Administrator
Forum Moderator

Planset Review:
La RENOMMÉE - Frégate de VIII - 1744
in scale 1:48
by Jean Boudriot

IMG_13491.jpg IMG_13621.jpg

Monographie is available directly from ancre via
https://ancre.fr/en/monograph/20-monographie-de-la-renommee-fregate-de-8-1744.html#/langue-anglais

Price is 135,- Euro

There are different languages available, original written in french, but you can get the monographie also in english or italian language.
With the order you have to decide, which language you prefer.
In addition now available, and this is what I will do in short time - only the booklet in english or italian, for these which have the older french version.

Synopsis:

This monograph takes its place in a series of texts devoted to the most representative ships of the French Navy in the classical period. We have addressed the subject of frigates in two other monographs (the Vénus and the Belle-Poule) which are distinguishable by their battery of 8 and 12 pdr guns. The present monograph discusses an armed frigate bearing 8-pdrr guns. It is a unique ship because La Renommée was one of the first modern frigates to be built in 1744 according to Blaise Ollivier's concepts. This aspect is developed in another volume in our series which discusses the history of the frigate. The monograph on the Renommée was done using the same descriptive approach we adopt in the other monographs in the series. This full monograph is for scholars and above all for model builders. According to their skill and experience, they will be able to execute a full model of the timbers and the below-deck installations (the oblique inner planking of the hull will require great dexterity). The casks for wine and water are not represented, nor are the cables and warps. However it is possible to construct these elements using the information in volume II of The 74-gun Ship, but their placement will hide the timber work. We leave this choice to the builder at the appropriate moment. The hull may be fitted out with only the lower masts or rigged with furled or unfurled sails, allowing for full use of the monograph. The model may be built without attention to the timbers and accommodations, with or without rigging. This is entirely dependent upon the builder's taste and especially his or her experience. This monograph is intended a priori for model builders with considerable experience. Confirmed hands will be able to construct a model of rare quality, especially thanks to the beauty of this elegant frigate whose fine bottom and distinguished decoration do honor to French naval architecture.

IMG_04371.JPG

Contents:

Booklet with 112 pages format 24 x 31 - paperback
comprenant :
- Sources et historique
- Reproduction des planches avec commentaires
- Note sur le vaigrage oblique
- Note sur l'artillerie
- Note sur la peinture
- Note sur les ouvrages métalliques
- Principaux éléments du décor
- Règles du gréement
- Aboutissement des manoeuvres
- Section manoeuvres - poulierie
- Appareil des basses vergues

32 plates with drawings in scale 1:48
Liste des planches au 1/48ème
1 . Elévation.
2. Sections horizontales.
3. Sections verticales.
4. Elévation boisée.
5. Plan cale et faux-pont.
6. Vaigrage de la cale.
7. Plan carène (membrure-bordage).
8. Plan du pont de la batterie.
9. Plan des gaillards.
10. Coupes transversales
11. Coupe longitudinale.
12. Eléments de structure.
13. Réalisation de la proue.
14. Réalisation de la poupe.
15-16-17-18-19. Tracé de la membrure.
19 bis. Emménagements de la cale.
20. Emménagements du faux-pont.
21. Emménagements du pont de la batterie.
22. Installations des gaillards.
23. Coupes transversales (emménagements).
24. Coupe longitudinale (emménagements).
25. Elévation de la coque (accastillée).
26. Vues avant et arrière.
27. Accastillage (1).
28. Accastillage (2).
29. Eléments de mâture.
30. Garniture de la mâture.
31. Ensemble de la voilure (éch. 1/120ème).
32. La Renommée sous voiles (éch. 1/84ème).

First a LOOK INSIDE of the planset with 32 full size drawings:

IMG_13801.jpg

IMG_13501.jpg IMG_13681.jpg

IMG_13691.jpg IMG_13701.jpg

IMG_13711.jpg IMG_13721.jpg

IMG_13731.jpg IMG_13741.jpg

IMG_13751.jpg IMG_13761.jpg

IMG_13771.jpg IMG_13791.jpg

IMG_13801.jpg

to be continued .....

Attachments

• larenommee (6).pdf
    1 MB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Planset Review:
by Jean Boudriot

Part II - The Booklet - LOOK INSIDE

IMG_13501.jpg

IMG_13501.jpg IMG_13511.jpg

Some historic facts and information
IMG_13521.jpg IMG_13531.jpg

Explanations and descriptions of every single plate are given in the booklet
IMG_13541.jpg IMG_13551.jpg

IMG_13561.jpg IMG_13571.jpg

IMG_13581.jpg IMG_13591.jpg

also information about the details of the interieur and the equipment and finishing
IMG_13601.jpg IMG_13611.jpg

decoration are also shown
IMG_13621.jpg IMG_13631.jpg

standing and running rigging details also with a belaying plan
IMG_13651.jpg IMG_13661.jpg

list of all ropes and lines with dimensions
IMG_13671.jpg

Many thanks for your interest

Based on this monographie from Jean Boudriot, our member Patrick Jouffrin aka @Péji is building a beautiful scratch built model in scale 1:48.

