Planset review L'EGYPTIENNE - french 24-prd frigate - 1799" in scale 1:48 by Gerard Delacroix

Uwek

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Planset Review:
L'EGYPTIENNE
24-prd French frigate - 1799
in scale 1:48 by Gerard Delacroix alias our member @G. DELACROIX

IMG_39531.jpg IMG_39551.jpg IMG_39541.jpg

Brand new release, just some days ago published and already on my desk - many thanks to Gerard for the fast and safe postage.

This very comprehensive and detailed monograph / planset is available directly via Gerards web-page

4.JPG

1.JPG

SYNOPSIS:

The increase in the guns caliber on board of the frigates during the eighteenth century implies a gradual increase in the size of these ships. Naturally, the race for caliber will include, at the end of the century, the 24 prd (weight of the ball in pounds) previously reserved for the ships. During this period, only four units were built. Two of them will be characterized by remarkable performances, La Forte and L'Egyptienne, frigates designed by François Caro.

Based on first-hand contemporary documents and two existing models kept at the Musée de la Marine, it was possible to reconstruct the plans of one of them for which a lot of information is available.

The monograph thus presents the complete study of the frigate L'Egyptienne armed with 24 prd guns. This analysis shows in detail all of her construction with her framework, equipment, decoration, mature, sails and rigging.

This study required the creation of 39 plates reproduced at 1:48. A 216-page booklet explains the story of the frigate, its design, the details of drawing, the rigging rules, and various technical notes needed to build a model. The booklet is illustrated with numerous 3D drawings and 60 photos of the two existing models of the Marine Museum.

one of the contemporary models of the Musée de la Marine
egypti10.jpg

Size of the built model:

The model measures at 1/48 ° (L x W x H):
hull only 1.28 m x 0.28 m x 0.27 m
with masts and rigged 1.66 m x 0.64 m x 1.28 m

IMG_39561.jpg

CONTENT:

Summary of the book:
24 x 31 cm booklet and 39 plates in a flap box
Jacket illustrated with a watercolor by Jean Bellis.

Booklet 216 pages:

General information on frigates
L'Egyptienne
Instructions for travel to Egypt
Sources
Principles of construction
The decor
Artillery
Chain-pumps
The photos of both models
Plates comments
Metal parts
Paintings
Tables of scantling
Rigging
Dimensions of the rigging
Thanks

List of 39 plates at 1/48:

1 - Schematic elevation of the hull
2 - Vertical sections
3 - Horizontal sections
4 - Structural elements 1
5 - Structural members 2 and chain pumps
6, 7, 8 and 9 - Frames
10 - Framing of the rear
11 - Hawse timbers
12 - Elevation of the framing
13 - Planking
14 - Construction of the head
15 - Rear construction
16 - Longitudinal section
17 - Hold arrangements, low level
18 - Hold arrangements, high level
19 - Structure and fittings of the orlop deck
20 - Structure of the main deck
21 - Arrangements of the main deck
22 - Frame of forecastle et quarterdeck
23 - Fittings of forecastle et quarterdeck
24 - Finished longitudinal section
25 - Cross sections
26 - Equipment, part 1
27 - Equipment, part 2
28 - Boats
29 - Front and rear views
30 - View from above of the complete hull
31 - Great elevation of the hull completed
32 - Plan of copper
33 - Drawings of masts and yards
34 - Filling of the masts
35 - Rigging and rigging accessories
36 - Sails (1/96)
37 - Belaying pins (1/72)
38 - Standing rigging and longitudinal sails (1/96)
39 - L'Egyptienne under sails (1/96)

My first impression and Comment:

It is a high quality monograph, with very good and detailed descriptions in the booklet, which is with with 219 pages a bigger one. Very good and informative colored photos of the existing models, also colored excerpts from drawings in combination with detailed explanations of the french history of frigates with their technical development. Also construction details are explained, so also a great source to understand in principle french frigates -> It is great booklet (take a closer look at the "Look Inside" - photos and you will understand.
Also very positive is the bigger number of drawings which are attached. It seems, that every detail is shown and a great model can be constructed. What I like very much is the fact, that Gerard used very thin thickness of the lines in the drawings - in my opinion very good for the accuracy.

And also very important:
The ship is very very attractive - I was falling in love with this vessel - and I am sure, I am not alone.
I can imagine, that the L'Egyptienne monographie will get a reference planset and a lot of modelers will try and will finalize a model.
This ship is now for me on the top of my personal list of possible scratch built models - I think, that I will try (and hopefully finalize)

This new monograph is highly recommended - do not miss it !

Look Inside of the booklet:

IMG_39571.jpg

IMG_39581.jpg IMG_39591.jpg

IMG_39601.jpg IMG_39611.jpg

IMG_39621.jpg IMG_39631.jpg

IMG_39641.jpg IMG_39651.jpg

IMG_39661.jpg IMG_39671.jpg

IMG_39681.jpg IMG_39691.jpg

More Look Inside photos of the booklet and all drawings you can find in the following post .....

