Question, which kit ???

Tony P

Staff member
Le Rochefort Moderator

I have poured over ship kits since Sept last year, like everyone I'm sure, I want them all. Never did buy one though. Since my Sci Fi build is nearing an end now just may be the time. I dont mind starting with a simpler kit and even am looking at solid hulls. I had the Bounty's Launch all set to buy last year but have been in the situation where a model just didnt peak my interest and I dont like to build that way. I love Bluejackets Lackawanna Tug thats solid hull but not cheap thats for sure. AL's Sanson is POB and can get it for 150.00. Love Billings boats also looking at them. Im not against building a sailing vessel I like Model Shipways Glad Tidings AL's Mare Nostrum and also Bluejackets Were Here, love that movie !! Several other sailing ships are on my short list too. I do really lean towards a powered vessel though. Just venting outloud here, so much to choose from its overwhelming.

Tony

The following link takes you to a site that rates the skill level required to build ships from different manufactures:
http://site.nature-crafts.com/skill_level.htm
This site has many different manufactures of all sorts of vessels:
http://www.agesofsail.com/ecommerce/

Hey Tony,
You are correct - the list is overwhelming of the ships out there. I am sure that with your experience that you would not have a problem. Working with wood is another medium and another world.

I am sure that you are aware that with wooden kits, you are given a set of plans that can be about 24" x 36" or larger and depending on the size of the kit can be 8 to 10 pages alone. Then you have the manual which in "some" cases are lacking.

You can give two people the same ship and both will turn out with their own personalities. So, what does this have to do with anything.

i guess I am getting at is like you say the size. My first (really first) wooden boat was the Bluenose II and it still sits in the corner incomplete. I just do not have any desire for it - I think mainly is the reason I do not like that style. That was a very long time ago.
What got to me was all those Scuppers (openings along the deck to keep water out) that I had to drill out. Too much repetition for me back then. Every time I think about scuppers, I cringe.

Then I built a couple of plastic Jolly Roger and Captain Kidd to get a more feel of a sailing ship.

Then I went back and got up enough nerve to go with wood again - I was concerned about my lack of tools. So, I got the Model Shipways Sultana and actually started a Group Build with that a long time ago.

it took me exactly a year to make it. Then I really jumped off the big end and bought the Trinidad by OcCre and have had my hands full for about 4 1/2 years. I think I might have it completed by this time next year.

So, again - what does this have to do with anything. Well, it has to do with a starting point that will not wear you out. I do not think you want a ship / boat that will be so simple that it will not be a challenge, nor do you want something that when you take the lid off you will feel lightheaded !!!

I would steer away from the Mini-Mamoli - I personally do not have anything against them, but of what I can tell by the so called box art and some peoples reports, they are so small, that you do not get to enjoy the scale of it all. Everything becomes "representative"

However - I always say this and can't believe that I am saying this, but actually the larger the ship is, the easier it is to "build" !!! now, I did not say, it is easier as far as complexity. I am saying that the components of the ship are much larger that you have a more meaningful scale. The Armament has detail to it with rigging, etc. Where you actually build each cannon. Instead of having a one piece cannon stamped out of metal that has the "appearance" of a canon.

I can say that OcCre Trinidad did NOT go into a lot of trouble giving me their cannons because they are not good at all in the respect that they are not at all scale like. Which brings me almost to the end and that is to say that ALL wooden kits have "short comings" about them. None are perfect, but leave a lot of room for your imagination to go to work at.

So, all in all, I might as well give you MHO and maybe you can look at the Model Shipways Phantom. You said something about a powered boat. Well, I also built the Midwest Boothbay Lobster boat. I also put a motor in it - R/C the whole thing.

As a matter of fact, you can go to my main SOS website and take a look because I have a couple of videos on that Lobster boat in action and also two sailboats in action.
http://www.shipsofscale.com/videos

All in all, I think that I would stick with a "solid hull" ship first - fun to build - has a little rigging - take about 6 to 8 months to build or less depending. Then you should be able to tell from that experience what you like and what you don't.

