Planset review LA VENUS - 18-pdr frigate 1782" by J.Boudriot / H. Berti + "Structural Elements LA VENUS" by F. Fissore

Uwek

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Planset Review:
LA VENUS - 18-pdr frigate 1782
by Jean Boudriot & Hubert Berti
in scale 1:48
+
Structural Elements LA VENUS

by Franco Fissore
in scale 1:48 with english translations by Francois Fougerat

IMG_26211.jpg IMG_26221.jpg IMG_16331.jpg

IMG_16341.jpg

This monographie is available from ancre in different languages, which can be choosen - English / French or Italian
Also available is the same planset but in scale 1:72

IMG_26441.jpg

Important to explain the two parts of the drawing set which form the complete documentation:

La "Vénus" : frégate de 18, de l'ingénieur Sané, 1782, Paris, ANCRE, coll. « Archéologie navale française », 1979 (ISBN 2-903-179-01-8) was the first monographie Jean Boudriot in cooperation with Hubert Berti published in 1979. This monographie contents a small booklet plus 13 plans. At this time no drawings of the frames were included, so the modelers had to construct the framing based on the lines by themself.

This gap of the original documentation was closed later on by ancre with the additional 16 drawings with the title STRUCTURAL ELEMENTS LA VÉNUS (french Charpente de la Venus) drawn by F. Fissore

The mentioned parts of the monographie can be ordered from ancre together or also separate.

Some words about the Ship:

from wikipedia:

Vénus was a 38-gun Hébé-class frigate of the French Navy.
In the summer of 1782, Vénus operated as a transport between Rochefort and Île de Ré. She served in Martinique during the American War of Independence.
From 1785 to 1788, Vénus undertook a scientific expedition in the Indian Ocean, under Captain de Rossily.
Vénus was wrecked in a storm on her way back to France, on 31 December 1788

John_Christian_Schetky,_HMS_Amelia_Chasing_the_French_Frigate_Aréthuse_1813_(1852).jpg
HMS Amelia, ex-Prosperine (sistership of the Hebe-class)

SYNOPSIS:

MONOGRAPHIE DE LA VENUS - Frégate de 18 - 1782

The frigate La Vénus, referred to as an 18-pdr because of the caliber of her main artillery, was conceived and designed by the engineer Sané and built in Brest in 1782. It is one of the prototypes of the 143 similar frigates which were to be built in every port of France and continental Europe from 1780 to the end of the French Empire.

Often imitated by the British, Sané's 18-pdr frigates enjoyed remarkable success during their lengthy career. The last ones, built at the end of the Empire (1813) were not dropped from the lists until about 1850.

The French archives abound in accounts of the valorous actions led by Sané's frigates. Other episodes, like the story of the Médusé whose wreck was found on the banks of the Arguin are less commandable.

The documentation we offer here brings the Vénus to life. Further research, which was facilitated by documents in French and British archives, as well as archives in the many other countries occupied by the French Empire, enables the construction of the Vénus and other frigates of the same type with a particular decoration or distinguished military career. The Vénus herself had a non-combative and humanitarian career. Her captain, de Rossily, the former commander of the lugger LE COUREUR at the time of the famous battle of LA BELLE POULE, sailed her on a voyage of discovery in the Red Sea, the Persian Gulf, and the Indian Ocean before her complete disappearance during a hurricane with all crew and cargo, on 31 December 1788 after having set sail from Saint Paul de la Réunion.

IMG_26201.jpg

CONTENTS OF THE MONOGRAPH

75 p. booklet,
24x31cm format, including :

1. The history of frigates in the French navy
2. Analysis of the results of research which enabled the writing of the monograph
3. Commentary and analysis of 13 photographs of ship's models in the Musée de la Marine in Paris, two paintings by François Roux and two plates from the Atlas du génie maritime (The Atlas of Naval Genius)
4. History of the campaign of the Vénus in the Indian Ocean from 1785 to 1788
5. Detailed commentary with all necessary information on the 13 plates at 1:72 scale, with several drawings of details of fitting at 1:36 scale
6. Complete vocabulary of fitting and rigging.

IMG_26231.jpg

IMG_26241.jpg IMG_26251.jpg

IMG_26261.jpg IMG_26271.jpg

IMG_26281.jpg IMG_26291.jpg

IMG_26301.jpg

A set of 13 plates at 1:48 scale including

1. Shape of the hull, longitudinal plans
2. Shape of the hull, cross-cut plans, front and rear views of the frigate, cross-sections
3. Planking of the hull
4. Construction of the head,and the quarter galleries in the stern.
5. Plan of the ship's battery and a partial longitudinal section.
6. Plan of the forecastle and partial longitudinal section.
7. Fitting and details
8. Elements of the masting
9. Elements of rigging for masts and various pieces of fitting
10. Longitudinal sails and standing rigging
11. Installing the square sails of the foremast and mainmast, issue of rigging on the outside of the hull
12. Installing the square sails of the mizzenmast, issue of rigging on the deck.

