PT 109 1/72 scale new mold from Revell Germany

I bought this kit a few months ago along with a 1/48 scale PT 109 from Merit models around the same time. The new 1/72 scale PT 109 is a totally new mold from Revell Germany and it has corrected the mistakes from the old Revell PT 109 from the 1960s. It can be built as the 109 shortly after delivery to the Navy or as the 109 commanded by Ltjg John Kennedy in August of 1943 with the heavy machine gun on the fore deck instead of the life raft. It includes a detailed bridge and cabin just behind the bridge although the detail in the cabin can't be seen unless the roof is left off. All the detail on this model is well depicted as is typical with recent Revell models. However, they still didn't get the toe rail from the bow back to a point abreast of the front of the forward cabin right along with the bow light, Since I now own a 3D printing machine I was able to create a better representation of these railings. Also, unlike the original kit, this model has no deck planking, just a smooth deck. There are no figures to represent the crew included with the kit. It does have a clear windscreen on the bridge and clear parts for the windows on the aft cabin. Since I have started on the model I can report that the hull and deck fit together well. I intend to start a build log after I start working on the model again. All in all I'd say it is well worth the few extra dollars it costs compared to what most people are asking for the original kit from the 1960s.

It will be very intersting to follow as I have my eye on the Italieri Elco 1/35 PT boat Atlantic or Pacific theatre, or one of the 2 Schnellboot also 1/35 I have see them build wonderfull model they also do have a PT109 1/35 but the PT that really tick me is the Elco 1/4scale from BluJaclet. I like a lots the line and story behind those boat
Your model is 1/48 or 1/72?

Did they get the curvature of the deck correct? It’s completely flat in the big Italeri kit. There is some curve in the Merit kit, but I wasn’t sure if it is sufficient

The deck should be slightly convex along its length from the bow to the start of the main cabin, and slightly concave towards the stern. There are discussions about this in various website builds. One easy way to check is to place the hull part upside-down on a flat surface. If it makes contact from front to back, it needs correcting.

Yes, Please post pics of parts. There are no Hobby shops left in Philadelphia so I have no way to see the parts unless I go to NJ, the closest place with an actual Hobby Shop.

I will be an avid subscriber to your PT-109. The new details on the kit make it an enticing model to buy even if you have built the original Revell version.
Thanks for adding this to the Forum.

Nino.

P.S. I would really love to see an Elco 77 footer in 1/72. A PT-41 would be a great model to add to any collection.

I've been busy the last couple of days but I will assemble a set of images of the new PT 109 kit on Sunday even though I have started on it. I would like to see the return of a Higgen's PT boat sometime soon. I seem to remember that Revell did a Higgen's boat way back a long time ago.

Thanks Bob.
I'll be especially interested to see how the .50cal's and 20mm guns look. I hope the 50's are a new mold. I don't have a good source for replacement machine guns.
Revell has also released a "Gunboat" version based on this new PT-109 model as PT-579. Seems it is back-ordered everywhere I shop.

A Higgins in 1/72 would be great too. That Revell kit had a several major deck details wrong but it was still great to have a model of that 78foot PT even if a smaller scale.

Thanks.

Jim.

P.S. I alerted one of my very good friends ,a superb even if "Ancient Modeler". He just got the new PT-109 kit too. Currently he's deep into a old 1/144 USS Monitor kit but, when that is complete, I bet he jumps right into his PT boat once he sees your 'Thread".

Last edited:
Back