Plywood to stained wood?

I'm currently working on the AL Belem kit, and I'm having problems understanding how to reproduce the actual stained wood look of a lot of the parts.
The Belem paint kit contains "oak wood stain", but since many of the parts that are supposed to look like varnished oak are actually made from plywood or metal the instructions say to first paint them white. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to actually make it look like stained wood afterwards though. Is AL just cheating with the instructions here, or is there a way to do it?

AL1.PNG

AL2.PNG

AL3.PNG

AL4.PNG

I'm going to answer my own question in case anyone else wonders about the same.
I still think that AL cheated a bit with these pictures, but as it turns out, using wood stain on white-painted surfaces work surprisingly well as long as you:

1. Put away the airbrush, it has nothing to do here after applying the first white coat.
2. Using a fine brush, apply many very thin layers of wood stain paint, always moving the brush in the same direction to simulate wood grain.
3. Stop in time. More layers will give a darker coating, but also eventually hide the faux wood grain that you want to highlight.

It won't be as nice as naturally stained wood, but for plywood and metal pieces it's not too bad.

I'm currently working on the AL Belem kit, and I'm having problems understanding how to reproduce the actual stained wood look of a lot of the parts.
The Belem paint kit contains "oak wood stain", but since many of the parts that are supposed to look like varnished oak are actually made from plywood or metal the instructions say to first paint them white. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to actually make it look like stained wood afterwards though. Is AL just cheating with the instructions here, or is there a way to do it?
Hallo @tbrox
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Cover the ugly edges of the plywood with a strip of hardwood veneer. Try to use strips which are similar in grain and color to the face of the plywood. This is often done with the keel in kits that have plywood and the results are quite convincing. If you know the pattern of the original planking, veneers can simulate the timbers is the right arrangement without making the part from separate pieces of hardwood.

1702693721080.png

1702693976817.png

Back