Ready to start building again

So I am finally in a place where I can start building ships again and I have a question. Rather than fork out the full load for a model I found a site that offers payments but I have mixed thoughts regarding this and a post on their YouTube channel has given me pause. So I thought I would put it to the pros to see if anyone knew anything about them or could tell me if this is a good idea?

The companies name is ModelSpace and their site is http://www.model-space.com. Has anyone heard of these guys or know anything about them?

Hi earthrat,
I am glad that you are on board and you are wise to ask this before you dive in.

I would say that this approach would be fine for some and not for others.

When I discovered Model - Space (actually, we all refer this to as DeAgostini part builds) as they allegedly get you started on one (manual) or magazine as they call it at a time. They will send you the parts for you to build at that time with the manual. Then they have it calculated or figured that about one month or six weeks, you should be ready for the next (manual) or magazine with more parts. Great idea. But, it is so very unfortunate that many here on this forum have suffered this "method" and suffered this company.
When I saw this, I thought to myself that this is the best thing and the best approach as it seems not "overwhelm" the modeler with 1) initial expense and 2) a huge box of parts, manuals, plans of which the modeler thinks there is no way I can do this. But, most of the appeal comes in laying down a few bucks as you go along.
I think most of the complaints is the overall raw lack of quality of the partial build approach.

Some steps seem to be out of place or out of order.
Some people that are building this realize that they should have received one particular magazine more in advance realizing that they had to go back and do some modifications. For instance, lets say that the second installment tell you to glue up the Bulwarks and add the Deck and you have all the parts to do so. Then the next installment begins with installation of canons - but wait, if I had known this, I should have made provisions for the port holes in advance because I see that it would have "made it easier" to remove excess wood from the frame pieces. And not only that, the Deck really needs to be out of the way on the stern piece, etc as example.
I am not sure if this helps, but if at all possible, I would be very leery of this company. I have also learned that they have problems with scale and accuracy of the models and most builders have to refer to a lot of research to bring the ship inline.
I am sure as this post matures, you will get alot of replies with pro and cons on it.

I will also add a disclaimer that since I have no personal experience with this DeAgonstini, I would not want to offend anyone here building this companies line of models. I do not want to discourage anyone's heart desire to do what they wish. I would rather take the encouragement approach. I will say that with my Santisima Trinidad build, it was NOT for the faint of heart, it was a rough ride with the rigging as most 80% of the rigging plates were wrong and i had to basically rewrite 100% of all the belaying pin points !!! So, I guess you can say that all kit manufactures will have their short comings. This is why I want to be careful in my judgements.

Donnie

Thanks for your feedback Donnie, I take most of what I read with a grain of salt but I also don't want to get burned. In the case of the DeAgostini part builds the biggest draw for me was more about the scale than the pricing structure, although I did like the idea that I would not have to lay down a large chunk all at once.

I have been looking for large scale ships because I figure if I am going to dedicate the time needed and enjoy the build I may as well go big. The problem is the large scale kits to this point have eluded me and this was the first one to come along with a size that I am interested in building.

So I will hold off and see if anyone else wants to comment and give me more feedback on this.

Hi Earthrat, I am currently doing a part/s build through DeAgostini, Sovereign of the Seas. Like you I can't fork out a large sum in one hit for a kit, the part kit does come out more expensive than buying a box kit but because it is spread out over time one doesn't notice it. So far I have not had any issues(problems) with the supplier in Australia, read Steve's part build Sovereign of the Seas on this site. His gripe is mainly with their site and customer service.
Remember, the choice is yours, I have three part builds going at the moment.
Regards
Eric

Thanks Eric, this gives me hope that I am looking in the right place. My intent is to purchase 2 or 3 months worth at a time. I contacted support and they said they would be happy to send me as many parts as I wanted at once. I have to say they did take their sweet time getting back with me though and that confirms support sucks. It took them almost a week to reply and considering I am not even a paying customer yet you would think they would have jumped right on getting back with me. Although I have asked quite a few times, both using their form and on their Facebook page when they might be getting more of the HMS Victory models in and they seemingly just ignore my question. Not a very good way to win over a new customer that's for sure...;)

As you no doubt noticed on the bottom of my post 'HMS Victory started' unfortunately due to financial difficulties I was unable to continue with the Victory and here in Aust. the subscription is just about finished, so I was thinking of getting it from the UK, but we will wait and see.
Regards
Eric

Hi earthrat, I figured that eric would step in. I am glad that he offered some hope for you to go in this direction. I think it is a good idea that they were willing to send you several steps to you now. I think you are on the right path now.

the larger scale is actually easier to work on in several regards. The larger the scale, things become more realistic instead of representative. I hope to see you get started on one soon.

Donnie

Yes, I am ready and after 6 builds in the past on small ships I know exactly what you mean about the realism and ease of construction which was two reason for wanting a larger scale.

I am very uneasy about going with this company however. I did more digging and reading on Facebook and there is a number of unhappy builders posting with only one confirmed reply from the company. However being the biggest issue was with slow deliveries and the fact that I am not in a hurry I may be over reacting...;)

Hi Earthrat, you will find on this site complaints about Mamoli and Aetesania Latina but I think their customer service is a bit better once again the choice is yours. You will get support from builders on this site.
Regards
Eric

Hi Earthrat, I am not sure where I got this info. I think it may have been from StevieF on this site.
Although the parts come from China, the kit is "commissioned" by Artesania Latina and if I am not mistaken so is the Victory.
The Sovereign of the Seas uses bamboo strips as the primary planking the Victory uses boxwood or something (someone can correct me here).
Cheers
Eric

Thanks Eric, so I did some searching and found the HMS Victory at premiershipmodels.us and this one is even bigger than the ship I see at DeAgostini part builds and what really struck me was it is $462 and if you include a $100 for the so called free gifts they are giving you, thats still some serious markup that DeAgostini has applied and I think I am just going to purchase this through premiershipmodels.us. I can get almost three ships for the price of one if I went through DeAgostini parts build.

Had a look at that site, very impressive. A model of that scale here in Australia would cost between $600 and $700 dollars(AU)
Go for it.
Will look forward to your build log.
Regards
Eric

PS $462(US) is about $594(AU)

So I am finally in a place where I can start building ships again and I have a question. Rather than fork out the full load for a model I found a site that offers payments but I have mixed thoughts regarding this and a post on their YouTube channel has given me pause. So I thought I would put it to the pros to see if anyone knew anything about them or could tell me if this is a good idea?

The companies name is ModelSpace and their site is http://www.model-space.com. Has anyone heard of these guys or know anything about them?
Hallo @earthrat
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back