Providence Whaleboat 1:25 Artesanía Latina

Hello, my name is Bramo, I introduced myself some time ago on the introductions board. I'm new to the hobby and I've been keen to start making something for some time. I decided to go with a suggestion from many months ago to start with something simple, so I've chosen this Whaleboat model. My aim is to build it in the evenings and the odd weekend in and around work. I've just started a new job so we'll see how much free time I have for this little project! I have some limited prior experience building models, but never wood kits. I thought it would be useful to document my progress here so that I might get a bit of feedback and help for my first model.

Any help or suggestions during this build would be gratefully recieved.

Bramo

20210410_154014 (2).jpg

So I've started to assemble the ribs of the boat onto the keel. I have been careful to use a set square to keep the ribs at 90 deg angles. However, I've noticed that the tops of the ribs aren't level, but the bottom of the ribs are level, I'm assuming this is normal? Secondly I've noticed a potential issue. In the picture below I tried to show the alignment of the ribs looking face on at the prow. Part no2 looks misaligned, not sure if this is because I've bent the keel a bit or it just doesn't fit very well. I'm guessing this can be sanded down to correct?

20210410_192258.jpg20210410_192245.jpg

Good luck with your first build.
If you decide you like the subject it is well worth while spending a few more quid and tackling the Amati whaleboat which is a very interesting build and makes up into a fantastically detailed model. I built one and gave it away and I couldn't resist building another one.
I love large scale open boat models.

So I've started to assemble the ribs of the boat onto the keel. I have been careful to use a set square to keep the ribs at 90 deg angles. However, I've noticed that the tops of the ribs aren't level, but the bottom of the ribs are level, I'm assuming this is normal? Secondly I've noticed a potential issue. In the picture below I tried to show the alignment of the ribs looking face on at the prow. Part no2 looks misaligned, not sure if this is because I've bent the keel a bit or it just doesn't fit very well. I'm guessing this can be sanded down to correct?

View attachment 226310View attachment 226311

I think you will find that the ribs will align as you add the gunwales and planking. It's hard to see the amount of misalignment you mention but it doesn't seem that much.

Hallo @Bramo
very good and many thanks, that you started this building log - we will try to assist and help as much as possible

Back