Novice builds Artesania Bounty 1/48

The outward-facing surface of the hull frames for my Bounty model are naturally all parallel to the false keel. So if the planks were simply glued to these surfaces, there would be very few frames where the planks make full contact with the face of the frame. Is it common practice to sand/shape those outer surfaces so they essentially follow the contours of the hull and therefore offer more surface area where the planks are glued to them?
Cheers, Phil (newbie)

Last edited:
Yes, standard practice, especially at the bow and stern.

The attached Simple Hull Planking Techniques is a valuable resource. I've read through this several times as well as watched a number of How-To videos. I'm getting ready to do the first planking on the Polaris once I complete the bow and stern bulkhead blocks. There is an excellent thread here in SoS called Basic Training with more good information.

Attachments

• Planking Project.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 252
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes--the more you sand the easier the planking will be. I'm not familiar with the Bounty kit, but it might be a good idea to shape some blocks at the bow where the plank bend is extreme--that will give more surface area for the plank to sit and for more glue. Good luck!

The attached Simple Hull Planking Techniques is a valuable resource. I've read through this several times as well as watched a number of How-To videos. I'm getting ready to do the first planking on the Polaris once I complete the bow and stern bulkhead blocks. There is an excellent thread here in SoS called Basic Training with more good information.
Excellent guide! Thank you…

To kick things off I am making a jig to hold the keel in place while I glue in the hull frames. I used the “other side” of the keel ply (the board from which the keel was cut) as the shape to precisely support the keel. I have yet to construct the brace that will ensure the frames are fitted square and level.

IMG_2261.jpeg

IMG_2262.jpeg

Nice start. Jigs are good.
Square is good.
Looks like your workbench is too clean. Or is it the kitchen bench
Great idea to use the ply sheet excess.

Phil you might want to rename this thread to something related to your build of the Bounty. Having a named build log of your ship is helpful for you to document your build and learnings, and it is nice to go back and reflect on after months and years of effort. It also encourages others to follow along and provide advice and encouragement.
What Bounty kit are you building?
Using filler blocks, often with balsa wood, between the stem and stern bulkheads is very helpful to get good contact with the first planking layer, especially after fairing (sanding) the ends of the bulkheads to get an even contour.
The Bounty has a very rounded (bluff) bow and is very challenging.
Michael

Yes, agree. I am a complete novice and this is my first model ship. It is the Artesania Latina 1/48 kit.
I know it is ambitious but I always do a lot of research before taking action. This website is priceless!
My journey with this build might be of interest to others, so I will take your advice. If this thread becomes a “log” does anything else have to be done so that it sits in the right category?
Regards, Phil

Good plan leaving the bottom edge of the false keel attached to its plywood sheet. I have often done similar but with less foresight so I have had to re-attach the cut out piece. I endorse the suggestion by Thomas and Chestcutter to fit bow blocks. Lime wood is good: easy to shape and firmer than balsa. Or perhaps you would use eucalyptus down there?

Thank you for the Planking PDF. I printed it and have been reading it. I am ready for that stage on my Amati Bluenose 1:00 model.

Yes, agree. I am a complete novice and this is my first model ship. It is the Artesania Latina 1/48 kit.
I know it is ambitious but I always do a lot of research before taking action. This website is priceless!
My journey with this build might be of interest to others, so I will take your advice. If this thread becomes a “log” does anything else have to be done so that it sits in the right category?
Regards, Phil
Ask one of the forum moderators to assist with renaming and moving the thread to be a build log for your AL Bounty 1:48.

Regards, Phil
If you want I can move the topic to the building log area and also edit your topic title...... or you just start a new topic there and you can create by yourself the first and also all coming posts

Yes please. Thank you Uwe. I would prefer to have this thread moved. As for a new name, how about "Novice builds Artesania Bounty 1/48"?
Regards, Phil

Ok, thanks Uwe. Looks like I am ready to go. :)

I am still fiddling around with the home-made jig to ensure the frames are glued vertical and level. I am paranoid about making sure this is done correctly, as advised on many posts. The jig is turning out fine, and looks like it will cost me about $50AUD (about $35USD). It will only be useful for the frame alignment, and I might try to adapt it to assist in holding the model while it is planked. More photos of the jig coming soon.

What I have learned so far....
1) Read the supplied instructions and study the assembly photos BEFORE DOING ANYTHING.
2) Number all parts as they are broken/cut out.
3) Study other people's logs of the same build.

Back