Planking

Hi all! Until recently I have always just glued the planks to the ribs, but after seeing differences in between ribs, I started glueing not only to the ribs but also plank to plank and it looks so much better and even. Maybe you all have done this before, but I'm still learning. Sometimes I'll do several planks a night and sometimes I only get one or two,taking great time to adjust the ribs. But either way I enjoy it!

Hi all! Until recently I have always just glued the planks to the ribs, but after seeing differences in between ribs, I started glueing not only to the ribs but also plank to plank and it looks so much better and even. Maybe you all have done this before, but I'm still learning. Sometimes I'll do several planks a night and sometimes I only get one or two,taking great time to adjust the ribs. But either way I enjoy it!
That's precisely what you are supposed to do. Planks glue to each other as well as the frames or bulkheads are what makes the hull strong. Trouble is, kits do not teach you the basics in planking. You have to get that information elsewhere. There are small books written just about planking available from model vendors (example: Model Expo link---> Books) and others. Tutorials are also found on some modelling websites, such as Modeler's Central. Model Expo posted the chapter 5 from instructions on building HMS Syren, attached below. Check out model planking videos on YouTube as well.

Attachments

• Planking Tutorial for HSM Syren.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 282
  • How To Plank The Hull of a Bluff Bow Model Ship.pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 241
  • How To Plank The Hull of a Sharp Bow Model Ship - Modelers Central.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 192
That's precisely what you are supposed to do. Planks glue to each other as well as the frames or bulkheads are what makes the hull strong. Trouble is, kits do not teach you the basics in planking. You have to get that information elsewhere. There are small books written just about planking available from model vendors (example: Model Expo link---> Books) and others. Tutorials are also found on some modelling websites, such as Modeler's Central. Model Expo posted the chapter 5 from instructions on building HMS Syren, attached below. Check out model planking videos on YouTube as well.

Hmmm. It looks like the Modeler's Central directions show the stealers and drop planks having "pointy" ends. I do not believe this is correct. See David Antsherl's "A Primer on planking" pages 1 and 2, -- among others.

Thanks for this topic and the replies. I have my first plank kit waiting on the shelf (a good deal on the AL Constellation) and I had just started thinking about acquiring knowledge regarding planking.....

Back