micro Screws I use these to attach the base planking to the ribs works Great!!
12 Thumb Tacks I use to wedge the planks in tightly next to each other
13 Assorted clamps
13 Wood Filler: I spend some time on this finding a color that is close to matching the wood planks I am using. don't just purchase a filler that says it is teak or walnut, an example I am planking in Black walnut and I am using Teak color filler: on this subject, I also use the dust from my belt sanding and make a mixture of my chosen filler I use water base filler and mix the sanding dust into the mix and apply where needed, again there are many ways to do this is my way!!
14 I use wood glue to attach most everything on my kits wood glue works great on planking I use Elmer's dries clear!! I have found that is it flexible I can move the plank if I need to and also sets fairly quickly! I purchased the applicator listed in the picture below and it works great. I would also have some good CA glue and the accelerator around does come in handy!
As with anything, especially tools!! everyone has their favorites! You can spend lots of $$ in this area, there are tools galore for sale out there!! and I have many of them that just collect DUST!! I have found that if I just thought about what the tool will do and can I make my own examples of Plank Benders I have a few of those collecting Dust! Plank bending Forms!! Plank Beveling tools you name it and it is out there for sale, I have found that most planking you will use can be formed by using steam and hot water and clamped on a form you make or find around the house. also, a hairdryer and elect. the hot water heater is very important to have around!! again this is my way and everyone has their own system. But as far as I am concerned electric heat-type plank benders are a waste of money!!!
Everyone on this site has their own methods, tools, and technics to construct their kits this is mine in the area of Planking. I know I have forgotten some things no doubt! To me, the hardest, most changeling and most rewarding parts of a model ship are the Hull construction Planking and the Rigging of the ship Hope this will help those of you who are just starting out.

View attachment 303704

View attachment 303705

View attachment 303706

View attachment 303707

Little larger picture I think

View attachment 303709

Hi bandido, nice collection of tools! Could you explain more about the item #7, small band sander, like where you have bought it and what brand is it? Also items #10 and 11, small screws interest me, how big they are and from where have you purchased them?

Hi bandido, nice collection of tools! Could you explain more about the item #7, small band sander, like where you have bought it and what brand is it? Also items #10 and 11, small screws interest me, how big they are and from where have you purchased them?
I purchased all the items on eBay Look under the mini belt sander they have many different styles and for the screws micro screws I used mostly 1mm x 1,6mm in stainless Panhead but I purchased an assortment of the planking screws I think I purchased them thru Micro-Mark Hobby supply I looked on eBay couldn't find them. but there around I am sure

Great collection! The only other tool that I use a lot, and I did not see it in your collection, is the plank bending plier by MicroMark. Picture attached. Works by crimping the back side of a wood strip causing the strip to curve. Works extremely well for any application where the back side of the strip is hidden against the hull structures. The tool does have its limitations…for example, it doesn’t work as well on very thin hard wood planking strips such as the common walnut finish layer planking although I have gotten fair results for more gentle curves.

1650723971206.jpeg

Last edited:
Here are a couple of homeIMG_3014.JPGmade planking clamps I've used for small-scale plank-on-bulwark builds. They work pretty well.

Back