IMG_26451.jpg IMG_26461.jpg

IMG_26471.jpg IMG_26481.jpg

IMG_26491.jpg IMG_26501.jpg

IMG_26511.jpg

to be continued ..... go to the following post .....

Attachments

• CHARPENTE_LA_VENUS_ANGL bd (5).pdf
    746.9 KB · Views: 105
  • LA_VENUS_ANGLAIS.pdf
    689.1 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Planset Review: PART II
+

by Franco Fissore

SYNOPSIS:

STRUCTURAL ELEMENTS LA VÉNUS - Franco Fissore Traduit par Francois Fougerat

A 32 page booklet in full color, including 14 pages on the realization of the framework with 50 color photos.
A cardboard box encloses the booklet and the 16 plates.

The monograph of La Venus is part of a series dedicated to the types of vessel most representative of our navy in the classical era. Thus, frigates have already been the subject of monographs such as La Belle Poule. La Venus is characterized by the artillery of her battery, armed with 18-pounders, and also by her designer, the naval architect Sane around 1780.
Our objective is to complete this monograph in order to enable modelers to construct a structural model that includes the interior furnishings.
The new plates that complete La Venus have been drawn according to the descriptive order that was used in previous publications.

2 scales are proposed:
- The booklet and the 16 boards in 1 / 72e in a cardboard box.
- The booklet and 10 boards of the original VENUS in 1/48 with in addition the 16 boards of the frame at 1/48th in a cardboard box.

IMG_26311.jpg IMG_26322.jpg

IMG_26321.jpg IMG_26331.jpg

IMG_26351.jpg IMG_26361.jpg

IMG_26371.jpg IMG_26381.jpg

IMG_26391.jpg IMG_26401.jpg

IMG_26411.jpg IMG_26421.jpg

IMG_26431.jpg IMG_26441.jpg

The monograph is made up of the following

16 plates:

Plate XIV Hull timbering, side view
Plate XV Structural elements
Plate XVI Frame plans
Plate XVII Frame plans
Plate XVIII Frame plans
Plate XIX Frame plans
Plate XX Construction of the stern
Plate XXa Section 6 aft - 1 forward
Plate XXI Construction of the stern
Plate XXII Longitudinal section
Plate XXIII Arrangements in the hold
Plate XXIV Arrangements in the hold
Plate XXV Arrangements in the hold
Plate XXVI Upper deck layout
Plate XXVII Orlop deck layout
Plate XXVIII Gun-deck layout
Plate XXIX Longitudinal section
Side view of the painted hull

IMG_26521.jpg IMG_26531.jpg

IMG_26541.jpg IMG_26551.jpg

At first glance, this monograph is directed to experienced modelers. With a proven skill, they will be able to construct a model with a rare quality, because of the innate elegance of this frigate, and I may add her beauty , the fine runs of her hull as well as her decoration which is a tribute to French naval architecture.
Translated by Francois Fougerat.

Attachments

• CHARPENTE_LA_VENUS_ANGL bd (5).pdf
    746.9 KB · Views: 41
  • LA_VENUS_ANGLAIS.pdf
    689.1 KB · Views: 48
Once more to the french Hebe class frigates

Unbenannt.JPG

From the six built frigates (Hebe, Venus, Dryade, Proserpine, Sibylle and Carmagnole), three were captured by the british and commissioned under the names HMS Leda, HMS Amelia and HMS Sybille.

j5593.jpg
sheer & profile (ZAZ2260) of Amelia

j5591.jpg

j5575 (1).jpg
Lines & Profile (ZAZ2258) Proserpine

In addition the captured Hebe was the basis for the british shipbuilder to create a similar class of british frigates under the name of Leda-class

j4079.jpg
Scale: 1:48. Plan showing the body plan, sheer lines, and longitudinal half-breadth for 'Leda' (1800), and later with alterations for 'Pomone' (1805), 'Shannon' (1806), 'Leonidas' (1807), 'Surprise' (1812), 'Lacedemonian' (1812), 'Tenedos' (1812), 'Lively' (1804), 'Trinocomalee' (1817), 'Amphitrite' (1816), 'Hebe' (1826), and 'Venus' (1820), all 38-gun Fifth Rate, Frigates. The draught was prepared from that of the captured French ship 'Hebe' (captured 1782). The plans for 'Amphitrite' and 'Trincomalee' were resent in 1813 on the 'Stirling Castle' after the capture of 'Java' by the US Frigate 'Constitution' in 1812. A duplicate set were dispatched on the Hon East India Company ship 'Tigris' in 1814. This plan was sent to Devonport, arriving on 20 January 1875. The plan was later sent to Chatham, arriving 8 July 1893, for making a half-model of 'Shannon' for the museum in the R. N. College, Greenwich

