Ratlines - thread

So, I completed the port side ratlines using the specified thread AL included. I did wax the thread to decrease the fuzziness but they still look like crap in my opinion. Do you think I should complete the 2nd (starboard) side with the same thread? Or should I go ahead and do the second side with polyester thread of the same size and color?

20210821_120146.jpg20210821_120135.jpg20210821_120100.jpg

Last edited:
The frustration will be if you use a different thread it will probably stand out like a black eye. I think you will be happier to suffer through using the same thread in the other side. After a few days on display one’s “eye” will not register the degree of crappiness you perceive now. Super great build results so far!

I agree AL thread is not good. I am working on Endeavor ratlines with their thread and wished I had started by buying good thread in the proper size. This is the first ship I have fully rigged and planning to put sails on. I look at it as a learning experience. I would suggest that you do what makes you happy as most models are only viewed from one side.

The frustration will be if you use a different thread it will probably stand out like a black eye. I think you will be happier to suffer through using the same thread in the other side. After a few days on display one’s “eye” will not register the degree of crappiness you perceive now. Super great build results so far!
The color is very close. I guess I'll just stick with it. I'm not going to remove the AL lines - way too much work.

Attachments

• 20210821_140931.jpg
    20210821_140931.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 16
I agree AL thread is not good. I am working on Endeavor ratlines with their thread and wished I had started by buying good thread in the proper size. This is the first ship I have fully rigged and planning to put sails on. I look at it as a learning experience. I would suggest that you do what makes you happy as most models are only viewed from one side.
This is also my first wooden ship model, rigging and all. I'm learning as I go. My next model will use ropes exclusively. I bought a rope machine to make my own. I have yet to determine the type of threads best to use for it though...

Back