"Polotsk" Schooner 1:72 Master Korabel

Finally got started on this new build. First impressions: Extremely detailed written instructions The translation from Russian text needs a little second guessing. Mostly misspelled words. I don't see it as a problem. However read very carefully and go slow. Several gotchas if you miss something. Accompanying photo book is good but doesn't always answer. Laser cutting is amazing. Be careful not to damage adjacent parts. Warning! Write the part number on each part indicating right or left before separating. All these parts require varying degrees of sanding to make fit. Kit includes 3 large C size drawing for rigging and detailsIMG_0407[1].jpg. I love this type of build. More to come.

i found a mix of hand sanding and a small power sander useful.. Pay attention to which side of part has laser burn marks.

IMG_0408[1].jpg
IMG_0409[1].jpg

IMG_0411[1].jpg

IMG_0412[1].jpgIMG_0414[1].jpgIMG_0416[1].jpgIMG_0420[1].jpgIMG_0423[1].jpg

I agree with Alexander, you will have a great time assemble this kit. I will make sure to sneak pick while your build progresses (if you don't mind) :cool:

I agree with Alexander, you will have a great time assemble this kit. I will make sure to sneak pick while your build progresses (if you don't mind) :cool:
Agreed. Popular choice of Master Korabel's kits normally dictates Phoenix or the Avos, but to me the Polotsk has by far the most graceful and clean lines. I will keep a close watch.

Well I'm back on this build. I found an old build log on this ship, but the builder used the photographs instead of following the written instructions. He had to do some deconstruct and rebuild. I like this type of build with precise instructions, however it requires some decision on builder concerning fit and finish. An example would be the two sub assemblies referred to as "conductors". Backing into Russian equivalent indicates the word means "guide". I would say it is a framework to guide the attachment of binder clips and other means of holding parts while glue dries. They are held in place by pegs. Do not glue in place as they must be removed as build progresses. Laser cuts are very precise and require a lot of sanding and filing for good fit. Be sure to bevel as directed using grey etched lines. The plywood is very strong and there is little or no danger of breaking ribs as in other models. Plans recommend using furnished brass nails to hold rough planking and stern parts when gluing. I could not make this work, even with a push tool. I used as you can see push pins. It takes some pressure to get these in the plywood, but works for me. OK. I have seen comment on other site saying this is a good beginner build. Maybe because of extensive written instructions. I am glad I had experience with four other kits.. Enough editorializing.

IMG_0417[1].jpg
IMG_0420[1].jpg
garboard strake. Later attaches to grove boards {Garboard strake ?}-

IMG_0425[1].jpgIMG_0422[1].jpg

IMG_0429[1].jpg

Stern conductor
IMG_0448[1] frame rear.jpg

conductors after removed. I broke bow conductor because I accidently glued it to rib.
IMG_0452[1] frame after removal.jpg
conductors in position
IMG_0434[1].jpg
Using clips and bow conductor
usin bow framworkto mount bulwark.jpg

Bulwarks attached and conductors removed
IMG_0453[1] conductor frame removed.jpg
Keep from gluing parts to rear conductor
IMG_0440[1] tape.jpg
Stern is a challenge. Always try parts for fit before glue. Tremendous use of small files. Manual says don't over grind(sand)
IMG_0441[1].jpg

Rough planking. My cute little plank clamps did not work on this small scale. Push pins for me.
IMG_0461[1] start planking.jpg
That last pending plank is called the adjustment plank. I spent a long time sanding for fit
IMG_0467[1].jpg

Now planking larboard side. more to follow...

Yes, some progress. Hindered by eye issues. First let me say that this is a well engineered kit with high quality materials. My only issues have been the difficulty interpreting some of the directions from Russian to English. Also dealing with micro dimension parts. Difficult to file to fit some parts around 2mm in size. This build , as you will see from pics to follow is no longer as intended I believe this build requires the skills of a watch maker.. I have seen the sister ship Phoenix finished to museum quality so for me age is taking its toll. The things that I have omitted or changed as too difficult
1. Sky light over captains cabin Glue sort of dissolved parts. Carved replacement from soled block
2. Canon carriages
I did build them at a cost of a hour each..Not uniform looked bad.. Went to Amati and bought same scale canon for $1.50 each See picture
3 Ships long boat Tried but could not complete Confusing direction and illustrations Committed worst model sin and bought plastic jolly boat:(

I am preparing to ship masts and bowspirit. Will show when finished. Not looking forward to ratlines and chain plates..

IMG_0505.jpgIMG_0509.jpgIMG_0510.jpgIMG_0515.jpgIMG_0517.jpgIMG_0520.jpgIMG_0521.jpg

2. Canon carriages
I did build them at a cost of a hour each..Not uniform looked bad.. Went to Amati and bought same scale canon for $1.50 each See picture
I think the guns and carriages from the kitt look way better. I do understand, that those small parts require more time to assemble, but at the same time, Amati's barrels are way too small, and carriages are looking oversized. Maybe try using barrels from the kit on Amati's carriages?

Jimsky
I agree that kit canon look more in scale with longer barrel and smaller carriage. However kit carriages were difficult to place rings on the carriages with out damage and the shafts on the barrels for mounting to carriage required significant filing for a good fit. I did place two of kit canon on the model. I think mostly, during health issues and covid exercises, I lost patience. Breaking a cardinal rule of this type of build. There is always a way around these issues if you are patient. Thanks for your helpful comments

your acrriages are looking now much better - well done
related to the capstan, you can take a look at this topic showing several capstans on contemporary drawings

Well, the capstan probably is upside down. I remember being unable to install the pawls and bits because I just could not see to fit correctly. Since my last post I have mounted lower sails to gaffs and masts per instructions and shipped the masts I will not post pics as they are terrible. Started working on rat lines and realized I cannot rig a ship this small any longer.
Thanks for the help and comments. This build is going on the shelf This is a great forum and I will remain a member should I improve my eye sight. Admin, you may remove this log if you wish as I will not be completing it.
Thanks to all

Finally got started on this new build. First impressions: Extremely detailed written instructions The translation from Russian text needs a little second guessing. Mostly misspelled words. I don't see it as a problem. However read very carefully and go slow. Several gotchas if you miss something. Accompanying photo book is good but doesn't always answer. Laser cutting is amazing. Be careful not to damage adjacent parts. Warning! Write the part number on each part indicating right or left before separating. All these parts require varying degrees of sanding to make fit. Kit includes 3 large C size drawing for rigging and detail I love this type of build. More to come.

i found a mix of hand sanding and a small power sander useful.. Pay attention to which side of part has laser burn marks.
Hallo @sideliner
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
BTW: How is your work on the Polotsk going? Any progress?

Finally got started on this new build. First impressions: Extremely detailed written instructions The translation from Russian text needs a little second guessing. Mostly misspelled words. I don't see it as a problem. However read very carefully and go slow. Several gotchas if you miss something. Accompanying photo book is good but doesn't always answer. Laser cutting is amazing. Be careful not to damage adjacent parts. Warning! Write the part number on each part indicating right or left before separating. All these parts require varying degrees of sanding to make fit. Kit includes 3 large C size drawing for rigging and detail I love this type of build. More to come.

Hallo @sideliner
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back