Ragusian Carrack XVI c (MarisStella) - Scale 1:59 [COMPLETED BUILD]

.​
Very interesting, but not great timing. The video does explain why Olha did not include the boomkin. As I am adding the bonaventure mast, hopefully the boomkin I'll be including will now have a purpose.

But then it does kind of invalidate the design and building of the model, with so much of the design being wrong. Making the result more of a decoration than a "scale model". I had been given the impression that the design of this model was based on extensive research and information, but apparently not. If this were the first post & video to appear in this series, I doubt I or others would build this model.

On the other hand, the changes and errors I have made in my build would appear to make the model no less authentic, and I guess I should no longer worry about trying to make the model "accurate" or "authentic", agonizing over correct rigging, with the correct guns and other details. Hopefully, my "decoration" will be pleasing once it's done. :(

What can be added...? There are already so many masterfully made models by master modellers, based on virtually historically worthless modeller's plans. But I don't know if that's any consolation...

Maybe this: such models even win medals at modelling championships, but only thanks to workmanship, because what counts there is only compliance with the documentation, i.e. the modelling plans. Whether this is the correct criterion is another matter, as it leads to absurd situations, e.g. a model made or corrected according to reliable, state-of-the-art knowledge must, according to the scoring system, lose to a model slavishly made according to an old, naive plan full of anachronisms. Quite funny. :)

Last edited:
So good! I learnt a lot from your build so thank you for your great videos. I wish I could find 3000 minutes to work on my model at the moment!

Back