Rattlesnake Kits???

I looking at doing a Rattlesnake build. The first question is which kit to buy. After ruling out the Chinese 1/4" scale models because I can't read the language, I'm left with 3 options: 1/4" scale kit from the LumberYard or the 1/64 kits from Model Shipways and Mamoli. While I like the detail that can be achieved in the 1/4" scale, cutting and building the hull piece by piece may be more than I want to take on in a first build. I've read reviews of the two 1/64 kits and they appear to be nearly identical, though the rigging plan from the Model Shipways' kit sounds to be inadequate compared to the Mamoli kit. Does anyone have experience/advice on this? Is there a good source other than the plans that come with the kits for doing the rigging?

As I'm into detail, I've also heard that these kits are missing some details like a sail cloth, ship's bell, lantern off the stern, pump, sufficient cannons, and carriage guns. If anyone can think of other items that are left out, please let me know as I plan to purchase these items along with the kit.

The model only show the forecastle, quarter deck and open part of the main deck. I'm interested in what the enclosed areas look like. Does anyone have or know of the deck plans for the Rattlesnake or similar ship?

Finally, does anyone have experience with adding LED lighting on models? I'm thinking of illuminating the captain's cabin, the forecastle, the hold and possibly the stern lantern (if I can figure out how to hide the wires) with a battery operated system.

I'd appreciate any thoughts from the members.

The Lumberyard produces the Admiralty style (Plank on Frame) model which you will have to cut out most of your own materials. Unless they supply the frames as CNC laser cut. You can always contact Dave Stevens (dlumberyard) here to ask him further. However, regardless, yes, this will be an advanced build.

The Model Expo is a rather "safe" one to buy so, is probably the Mamoli. The Mamoli might have more CNC laser cut parts which can be good or bad. Let me say that both the ME and Mamoli are going to have some shortcomings and you will have to make the best of the kit (sometimes we call it kit bashing) where some people will add their own enhancements to it. Just remember that it is a "model" and most people forget that. However, given that fact, you can add more detail to it if you want. I am usually the type that builds right out of the box with 'some' enhancements.

There are no other sources that I can think of, but we do have several members here that have much more knowledge about 'other sources' than I do.

I have some experience in adding LED lighting to my San Felipe. I highly suggest that you go to https://evandesigns.com/ to buy all your lighting as he has it all.
He has lighting that is as small as 1mm square.

I am sure that you might realize that building a wooden ship (from kit) is not a put-together routine, but rather it is a construction building process. No two people given the same model / same kit will look identical to each other - nearly impossible.

The Lumberyard produces the Admiralty style (Plank on Frame) model which you will have to cut out most of your own materials. Unless they supply the frames as CNC laser cut. You can always contact Dave Stevens (dlumberyard) here to ask him further. However, regardless, yes, this will be an advanced build.

The Model Expo is a rather "safe" one to buy so, is probably the Mamoli. The Mamoli might have more CNC laser cut parts which can be good or bad. Let me say that both the ME and Mamoli are going to have some shortcomings and you will have to make the best of the kit (sometimes we call it kit bashing) where some people will add their own enhancements to it. Just remember that it is a "model" and most people forget that. However, given that fact, you can add more detail to it if you want. I am usually the type that builds right out of the box with 'some' enhancements.

There are no other sources that I can think of, but we do have several members here that have much more knowledge about 'other sources' than I do.

I have some experience in adding LED lighting to my San Felipe. I highly suggest that you go to https://evandesigns.com/ to buy all your lighting as he has it all.
He has lighting that is as small as 1mm square.

I am sure that you might realize that building a wooden ship (from kit) is not a put-together routine, but rather it is a construction building process. No two people given the same model / same kit will look identical to each other - nearly impossible.
Thanks Donnie,
I checked out the LED link and it looks good for what I’m thinking about.

Good morning I just started model ship ways Rattlesnake so far the kit looks acceptable instructions are up front I may try to think too far ahead at times carving stern counter block now bulkheads lined up fairly well I’ll need to shim up 2 of them to fair up the hull for planking that’s part of the fun not to mention pretending to be a privateer there is a nice build log on this site check it out

I’ve build the Mamoli one and had no serious issues. However, Mamoli is taken over by Dusek model kits and their quality is in general better than old Mamoli so the quality of the new version should be even better than the old one.

