Question about wood choices

Is Western Red Cedar a good choice of wood for building a 1/16 scale model of a 16' long skiff? When I finish my deck, I will have lots of scraps from 1" thick boards that are 5 1/2" wide. I also have pine, oak, poplar, and a few others, I'm just curious about the Cedar bc it looks & smells so good and cuts beautifully.
Thanks in advance for any comments.
Steven

It would be fine if you select pieces with no obvious wood grain in it. Heavy grained timber looks out of scale on a model.
Oh, better check to ensure the colour is uniform from each piece of wood you are using.

Is Western Red Cedar a good choice of wood for building a 1/16 scale model of a 16' long skiff? When I finish my deck, I will have lots of scraps from 1" thick boards that are 5 1/2" wide. I also have pine, oak, poplar, and a few others, I'm just curious about the Cedar bc it looks & smells so good and cuts beautifully.
Thanks in advance for any comments.
Steven

I am a little confused about the scale of 1/16 if you are referring to 1/16 inch = 1 foot the model is only 1 inch long that is tiny

or are you using architectural scale which is 1:16 which is 3/4 inch = 1 foot

Last edited:
at 1/16 the model would be 1 inch long

at 1:16 the model would be 6 inches long

so the Cedar would work just fine for the 6 inch model. I have used it myself many times, it's a really nice wood to work with

at 1:16 it seems like it should be 12 inches long.

your right the model at 1:16 would be 12 inches long and not 6 inches

what we need on the forum is a scale conversion chart with so many international members and everyone using different scale measurements. it is difficult to suggest wood or anything when your not sure what the scale is 1/16 is not the same as 1:16

scale.JPG

your right the model at 1:16 would be 12 inches long and not 6 inches

what we need on the forum is a scale conversion chart with so many international members and everyone using different scale measurements. it is difficult to suggest wood or anything when your not sure what the scale is 1/16 is not the same as 1:16

View attachment 148055
It would be much easier to abolish imperial and keep only metric ,much more accurate Lol

Thanks for all the kind responses. I had to check my sizes to be sure I have them right. The skiff will be at a scale of 1" equals 16 inches of the real boat. I won't build it until I finish the Donald David lobster boat model that is currently on hold until I finish a number of household/yard projects, the biggest (longest time) one is replacing the deck flooring & railings.
I will probably use plans from Harold "Dynbamite" Pason's book "The Dory Model Book." Starting on pg 40 which is titled "The 12-foot Friendship Dory-Skiff." I mistakenly thought it was a model of a 17' Skiff, but it looks suitable to represent a lobsterman's tender to get himself to & from his lobster boat mooring. I will probably adjust my scaling if the magazine plans to get the model to be properly sized for the Donald David lobster boat which is at a scale of 1" = 16" and the original boat is 34' long. The Skiff used with original Donal David was 17' long, a little longer than most of the tenders usually used by lobstermen, but the Donald David was the biggest & fastest boat iun the bay in 1956 when it was launched.
Again, thanks for all the kind words/ideas. The only reason this came to me now is because of all the scraps of Western Red Cedar I will have from the deck flooring.
Happy Modeling!!
Steven

Back