Planking

Hi all, please forgive me if this is posted in the incorrect place; having sanded down the first layer of planking , my question is, is there a procedure to prepare the sanded planking to receive the second layer, such as , leaving a sanded finish, a coat of , perhaps, sanding sealer etc, will such a coat impair the. adhesion of the second planking layer?. My base layer is of Lime boards approx 5 mm wide, the second will be a hardwood of 3 mm x 1 mm , a smaller plank no doubt S little easier to apply???.
Thanks in anticipation, Chris SB3AF98A7-B9B2-4A9A-9005-83B6FF87EDE4.jpeg

Last edited:
Further to the above, is there a preferred adhesive, I.e. PVU, epoxy two part, or some other universally available type.
Thanks guys.

Hi Chris no,leave as it is,it will cause issues with gluing.Only apply sealer/finish when the second layer is on Thumbsup

Kind Regards

Nigel
Hi Nigel,
Many thanks , that’s how I had thought, but being the first I thought to ask out. Just about to attempt the first two sets of rubbing strakes in prep for the second stage planking.
Kind regards and have a good weekend. Chris S

Glue choice is very polarizing in that modellers have there own preferences.Cyanoacrylate PVA or contact adhesive are suitable.Epoxy will stick it but it will be a nightmare to work with as it has no grab properties,you would have to clamp every plank fully and solidly while the Epoxy set.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Thanks again Nigel
Glue choice is very polarizing in that modellers have there own preferences.Cyanoacrylate PVA or contact adhesive are suitable.Epoxy will stick it but it will be a nightmare to work with as it has no grab properties,you would have to clamp every plank fully and solidly while the Epoxy set.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Back