Planset Review: PART II
L'EGYPTIENNE

Look at these beautiful contemporary models!

IMG_39701.jpg

IMG_39701.jpg IMG_39711.jpg

IMG_39721.jpg IMG_39731.jpg

IMG_39741.jpg IMG_39751.jpg

IMG_39761.jpg IMG_39771.jpg

The monograph by itself - every drawing is explained and described
IMG_39781.jpg

IMG_39781.jpg IMG_39791.jpg

IMG_39801.jpg IMG_39811.jpg

IMG_39821.jpg IMG_39831.jpg

IMG_39841.jpg IMG_39851.jpg

IMG_39861.jpg

IMG_39861.jpg IMG_39871.jpg

IMG_39881.jpg IMG_39891.jpg

IMG_39901.jpg

IMG_39901.jpg IMG_39911.jpg

IMG_39921.jpg

Sorry for the bigger number of pages, but I wanted to show the quality and content of this given information.
Like in a book shop and you thumb through a book in your hands

Planset Review: PART III
L'EGYPTIENNE

Look Inside of the Drawings

IMG_39941.jpg

IMG_39941.jpg IMG_39951.jpg

IMG_39961.jpg IMG_39971.jpg

IMG_39981.jpg IMG_39991.jpg

IMG_40001.jpg IMG_40011.jpg

IMG_40011.jpg

IMG_40021.jpg IMG_40051.jpg

IMG_40051.jpg

IMG_40061.jpg IMG_40071.jpg

IMG_40081.jpg

IMG_40081.jpg

I guess, now you understand, why I was falling love into this ship - Many thanks to Gerard, for this "masterpiece"

In the next weeks I will start to study the drawings and the given information.......

What i see is an outstanding monography. The explosions in the documentation, the descriptions, are very very good and a good expansion for everybody who need know how in french shipbuilding. I will wait for the english translation.
As discussed before on another place.
The english version will be a pdf which you will get via e-mail - so you can order now and enjoy the monograph already, and later you will get the english text.

Merci Uwe pour cette revue de la monographie et pour les gentils commentaires.
J'essaie de transmettre toute ma passion pour l'ancienne architecture navale à travers mes publications, heureuse que cela vous plaise.

GD

Google translation:
Thank you Uwe for this review of the monograph and for the nice comments.
I try to transmit all my passion for the old naval architecture through my publications, happy that you like it.

Merci Uwe pour cette revue de la monographie et pour les gentils commentaires.
J'essaie de transmettre toute ma passion pour l'ancienne architecture navale à travers mes publications, heureuse que cela vous plaise.

GD

Google translation:
Thank you Uwe for this review of the monograph and for the nice comments.
I try to transmit all my passion for the old naval architecture through my publications, happy that you like it.
and we can see this passion by 100% - thanks, many thanks for such work and your enthusiasm Thumbs-Up

Gerard: Congratulations on a great monograph. I have a quick question, is this monograph available for a limited time or will it be available for purchase as part of your inventory of monographs? Any information would be great.

Mike Draper
Whitehorse, Yukon
Canada

Gerard: Congratulations on a great monograph. I have a quick question, is this monograph available for a limited time or will it be available for purchase as part of your inventory of monographs? Any information would be great.

Mike Draper
Whitehorse, Yukon
Canada
Hello Mike

I don’t see why would not be in his inventory ,just seems that so much work has been spent on this monograph,but @G. DELACROIX will answer that for sure.

Hello Mike

I don’t see why would not be in his inventory ,just seems that so much work has been spent on this monograph,but @G. DELACROIX will answer that for sure.
Thanks.. I assumed the monograph will be available for the foreseeable future but I thought I would check.

Mike Draper
Whitehorse, Yukon
Canada

Hello

And thank you for your interest to my work.
The monograph is available and will remain so until the printed copies are exhausted. It's certain that, one day or another, there will not be available because it is a small printing.

GD
Gerard: Thank you for your response. I will purchase it in the next couple of days.

Mike Draper
Whitehorse, Yukon
Canada

Yesterday i had the luck to meet a friend to take a deeeeeep look into the planset from the LÉgyptienne. What a big pack of plans !!!
The Planset is really awesome. When you take a look you need to cancel all your open projects and to start immediatly with the build.
In my opinion it is a benchmark in quality and detailism. Bravo Zulu ! Well done, Gerard !

Last edited:
Yesterday i had the luck to meet a friend to take a deeeeeep look into the planset from the LÉgyptienne. What a big pack of plans !!!
The Planset is really awesome. When you take a look you need to cancel all your open projects and to start immediatly with the build.
In my opinion it is a benchmark in quality and detailism. Bravo Zulu ! Well done, Gerard !

That is all I need to hear!

Mike Draper
Whitehorse, Yukon
Canada

Back