Question

Senorbob:
Sorry I can't provide any input on that kit. But please don't apologize for selecting a boat without sails. This is a no judgement zone. The Wescott is a fine vessel with an interesting story. Have fun building the kit and consider sharing a build log with us.
Fair winds!

Its OK Senorbob. We all have our moments of weakness. ROTF
Sorry, I can't help with that either.
Corsair, funny. Is there any provision on this forum for private messaging? It would be nice to have a small group of modelers somewhere in this area. To me it’s a white knuckle drive to the tampa group in st. Pete

Corsair, funny. Is there any provision on this forum for private messaging? It would be nice to have a small group of modelers somewhere in this area. To me it’s a white knuckle drive to the tampa group in st. Pete
Yes, there is a method to send private messages. In the top bar by where it lists your profile name, you will see an icon that looks like an envelope. Click on it and it will provide you with a list of messages you have (if any) and at the bottom of the menu is a link to "Start a new conversation".
Yes, I understand about the "white knuckle drive". Larry (a friend who is also on these forums) and I left to go to the meeting yesterday at 8:30 AM for the 10:30 meeting. We went down the Suncoast Parkway, so the trip wasn't too bad. :) You are certainly welcome to join us next month. The meetings are on the 4th Tuesday at 10:30 AM and then many of us walk over to a restaurant to have lunch. We get back to my place at about 2 PM.

Last edited:
Senorbob, the Westcot should be a fun kit to build. Because of her history and the work she performs for the Great Lakes ships in transit along the Detroit river there are numerous photos of her which could provide all kinds of details for a great looking model. I would recommend taking your build one step further and make her RC. There is nothing more relaxing than sitting at the edge of a pond while operating your own vessel with a bottle of your favourite beverage in hand.

Senorbob,

I just finished the Nauticourso "Bem Te Ve" fishing trawler. While it is a static model rather than RC, it is still a Nauticourso. I took a few minutes to watch the YT video that zzyzx01 sent to you in a prior message.

There are several rather interesting items about my model and the one you are doing. Although the Westcott is a work boat, both models appear to be constructed quite similarly (except for the RC provision). In addition, the deck structures and some deck furniture also appear similar. Probably a coincidence - if you believe in coincidences - and, therefore, it leads me to believe that you will also have a good build, as I did.

The instruction book supplied by Nauticourso is very good; however, you do have to read the instructions and look carefully at the module pictures. They do leave out a few important details that might require more research. For instance, there is no guidance on spacing beginning of planking; however, since the entire hull will be painted and waterproofed, you will most likely have a good coat (or two) of plastic wood to smooth out any irregularities and fill in planking pin holes.

Bottom line (as see that I am starting to ramble on...) if there is a bar code or a QR code on the page(s) where they discuss planking. Use the URL to pull up a site with many pictures of the build progress. I found that those photos were invaluable in both the planking and decking, but also in determining some of the color scheme for painting.

FWIW, here is attached a picture of my completed model.

Good luck and enjoy!!

20240330_124917c.jpg

Back