Having tired of building ship models, I decided to build a Pot Belly Stove, circa 1898. Scale two feet to one inch.
It has a flickering red LED inside, connected via front feet. It looks quite good when connected up..
I have now progressed with the cabin. It has been more tedious than I thought. The logs are dowels and the rough bark is added to each by gluing silver crepe paper round them (silver to the outside). Each log has to be notched at the ends to engage with the lower and upper ones. After it is complete, it will be painted with acrylic Burnt Umber (Dark brown), then wiped slightly so bits of the silver show through. Tests have shown that this makes a very realistic looking rough log. The floor will be planked, and the inside of the cabin fitted with more rough furniture. I have made the tiny oil lamp for a table and it is lit with a small yellow light emitting diode inside it. The back of the cabin is absent. Viewed from the front, there will be a lot of drifted snow. Looking in the back, it should show a cosy interior lit with the yellow oil lamp and flickering pot belly stove. Note the winchester rifle and the axe propped against the door frame. This afternoon, I have completed most of the front and one side. The bare dowels in the photograph have not yet had their "bark" glued on. It has been a welcome change from ships, but has attracted just about the same amount of interest - virtually none! :sad:
Hi Bob, looks like it will turn out into a great diorama. What scale would it be (1:72 or larger?) Did you make the rifle?
What about the extras that usually hang on the walls of a cabin, moose and bear heads, furs etc. maybe even a model T or A Ford (too modern) outside. Do you intend putting any up? Thinking of the Beverly Hillbillies.
Did you notch the logs by hand or do hem on a (mini) lathe?
I look forward to seeing more photos. :text-lol:
It is all the same as the stove, two feet to one inch. Yes, I made the rifle and the axe. The oil lamp is also complete. There will be a bunk, table, chair, probably a cooking pan, maybe snowshoes, maybe bearskin rug, chopped wood etc etc. I used the lathe for the notches but had to trim some of them with a scalpel to make them a better fit. The window is three mm acryclic, scored and with water paint rubbed in the scores.
Bob, please don't give up. This post has more views than my New Jersey post. This is your hobby it gives you something to do and keeps your mind active, so please do not be discouraged. There may be hardly any comments but there sure are a lot of people looking at your pictures.