Proper position of yards on HMS Victory

I'm confused. In Mantua's 738 HMS Victory instructions, one set of drawings show the upper two yards on all masts in a lower position but on the sail drawing, it shows them high. I plan on displaying the sails furled. Should the yard be high or low?

20200723_151203_resized.jpg 20200723_151238_resized.jpg 20200723_145256.jpg

OK, from what I have learned about upper mast yards (those above the mail lower yard)

If sails are attached even if furled for high winds, the yards are hauled up high.

If sails are off as when in port for long term the yards are lowered.

I have see a few where furled sails are on lowered masts, but normally that is seen as step just before removing sails from yards.

Others may have more precise explanation, but this is what I have learned when I asked a similar question a month ago.

Sorry Kurt, but I think it is not completely correct, what you mentioned.
If the ship was in harbor and the sails are furled completely, than the yards were lowered down.
also and especially for the situation when heavy wind is expected - with this the handling is easier and the center of gravity is lower, so less movements of the ship.
The only exception is the lower yard, which will stay where it is (only during heavy weather the lowered it also - see second photo)
yards.JPG

IMG_00291.jpg

Furling the main top sail at Hermione

stop at 0:46 of the video - arriving at harbour

and also here -

This is an old post but I was searching for info on where the yards were when the sails were furled so I thought I would put my question here. On figure 2 in Uwe's post it shows the topsail and royal yards as being right down on the top below but the topgallant yard only seems to be about halfway down to the top. Is there a reason for this or is just an artists thing?

Back