Rabbet issues

I tend to agree with Zoly! The second planking is thin, and abuts keel at a decent angle. Use an X-Acto and sanding stick to refine the joint between the keel and the first planking and just butt to second planking against the keel.

Are you meaning the keel itself or the stem rabbet ? The stem is where I’m concerned. The keel and second garboard will be ok I’m hoping.

Last edited by a moderator:
My apologies! I wasn't precise in my terminology! I meant "stem:. Take a little time with a blade and sanding sticks to get the junction between the stem and first planking smooth and even. Patch with filler if necessary. Then go ahead and carefully fit the trimmed second planking strips so they but up against the stem with no spaces showing. The thin second planking strips are very flexible!

Ok yes agreed. I’ll fill and perfect the areas where the first layer goes into the stem. I don’t want to paint this hull so the second layer has to be perfect. It’s not going to be easy to get the second layer to butt just right but I’ll try. Once it’s all filled if I have to I can cut another rabbet into the stem. Thanks

You should do an official build log. What vessel is the model?
He has a build log

I was going to use styrene for the stove but wood was easier. I had a few pics of stoves and estimated the size. Yes once its black itll be fine, cant see it anyway once its under the foredeck.

Back