Ratlines HMS Victory

Hi guys
I am currently building victory model by mamoli and need some advise on lower shroud ratlines. I have fixed the futtock stave and was wondering whether the top part of the shrouds beyond the staves should also have ratlines. Photo attached. Most photos of models show them without ratlines but i m not sure whether this is correct. Thanks for yr help.
Regards
David

Attachments

• 20200715_231055.jpg
    20200715_231055.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 50
Thanks Paul. Unfortunately the photos do not show a clear view of the area which is questionable. However judging from the book you mentioned, which all provide the same answer, i am assuming that ratlines shld go all the way up. Thnks for yr help.

Hi guys
I am currently building victory model by mamoli and need some advise on lower shroud ratlines. I have fixed the futtock stave and was wondering whether the top part of the shrouds beyond the staves should also have ratlines. Photo attached. Most photos of models show them without ratlines but i m not sure whether this is correct. Thanks for yr help.
Regards
David
It depends on the construction of the top and how the seamen were climbing over the ratlines to the top
1) If there are ratlines installed at the futtock shrouds -> than usually were no ratlines at the shrouds above the futtock stave
Take a look at these sketches and also the photos of the model which are explaining the situation:

06bc0b44c93830e96ef337fbd009a4e4.jpg tall-ship-3.jpg

IMG_03411.JPG IMG_03441.JPG IMG_03651.JPG

2) if the sailor reached the top climbing through the gap between top and mast, than there were ratlines necessary up to the top of the shrouds, but than no ratlines installed at the futtock shrouds

But I guess, that the HMS Victory is one of the solution 1)

Dear Uwek
Thanks alot much appreciated. Your reply fully explains my question and is also in line with my understanding. Yes in fact victory has futtock shrouds so case 1 applies.
Best regards
David
Thank you for asking this question. And thanks to Uwek for his detailed answer. I have studied the Victory (and others..) and wondered about the different approaches to the Tops. Now I can see some of the reasoning.!!
:)Thumbs-Up

Hello, voici comment j'ai fait ces enflechures (ratlines) sur mon modèle du Victory

Hello, this is how I did these ratlines on my Victory model

View attachment 165590

View attachment 165591

Francis
Many Thanks for sharing these details of your lovely model - I would like to see much more of the model
BTW: we met two years ago during the International convention in Rochefort.... I was part of the german delegation.
For all other members: I made some photos of another model Francis brought to this event:
IMG_04141.JPG

Ratline spacing depends (obviously) on the scale but for the scale 1/50 range if you use a 3 x 5 lined note card the lines provide a fair spacing guide for the rat lines. What I do is clip the 3 x 5 card behind the shrouds and knot the rat lines onto the shroud using the lines on the card as a guide. The card provides not only a spacing template but also a line template across the shrouds that helps keep the rat line parallel to the deck.

Last edited:
Back