Please take a look at

https://www.shipsofscale.com/sosforums/index.php?threads/la-renommée-french-frigate-1744-1-48-based-on-monographie-from-j-boudriot.2677/#post-45919

for the detailed building log .

Here some photos of his model (in actual status of October 2018) which I made during my visit of the INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION OF MODEL SHIPBUILDING in Rochefort, France

IMG_04291.JPGIMG_04261.JPGIMG_04281.JPG

A detailed report of the INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION OF MODEL SHIPBUILDING, also with other models (f.e. Le Saint Philippe ) you can find here:
https://www.shipsofscale.com/sosfor...nce-18-th-21-st-october-2018.2050/#post-42667

English translation of the
Contents:

comprising:
- Sources and history
- Reproduction of boards with comments
- Note on the oblique surface
- Note on the artillery
- Painting note
- Note on metal works
- Main elements of the decor
- Rigging rules
- Finishing of the maneuvers
- Maneuvers section - Poultry
- Apparatus of low yards

List of boards at 1 / 48th
1. Elevation.
2. Horizontal sections.
3. Vertical sections.
4. Woody elevation.
5. Plan hold and false bridge.
6. Vaigration of the hold.
7. Plan hull (chord-curling).
8. Plan the battery bridge.
9. Plan of fellows.
10. Cross sections
11. Longitudinal section.
12. Elements of structure.
13. Realization of the bow.
14. Realization of the stern.
15-16-17-18-19. Tracing the chord.
19 bis. Embankments of the hold.
20. Erections of the false bridge.
21. Emménagements of the bridge of ...

Looking great. I wished my books were here or if someone could supply my with a digital copy of the page showing all the casks and barrels and buckets at 1:48th scale as I could be making all that stuff while waiting the few weeks for my books to arrive.

the only bad thing I dont like abt ANCRE is the lack of communication. I have emailed them before asking a question before buying and they never answer. the second thing is other than the auto we got your order and money bit they never email you telling you your order has shipped or anything.

other than that I have always been happy with their product and though prob never build the Le Flouron the plans and monoghraphie are great references for this 74 I will be doing.

Hello,

If it helps, here is the document that served as the basis for my barrels. It is extracted from Boudriot's "Vessel of 74 guns". it is at 1/24, so print at the scale of "1". The small chart that I added gives the dimensions to 1/48 for the models that I chose to make. (You can also check against the drawing).

Patrick1052.jpg

Last edited:
Planset Review:
by Jean Boudriot

View attachment 65044 View attachment 65045

Monographie is available directly from ancre via
https://ancre.fr/en/monograph/20-monographie-de-la-renommee-fregate-de-8-1744.html#/langue-anglais

Price is 135,- Euro

There are different languages available, original written in french, but you can get the monographie also in english or italian language.
In addition now available, and this is what I will do in short time - only the booklet in english or italian, for these which have the older french version.

Synopsis:

This monograph takes its place in a series of texts devoted to the most representative ships of the French Navy in the classical period. We have addressed the subject of frigates in two other monographs (the Vénus and the Belle-Poule) which are distinguishable by their battery of 8 and 12 pdr guns. The present monograph discusses an armed frigate bearing 8-pdrr guns. It is a unique ship because La Renommée was one of the first modern frigates to be built in 1744 according to Blaise Ollivier's concepts. This aspect is developed in another volume in our series which discusses the history of the frigate. The monograph on the Renommée was done using the same descriptive approach we adopt in the other monographs in the series. This full monograph is for scholars and above all for model builders. According to their skill and experience, they will be able to execute a full model of the timbers and the below-deck installations (the oblique inner planking of the hull will require great dexterity). The casks for wine and water are not represented, nor are the cables and warps. However it is possible to construct these elements using the information in volume II of The 74-gun Ship, but their placement will hide the timber work. We leave this choice to the builder at the appropriate moment. The hull may be fitted out with only the lower masts or rigged with furled or unfurled sails, allowing for full use of the monograph. The model may be built without attention to the timbers and accommodations, with or without rigging. This is entirely dependent upon the builder's taste and especially his or her experience. This monograph is intended a priori for model builders with considerable experience. Confirmed hands will be able to construct a model of rare quality, especially thanks to the beauty of this elegant frigate whose fine bottom and distinguished decoration do honor to French naval architecture.

