QUESTION regarding HMS Fly Forecastle Bulkhead and David Antscherl

I have been advised to refer to books by David Antscherl to determine the Forecastle Bulkhead arrangement on HMS Fly. I have purchased "The Fully Framed Model, HMN Swan Class Sloops 1767 - 1780", but regretfully it is currently lost in transient to me!

Does any member posses this book, and could advise if the Forecastle Bulkhead is mentioned?

THANK YOU!

Volume II Chapter 8 Page 89
8.34 The Forecastle Bulkhead.
This is another item that is not well defined on the NMM Plans....
... what do you want to know ??

Volume II Chapter 8 Page 89
8.34 The Forecastle Bulkhead.
This is another item that is not well defined on the NMM Plans....
... what do you want to know ??

Thank you for replying Sarge,

In my HMS Fly build I constructed the Forecastle Bulkhead based on the original Admiralty plans which I saw at the National Maritime Museum, London, which is attached below.

Is there an explanation as to how the Anchor rope would have been fastened to the 'Fore Riding Bitts Cross Beam', and what would have happened to the Forecastle Bulkhead whilst the Fly was at anchor?

Would it have just been 'swung up' inwards and fastened to the deck beam, or would it have been temporarily removed'.

Any insight would be very much appreciated.

Thank you - Lloyd

Figure T1.jpg

Lloyd.
There is no suggestions in the book about seamanship. It does has you rightly say fold up on a hinge from the deckhead above. It also makes reference to there being two cutout sections where it goes over the riding bitts.
With regards to it being in place whilst the anchor is worked, I thought it being in place and swung up would hinder the return of the messenger cables making their return to the manger rolls ready to be used again.

Last edited:

Lloyd.
There is no suggestions in the book about seamanship. It does has you rightly say fold up on a hinge from the deckhead above. It also makes reference to there being two cutout sections where it goes over the riding bitts.
With regards to it being in place whilst the anchor is worked, I thought it being in place and swung up would hinder the return of the messenger cables making their return to the manger rolls ready to be used again.
Sarge, Thank you for the information; yes, I had to make two pieces which fitted over the Riding Bitts. I wonder if I may ask three questions: -

Question 1 - Would I be correct in assuming the 'messenger' rope would have been stored in the space just forward of the fore mast in the Forecastle?

Question 2 - The main anchor rope, would it have been stored by passing down the hatch just fore of the Capstan?

Question 3 - When at sea, the anchors would be lashed port and starboard at the bow, but the rope from the anchor would this be stored with the messenger rope ready to be fixed to the main anchor rope when it is brought up from the hold?

I have found a video of the anchor rope being worked on HMS Victory.

Lloyd

Lloyd.
Sorry for delay in reply...I've been working between research...
1. There is no difinitive in either Brian Lavery's Arming and Fitting or Darcy Lever's 'YSO Sheet Anchor. My own thoughts are it would have been unshipped and stored below decks with the main cables.
2. Yes you're correct here. It would have gone down into the main hold and been stored on top of the barrels. In bigger 1st Rate ships it would have gone down onto the Cable Tier which was a seperate deck level above the Orlop Deck (which 6th rates didn't
have).
3. Lavery suggests they would be rigged at the same time and an amount of cable laid out on deck ready to drop anchor. The inboard end would then be secured via the riding bitts and made fast to a number of stoppers.

I'll dig out some old photos of my HMS Diana which has her anchors on the fish davit in process of being hauled in. They are on an old hard drive in the attic...
Sarge.

Lloyd.
Sorry for delay in reply...I've been working between research...
1. There is no difinitive in either Brian Lavery's Arming and Fitting or Darcy Lever's 'YSO Sheet Anchor. My own thoughts are it would have been unshipped and stored below decks with the main cables.
2. Yes you're correct here. It would have gone down into the main hold and been stored on top of the barrels. In bigger 1st Rate ships it would have gone down onto the Cable Tier which was a seperate deck level above the Orlop Deck (which 6th rates didn't
have).
3. Lavery suggests they would be rigged at the same time and an amount of cable laid out on deck ready to drop anchor. The inboard end would then be secured via the riding bitts and made fast to a number of stoppers.

I'll dig out some old photos of my HMS Diana which has her anchors on the fish davit in process of being hauled in. They are on an old hard drive in the attic...
Sarge.
Sarge,

Thank you for the information you have supplied, it is very interesting. I have discovered there is seldom a definite answer to these questions. As I am constructing my HMS Fly, I find it so interesting the historical data one learns in the process of building the model.

Currently I am resolving how to complete the hull planking; during researching the hull plank lengths for HMS Fly I came across the planking expansion plan for HMS Hawke (1793). It is so interesting to read how they were experimenting with the wood for the planks, to see which were found to be rotten.

Currently I am working on a ‘virtual’ hull planking (Adobe Photoshop), just so I can determine where the butts are going to be, especially around the Gun Ports.

Lloyd