Recently got to put the boats built over the summer, in the water. One hull but build two wheelhouses thus enabling to represent different vessels. The yellow one is the Loganville, which can be seen working out of the harbour of Port Dover, Lake Erie, Ontario, Canada. The Red one is the Beamsville which operates out of Tofino, B.C.

the sailboat was an old Billings kit of the Dragen

0A9DE545-17B7-48BD-8E76-0833FD2D73AF.jpeg71106701-2715-4695-A820-1C50BD06F1C5.jpeg5DDCB8BE-4AE8-4074-B6C5-0B1B54217AD5.jpeg31FAE8B5-7457-4E76-8FB4-17D2647F7E9D.jpeg0C4522DC-622D-4357-925D-D700A2ED7474.jpeg

I was building the ME version and the wood part was not bad. I stopped to build another model but will return. The rigging is confusing as it’s not broken down in to steps. It’s just the model diagram with ALL the rigging shown together. If you have other model experience you can use the past experience to apply. Look painful at any rate. Unless someone has a breakout of the rigging I did not get.

Good morning I just started model ship ways Rattlesnake so far the kit looks acceptable instructions are up front I may try to think too far ahead at times carving stern counter block now bulkheads lined up fairly well I’ll need to shim up 2 of them to fair up the hull for planking that’s part of the fun not to mention pretending to be a privateer there is a nice build log on this site check it out
Where is the build log? Which rattlesnake kit?

I'm working on the MS Rattlesnake right now It does have some short comings but it looks like the other kits do as well. I like the long boat but it requires carving which can be a pain but then it isn't metal and details are going to be better. There isn't enough grating to do the hatch's and bow and floor of the launch as well. There are no laser cut pieces for things like the cross trees. Directions need careful reading and study. The fit and accuracy of the wood pieces is adequate. I liked the price but with the extra pieces to buy it would have come out about the same $ wisethumbnail_20210620_212252.jpg except I got my Rattlesnake on sale.thumbnail_20210620_212336.jpg

You can follow the hyperlink in the signature to my MS Rattlesnake log. Overall it's not a bad kit but the directions are pretty hopeless, just a vague "do this, do that" type of thing. But if you have previous builds completed you know how it's done and one ship is pretty much like another. Rigging is also left up to the builder and his/her previous experience. I bought a longboat kit from ebay that improved the look a ton. I also added copper to the hull, something else that is not mentioned in the plans.

I really like the lines of Rattlesnake and was glad to include an American privateer to my fleet. I think you'd get more quality hardwoods with a Mamoli kit over the MS kit and the scale I believe are slightly different. You're choice. Enjoy!

You can follow the hyperlink in the signature to my MS Rattlesnake log. Overall it's not a bad kit but the directions are pretty hopeless, just a vague "do this, do that" type of thing. But if you have previous builds completed you know how it's done and one ship is pretty much like another. Rigging is also left up to the builder and his/her previous experience. I bought a longboat kit from ebay that improved the look a ton. I also added copper to the hull, something else that is not mentioned in the plans.

I really like the lines of Rattlesnake and was glad to include an American privateer to my fleet. I think you'd get more quality hardwoods with a Mamoli kit over the MS kit and the scale I believe are slightly different. You're choice. Enjoy!
I just started the MS Rattlesnake build and I wanted to let you know I really appreciate the log of your build. Your pictures helped fill in the missing spots, as you have noted, in the directions. A picture is truly worth a thousand words!

I just started the MS Rattlesnake build and I wanted to let you know I really appreciate the log of your build. Your pictures helped fill in the missing spots, as you have noted, in the directions. A picture is truly worth a thousand words!

Well thank you for the kind words. All the bashing I did you can take or leave. Many of the details I put in you simply can't see without a magnifier but I enjoyed putting the details in. Silly stuff like installing brass pullies in the legs of the bitts. But what really paid off was investing in quality thread and pearwood blocks, that really erases a lot of the shabbiness of this basic kit. I've really enjoyed this build, 15-20 more hours and it'll be done.

If you could find one on eBay or other similar sites the Rattlesnake cdc kit by Bob Hunt of Lauckstreetshipyard is first rate. Better than any other kit mentioned above. But unfortunately hard to find…but they do occasionally pop up.

If you could find one on eBay or other similar sites the Rattlesnake cdc kit by Bob Hunt of Lauckstreetshipyard is first rate. Better than any other kit mentioned above. But unfortunately hard to find…but they do occasionally pop up.
I'm using his instructions for rigging, it is locked on. I'm working on the masts now.

I just started the masts yesterday:

Back