View attachment 65047

Contents:

comprenant :
- Sources et historique
- Reproduction des planches avec commentaires
- Note sur le vaigrage oblique
- Note sur l'artillerie
- Note sur la peinture
- Note sur les ouvrages métalliques
- Principaux éléments du décor
- Règles du gréement
- Aboutissement des manoeuvres
- Section manoeuvres - poulierie
- Appareil des basses vergues

Liste des planches au 1/48ème
1 . Elévation.
2. Sections horizontales.
3. Sections verticales.
4. Elévation boisée.
5. Plan cale et faux-pont.
6. Vaigrage de la cale.
7. Plan carène (membrure-bordage).
8. Plan du pont de la batterie.
9. Plan des gaillards.
10. Coupes transversales
11. Coupe longitudinale.
12. Eléments de structure.
13. Réalisation de la proue.
14. Réalisation de la poupe.
15-16-17-18-19. Tracé de la membrure.
19 bis. Emménagements de la cale.
20. Emménagements du faux-pont.
21. Emménagements du pont de la batterie.
22. Installations des gaillards.
23. Coupes transversales (emménagements).
24. Coupe longitudinale (emménagements).
25. Elévation de la coque (accastillée).
26. Vues avant et arrière.
27. Accastillage (1).
28. Accastillage (2).
29. Eléments de mâture.
30. Garniture de la mâture.
31. Ensemble de la voilure (éch. 1/120ème).
32. La Renommée sous voiles (éch. 1/84ème).

First a LOOK INSIDE of the planset with 32 full size drawings:

View attachment 65063

View attachment 65048 View attachment 65064

View attachment 65052 View attachment 65053

View attachment 65054 View attachment 65055

View attachment 65056 View attachment 65057

View attachment 65058 View attachment 65059

View attachment 65060 View attachment 65062

View attachment 65063

to be continued .....
Is this stuff in French and English, my dream is to bild a model like this when i feel that i are good enof?.

Some days ago, I received a bigger order of books from ancre, also the english version of the booklet.
So if you have an original version of the monographie of the La Renommee in french language (in the past only french was available), you can now order the new english version of the booklet for only 30 Euros without once more the complete drawing set - in my opinion a very good service

you have to click on "Brochure en Anglais seule"

IMG_41051.jpg IMG_41061.jpg

Content:

Sources and History
Reproduction of plates and comments
Note on diagonal braces
Note concerning the artillery
Note on painting schema
Note concerning the iron work
Pieces of decoration
Rigging rules
Melaying Points
Running rigging and blocks
Lower yards rigging

IMG_41231.jpg

Looking Inside:

IMG_41071.jpg IMG_41081.jpg

IMG_41091.jpg IMG_41101.jpg

IMG_41101.jpg

IMG_41111.jpg IMG_41121.jpg

IMG_41131.jpg IMG_41141.jpg

IMG_41151.jpg IMG_41161.jpg

IMG_41161.jpg

IMG_41171.jpg IMG_41181.jpg

IMG_41191.jpg IMG_41201.jpg

IMG_41191.jpg

IMG_41211.jpg IMG_41221.jpg

Hi all.
I'm out of one's depth but helping a friend who is constructing a model of "Renommee", I went in a search on how he could set folded jib sails on the bowsprit.
He was stuck realizing that, with all those lines guiding the antennas below the bowsprit, the sails, secure lines and many others, it would be rather difficult even for the crew of the real ship.
A search shown that the very few modelers who constructed folded jib sails, had followed the "traditional" method, setting down the sails skipping other lines...(p.e. lines on the stays, preventing the upper-top sails from chafing).
So I asked him the Monographie to take a look and I stayed on the painting of the cover (and inside). It is work of the marine painter Joseph Vernet (1714-1789) showing “Renommee” in the port of Marseille.
With my poor knowledge, I think the solution in there. As you can see the jibs are folded on the stays.
bsrb.jpg
This makes me think that it could be some functional -managing "problem", folding the sails on the bowsprit.
I thought that the painter might has made a personal artistic touch on the paint but with an additional search, I found that this practice was shown also in other sketches-drawings, so it should had been something common.
Galiote_a_bombes_vers_1764.jpg
Sketch from https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombarde_(marine) and other sketches in the book “Bastiments de la mer Mediterranee” pages 35-37-42.

My French are non existence, so I don't know what in the text of Monografie is described but from the rigging plans, I don't see any recommendation on folding the jibs on the stays....

I would like to have any other opinion on that.
Many thanks
Thx

Last edited:
The French rigged their sails differently than the English, so the painting on the monograph's front is likely the correct configuration, especially since you found other pictorial sources of jibs rigged the same way. Also, the painting by Vernet on the cover of La Renommée: Frégate de 8, is not that of the frigate but one Boudroit found comparable to the frigate, actually an unnamed corvette. To my knowledge there exists no known picture of la Renommée, or the Renown after capture, and I've been searching everywhere (including abroad) for one for over fifteen years. The closest we can come to knowing what the ship actually looked like are descriptions of it and similar frigates built during the same period, such as la Medée and la Panthére (later the HMS Amazon). The British Royal Navy surveyed the ship a few times and there does exist a few plan drawings of its elevations on file at the NMM but without masts or rigging. The monograph by Boudroit also shows the decorative elements on the stern and bow taken from drawings by Charles-Philippe Caffieri, the Master Sculptor at the Brest shipyard that are archived there. In my opinion, rigging the jibs folded as in the pictures would be your best bet. Good luck with it!

Last edited:
The planset of the Le Renommee by Jean Boudriot is now also in bigger scale of 1:36 from ancre available

Back