Port Jackson Schooner bulwark question.

IMG_2961.JPG

The instructions for building the bulwark on this model basically says to bend then glue one plank along the deck, careful to not get any glue on the bulkhead horns, bend and glue a second plank on top of the first one, again, careful to not get any glue on the horns, draw a line along the top of the horns, cut the bulwark down to those lines, then cut off the bulkhead horns. I'm sure it works fine but it seems like some fairly awkward cuts to me.

What I was thinking was to first bend and glue the two planks together, lay those along the deck and trace the line across the top of the horns, put the bulwark on a stable work area for cutting and forming. Once the bulwark is cut and shaped to taste, cut off the bulkhead horns and then glue the completed bulwark along the deck.

Can anyone see any potential problems doing it this way?

Thanks

Hi Toleolu.
The original instructions never referred to the tips of the bulkheads as horns. They must have been altered. However the simple way is to cover the bulkheads above the deck with magic tape. You can do as you suggest but I have found it better to do the first plank and then shape the second to the correct height before gluing it. The bulkhead tops can be then simply snapped off with pointy pliers. That part of the deck is covered by the inner bulwark and deck planking.
Keep in mind there is no right or wrong way to make these models. We all use different techniques. The end result is all that matters.
Regards
Allan Tyler.

Thanks Alan;

So far, the instructions with the kit have been very good. The instructions do refer to the parts of the bulkheads that extend above the deck as horns, and there's a photo of someone sawing those "horns" off after the two bulwark planks are glued in place.

The other thing I noticed is that the top plank is completely cut away between bulkhead 2 and 6 so it seems to me instead of gluing a full length plank on top of the bottom plank of the bulwark, and then cutting most of it away, it would be easier to just cut two pieces to the correct length and then trim those.

My scanner is not hooked up right now so I can't show you the parts of the instructions I am referring to but no worries. I've only got 6 planks on the hull right now so I'm a bit away from having do deal with the bulwark, I was just kind of looking ahead.

Thanks again for replying.

Hmmm…kit instructions are only one way to achieve the end result. Feel free to get to that result in any way that works. The only thing I would caution is to be sure you are maintaining proper relationships between parts. This may include length, height, width issues. But your solution should work fine. I often assemble structures off the model when the instructions have me assembling the pieces on the model…the latter being awkward indeed.

Back