Rebuilding the Tally Ho - the real thing

If anyone is interested in how the real thing is done try the utube videos of rebuilding the Tally Ho. You will need time on your hands. The videos are up to 93 and the hull is not yet fully planked ! (I think there are some shorter compilation ones). It does however give a fascinating insight into how it is all done for real and goes into minute (if occasionally tedious) detail. The bronze work is fantastic

George,

I recently stumbled across the Tally Ho while YouTube surfing and I'm glad I did I'm hooked! They also have a website called Sampson Boat Co.

I think Leo does an incredible job of explaining the “why?” behind all of the many subtle considerations a shipwright grapples with. The series underscores the complexity of a wooden boat, and yes - the tedium of the many repetitive tasks that have to be performed. That he is able to train so many people and inspire them to maintain such a consistent standard of excellence is remarkable.

I am an Honarary Life Member of the Albert Strange Association and very proud to have been involved in Tally's salvation fromthe fate of being sawn up. For thirty yeats I owned Galatea ,a smallerversion (26 ft) of Tally Ho, designed by Albert Strange the year after,1910.
Leo is doing a remarkable job, Do follow him. you will learn a lot.!

I've been tuning in to Leo and the Tally Ho project since it started. I subscribed and have enjoyed every minute. Leo and all of his crew are exceptional people keeping this ship alive for all of us to enjoy.

Yep - both how and why. It does show that ship modelling is not that far off the real thing. Also some useful tips - I see that he decides, because the planks are relatively narrow, that he only needs to bevel one side - but I think getting the inner face of each plank slightly concave is probably a detail too far !

The Tally Ho video series on you tube is one of my favourites to watch. I recommend that anyone interested in sailing ships should look up this show.

If anyone is interested in how the real thing is done try the utube videos of rebuilding the Tally Ho. You will need time on your hands. The videos are up to 93 and the hull is not yet fully planked ! (I think there are some shorter compilation ones). It does however give a fascinating insight into how it is all done for real and goes into minute (if occasionally tedious) detail. The bronze work is fantastic
Hallo @George B
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back