Plastic sails - Brigantine Phoenix [COMPLETED BUILD]

Sveiki, gaminu Brigantina Phoenix
DSC_0099.JPG

Laivo korpusas medinis, bet burės plastikinės. Man labiau patinka šios burės, nes jos tvirtos konstrukcijos, lengvai nusivalo nuo dulkių ir niekada nepraras formos. Aš juos darau iš stiklo pluošto ir epoksidinės dervos. Trumpai aprašysiu procesą:
Iš plastilino iškirpau burės formą

Aplink lipdomą formą darau karkasą, kad neišbėgtų klijai, ir užpilu epoksidine derva.
DSC_0127.JPG
Kai epoksidinė derva išdžiūsta, išimu plastiliną ir turiu burės formą.20220719_091431.jpg
Įdedu į formą stiklo pluošto, klijų ir gaunu burę.
20220719_091643.jpg
Burei reikalingas nedidelis remontas ir dažymas.
Šis burių gamybos būdas yra vertingas, jei planuojate pagaminti kelis identiškus laivų modelius.

20220719_091239.jpg

Last edited:
You are building a very beautiful brigantine, please Algirdas don't put plastic sails on it. Much better without them or with them collected. It is my modest opinion, but always the author has the last word.

Cheers ;)

While I am limited to building plastic models, due to limited mobility, I have to say that plastic sails, if "treated" right, are more realistic-looking than cloth sails. This is only my humble opinion, so it's not worth much. The only plastic sails that look like crap are partially furled, or brailled ones.They are impossible to make right, in my experience. But full sails can be edged & "weathered" with Ranger distressed ink, among other treatments, & made to look almost real. It just takes some imagination & time! Again, this is just my opinion, & which model company makes them has a lot to do with a "quality" look. Rick1011

I like to leave the sails collected in or semi collected in and with a thin fabric a good effect is achieved. But I must admit that your brig looks magnified with the sails in the wind.Ship-1

Cheers ;)

I like to leave the sails collected in or semi collected in and with a thin fabric a good effect is achieved. But I must admit that your brig looks magnified with the sails in the wind.Ship-1

Cheers ;)
Thank you for the comment. When making these sails, I'm not making a very exact replica of the ship's model, but these sails look nicer to me. Sails in the wind. Thumbs-Up

Personally I like sails of any sort on models as long as they are period correct for the ship. Takes more rigging with the sails but cloth or plastic the model looks better to me.

It is very difficult to make a ship model with beautiful sails that would be in the wind. A model ship with beautiful sails always looks better than one without sails. I made a few mistakes while making the Brigantina Phoenix. I am currently building another brigantine phoenix with no errors.DSC_0253.JPG
I ordered good quality ropes from https://www.modellbau-takelgarn.com/
However, I am very disappointed with this seller because I didn't get all the ropes I ordered. The seller said that he forgot, but he will not send the unsent ropes. The seller J. Marx excused himself that the price of 6.5 euros (dollars) was too high and he would not correct his mistake.
jjj.jpg
I think that if the seller forgot to send the whole package, he has to resend it. I am very disappointed with https://www.modellbau-takelgarn.com
please help from all visitors. Write where you will be buying the ropes for the rigging of model ships. I need a lot more ropes. I know just https://syrenshipmodelcompany.com but this company is not from Europe.

Your shipper should send you what he has forgotten if you have paid for the merchandise up front. If you haven't actually paid for the other parts then you have no case. You should pay for the new parts and the shipping if you want them. This is very unethical for the shipper because it is his mistake but you are doing the right thing by making the rest of us aware of the situation. I'm not sure what you are buying from him but rigging line is available from Dry Dock Models and Parts on line. The rigging is all cotton if that helps but they have lots of other things too. They ship out of Saskatchewan, Canada so everything goes through customs in Los Angeles first and then on to you. I'm getting shipments in about seven days by UPS but small orders for individual items may come by USPS instead and that takes longer by a few days but is less expensive.
I'm interested in what you are buying from Europe. Is it a special rigging rope that is better for our models or what? I see you're from Lithuania so that explains why you want to buy over there. Shipping from Canada may be a lot more so that's something to be considered.
Looking at your models pictured above I'm really impressed with your work. Your rigging is nice and tight and look great. Love the sails too.

Of course I paid in advance by bank transfer. the seller promised me to put the yarn from which they make ropes. Lithuania is a very small country and it is not possible to buy Guttermann polyester thread here. I have lower taxes when buying in a European Union country. I don't want to buy from this seller anymore because I'm afraid that I won't receive a whole package again.
It's very sad, but it can happen to every buyer

If you paid for the full order in advance then he owes you the difference. Maybe he's out of what you want and doesn't want to admitt it but he still owes it to you. You did the right thing by putting this problem up for our benefit. I hope some other people will come back to you on this and you can make it all good again. Can you buy direct from Guttermann? Tell them about this too. They just may have something to say to one of their dealers to straighten all this out or sell to you direct to keep a customer. Is the polyester better than cotton? I've notice that cotton will sag in the humidity here in Florida and then tighten back up when the humidity goes down. Not really a problem but interesting non the less. Pete

Yes I can see the colors ok. That is nice looking rope too. I'll send you a picture of what I have in a minute. What in the world are you doing up at three in the morning? It's six thirty here right now. maybe it's three in the afternoon there, not sure.

My camera isn't so hot with close ups but I guess you can see it ok. if you go to the Dry Dock Models and Parts.com you can check the price of these and the rest of what they sell. The heavier rope is 1.4 mm and is six meters long. The other lighter rope is 0.7 mm and is also six meters. These are light color beige and darker colors are available too all in quite a few sizes. I will be using this rope on my 1:78 Cutty Sark so I'll know more later on in the work. It definitely looks better than the stuff that comes with the kit I think. I don't usually worry about the size of ropes and use what comes with the kit. But the Cutty is a big model so the rope sizes will be very visible when it's finished.

100_0027 (5).JPG

Last edited:
Back