If you choose the Model Shipways Sultana, I already have a build log on that one.
http://www.shipsofscale.com/Sultana/SCS01.html

However, there is one thing to consider. If you do get the Sultana or the Phantom, the box is going to be modest and when you open it you might think to yourself - Hummm -- is this all that is in this box !!!

But, you will soon see that there is more than meets the eye !!!

Good luck with your decisions.

The price of the kit is going to tell you a lot about the diffiiculty. Those under $70.00 retail may be a simplistic representation. If a ship is offered by several companies, like the Cutty Sark, I would wait until your skill level gets to the level of the highest priced one before you build it. The difference in quality of materials and accurracy can be amazing.

Gary and Sjors are both correct as well. The bottom line is that it is true, you can certain buy - order - and build anything your hearts desire. However, the key point that I was attempting was being overwhelmed or discouraged because of a kit being too many parts, pieces, and a large commitment to time. Not everyone has the same drive and the time to commit to larger projects. On the other hand, like Sjors and Anja do not let this stand in their way.

It just all comes down to what you want to do. We are all just here to help. I do not want to see anyone fail or become discouraged and to put their kit off to the side.

It is a hobby that all of us love and look forward to. I think it is a great hobby - I think it is more than just a hobby. It is an "art" and it is an "artisan-ship". It is "being" a craftsman. It is sharing our "craftsmanship" with each other. This is what it is all about. It is being creative !

Well put Donnie. I understand that about 40 percent of the ships purchased are not built. I believe there are two reasons for this.
One is that a person sees a ship like the Soverign of the Sea and says that is beautiful. I want to build this one. They may have built some plastic models and think this can not be that hard. When they get it, they are overwhelmed. The more advanced the kits, The less instructions there are and thus the person has no help there. Also, the longer the build time.
The second is that they buy something that looks interesting and when they get it, life has got in the way and it gets stuck in the closet for when they will have more time.
I agree with everyone that this is a tremendous hobby. You are creating something that is beautiful and gives you a tremendous feeling of accomplishment and can be appreciated by everyone and enjoyed for years. And when you think of it, it is the cheapest entertainment on the planet.

Yes I do understand not to bite off more than I can chew. I see what goes into these builds. I am a modeler though and have worked with wood before. To be honest I think alot of models go unbuild because the person buying it has never modeled, or worked in wood or put anything together with their hands. JMO of course but I have seen it. I dont mind the longer build time as I have spent close to a year on plastic builds in the past. I agree I think with the larger scale being easier to buidl when fisrt starting out, also I build tiny now in plastic getting tired of micro parts really. The Sultana and Phantom are on my list also, sometimes I think every kit I see is on my list though ! No,,, I have it narrowed down to about 5 kits now, the biggest decision I have is sail or power, and price. I think I am willing to go up to 200.00 though. Also I need to really like the vessel I am working on or itll be one of those builds that I just want "over" and thats no fun.

Tony

Well, Tony - you certainly have my attention as to what you decide - I think we are all eager to see your choice. Keep us up to date !!! :)

If you are worried about price try Ebay . I got the Corel kit Endevour in New codition for $125 on there . Check Phils Hobby Shop also for some good buys . And As always Model Expo is always having huge discounted sales . you can check them out at Model Expo.com . What every you decide you will have a lot of people on here ready and willing to help . I am building my second wood kit and it is a Difficult one butso far so good . Look around until you find one you like and is in your price range sometimes you have to be patient but soon you will be building . And be prepared for all the tools you will need to purchase . I Started off with just a small tool kit and have managed to get a power table saw now . So consider that when buying . Some models have to be cut out . Others are mostly pre cut . Corel is the one I have found to have the best Over all cut out parts but many other kits also are excellent .Try the Model Expo Long Boat for around $60 it's a true plank on frame and good starter . Don't jump on the first item you find . Check out You Tube it has many Video's of ship kit builds and Also Use image searchs on Google . Good Luck ! Can't wait to see your build log.

Hi mate
Have you looked at modelers central as they have beginners kits
I chose the amati adventure with heaps of tools in the deal
Cheers snowy 20190324_171746.jpg

Back