Rattlesnake plans

Am I wrong in thinking the model shipways plans for the rattlesnake build are less than adequate?

Being someone who has never built USS Rattlesnake but is a great fan of that ship, I wish I could tell you. I hope some Rattlesnake builders post here with their opinions as to the best Rattlesnake kit out there, and why. I just might build it yet...

Can you be more specific? What are you finding lacking? Hull construction, deck furniture or masting and rigging issues? Usually all the build logs/reviews I have seen say Model Shipways plans are the most complete and are among the best plan’s available.....

I think there are a couple of Hahn Rattlesnake builds in the scratch building section....

i found the model shipways rattlesnake plans quite good compared to other manufacturers. the one thing that was a bit different was the white metal cast fife rails , bitts and binnacle ( in the plans they suggest you may want to make your own out of wood for a more realistic look )

Am I wrong in thinking the model shipways plans for the rattlesnake build are less than adequate?

They.are.simply.horrible. I wouldn't recommend the Rattlesnake for a first time builder for the sole reason the practicum leaves so much out. I'm actually using the rigging plan from two other models I've done as the one sheet showing rigging is hopelessly confused and again, leaves much to the imagination of the builder.

It's a cute little ship and I don't rue buying and building it. But caveat emptor to the first time builder.

I am building this model,as a first build at the moment. I find the rigging plans more than confusing. I am following TKAM's build log as he solves many of the confusing issues.

Can you be more specific? What are you finding lacking? Hull construction, deck furniture or masting and rigging issues? Usually all the build logs/reviews I have seen say Model Shipways plans are the most complete and are among the best plan’s available.....
Having issues with mast platform area. Plans not clear on mast going thru cross trees and tresle trees and up to mast cap.

Having issues with mast platform area. Plans not clear on mast going thru cross trees and tresle trees and up to mast cap.

I built the mast platform from scatch even though they don't show a platform on the plans. I just thought is appropriate as most/all ships would have some sort of platform for each and every mast. I also scratched the mast coats as the laser cut "circles" for the base of the masts were all too small and fragile.

Back