Projects lined up including resin

Well I think I may be nuts but I just dropped a fortune on a resin 1/350 Normandie ocean liner with photo etch and wood decks. It's the last one available from a limited run. It's resin which I know nothing about so I have some investigating to do. I have a 1/350 Lusitania I'm about to start, followed by a 1/200 Titanic with all the detail kits, and finally the Normandie. I think I won't have to buy another model for a very long time.

I'm going to try to make my own wood decks for the Lusitania and remove the molded on railings and replace with photo etch. For me they all seem like complicated projects. I will be busy for the foreseeable future. The resin is a little intimidating, I'll probably have to buy another basic resin model and build it before I attempt the Normandie just to see what it's about.

I plan on posting a lot of photos and comments on them as I did with my first Titanic build. Hopefully I'm not inundating you all with my posts lol.

Resin really isn't all that difficult to deal with. That being said - the trouble I have run into when building resin kits is the amount of sanding/shaping that needs to be done to get the parts to fit together properly. It can be a bit tedious at times, and you have to stop often to check the fit, but the same can be said of building almost any model. Staying true to scale is important and if you take off too much material it can ruin an otherwise nice model. Don't be afraid of it - just cautious when working. Looking forward to your build log of it.

One word of caution with resin, when you are cutting or sanding make sure to wear a mask. The fines that come off of it are very harmful to your lungs. Also looking forward to following your progress!

Back