j4076.jpg
Scale: 1:48. Plan showing the framing profile (disposition) for 'Leda' (1800), a 38-gun Fifth Rate, Frigate, building at Chatham Dockyard

j4077.jpg j4078.jpg j4075.jpg

With the planset from ancre, you have a very good basis to built either a french Hebe-class frigate, and/or the captured one´s under the british flag,
or maybe also a later a british Leda-class when you use the lines etc.

I am thinking of using this planset for my next project ......

Hello all of you,
I haven't be very present lately, but it happens that I have the monographie of LA VENUS in English... Plus some other monographies from the French Maritime Museum as well as some books from Mr. J. Boudriot in french. My mother tongue is french, so if I can be of any help, it will be with great pleasure.
Happy modelling
Denis Gaille
P.S. I will be back soon with my new project: the first Greek schooner dated 1818 named TERPSICHORE
Happy modelling
This was posted by @Denis Gaille , but unfortunately the post disappeared, so therefore we copied his post in this way.... Sorry Denis

Planset Review: PART II
+

by Franco Fissore

SYNOPSIS:

STRUCTURAL ELEMENTS LA VÉNUS
- Franco Fissore Traduit par Francois Fougerat

A 32 page booklet in full color, including 14 pages on the realization of the framework with 50 color photos.
A cardboard box encloses the booklet and the 16 plates.

The monograph of La Venus is part of a series dedicated to the types of vessel most representative of our navy in the classical era. Thus, frigates have already been the subject of monographs such as La Belle Poule. La Venus is characterized by the artillery of her battery, armed with 18-pounders, and also by her designer, the naval architect Sane around 1780.
Our objective is to complete this monograph in order to enable modelers to construct a structural model that includes the interior furnishings.
The new plates that complete La Venus have been drawn according to the descriptive order that was used in previous publications.

2 scales are proposed:
- The booklet and the 16 boards in 1 / 72e in a cardboard box.
- The booklet and 10 boards of the original VENUS in 1/48 with in addition the 16 boards of the frame at 1/48th in a cardboard box.

View attachment 101685 View attachment 101687

View attachment 101686 View attachment 101688

View attachment 101689 View attachment 101690

View attachment 101691 View attachment 101692

View attachment 101693 View attachment 101694

View attachment 101695 View attachment 101696

View attachment 101697 View attachment 101698

The monograph is made up of the following

16 plates:

Plate XIV Hull timbering, side view
Plate XV Structural elements
Plate XVI Frame plans
Plate XVII Frame plans
Plate XVIII Frame plans
Plate XIX Frame plans
Plate XX Construction of the stern
Plate XXa Section 6 aft - 1 forward
Plate XXI Construction of the stern
Plate XXII Longitudinal section
Plate XXIII Arrangements in the hold
Plate XXIV Arrangements in the hold
Plate XXV Arrangements in the hold
Plate XXVI Upper deck layout
Plate XXVII Orlop deck layout
Plate XXVIII Gun-deck layout
Plate XXIX Longitudinal section
Side view of the painted hull

View attachment 101699 View attachment 101700

View attachment 101701 View attachment 101702

At first glance, this monograph is directed to experienced modelers. With a proven skill, they will be able to construct a model with a rare quality, because of the innate elegance of this frigate, and I may add her beauty , the fine runs of her hull as well as her decoration which is a tribute to French naval architecture.
Translated by Francois Fougerat.

Hello all of you,
I haven't be very present lately, but it happens that I have the monographie of LA VENUS in English... Plus some other monographies from the French Maritime Museum as well as some books from Mr. J. Boudriot in french. My mother tongue is french, so if I can be of any help, it will be with great pleasure.
Happy modelling
Denis Gaille
P.S. I will be back soon with my new project: the first Greek schooner dated 1818 named TERPSICHORE

Very nice review, Uwe.

The monograph was my first on from Ancre. I bought the book in the late '80s of the last century.
Now I have specialized a little bit on english ships, so I think that I will never build her.

Very nice review, Uwe.

The monograph was my first on from Ancre. I bought the book in the late '80s of the last century.
Now I have specialized a little bit on english ships, so I think that I will never build her.
Many thanks for your kind words
As you know I like the french very much, so I am in moment thinking about building the Venus or the L'Egyptienne - both beautiful ships o_O o_O

Back