Query to builders of the Shicheng Le Requin

Interested to hear whether you faired individual frames as you added them or after frame was complete. I have some challenging builds under my belt (Amati Vangauard, Corel Wappen, among others) but this is my first crack at POF.

thanks in advance for any advice

Hi there,
I built that kit about 5 years ago. I did remove some laser char before assembling the frames, but I faired the hull after gluing the frames in place.

I am making it different than Brian, because I am mostly fairing the frames as much as possible before assembling on the keel.
But the fairing of one complete frame and not the individual parts of a frame!
The work is much easier in this way.

Also you have to check, if some fairing is already necessary so that you are able to put the frames into the jig - here often some fairing is already necessary.

But you should know and get a feeling how accurate are these laser marks on the frames showing the fairing lines.
I know f.e. that the laser marks from CAF are very accurate, so with the knowledge of your own accuracy putting the frame parts together into a single frame you can fair the frames already with only some small amount of meat.
Final fairing when the hull is finished and fixed.

Here an example of a section model with some fairing at the fore frames direction to bow

my actual project, where I am in moment prepare (and fair) all the frames for the installation on the keel

I actually did very little faring of the frames. I left most of the hull planking off showing the frames. Only did bulwarks level planking. Any faring needed I did after all the frames were set. This photo shows a bit of the lower hull without planking.

5D47FDB1-BDDA-448E-BE60-FE8918C0FAFE.jpeg

Hi, I found fairing the outer hull very easy given the restraint of the jig/crib and the extremely well done laser etch of each frame component. Almost to the stern. The crib also facilitates fairing the inner hull. I can't believe how well this kit it engineered. The laser cutting leaves very little burn or hard points to cut out. Even the waste of wood seems reduced to the minima on each sheet. I think it will be a long time before this is replicated.

Back