Recommendations for a table saw

Hi there. I'm wondering what kind of table saws you use and what recommendations you would have. I currently use the MicroMark saw shown below. It's nice but limited. Please don't suggest the Proxxon FET as I've already gone that route and returned it because it was out of alignment and can't be adjusted. Thanks for your helpIMG_0438.jpg

I think this all depends on what you want to accomplish. Personally I would not spend the money on a any hobby size table saw. My reasons are first they are limiting as where a 10 inch band saw has far more uses. Second a table saw has a limit to how thick of material you can cut so at some point either you have to resaw larger material down or purchase resawn material.

Unfortunately, there is not to many to choose from... You already dismiss Proxxon, so we left with Microlux by Micro Mark (similar price as Proxxon) and Jim's Byrnes saw. I have not use Microlux, but I am happily use Jim's tool and consider one of the best tools in my ship lab (sorry, i don't call it shop) :p
It doesn't tilt the blade and some consider it as limitation, but without tilt, it adds to pression. I am able to resaw 0.6mm thick strips... The only drawback - is cost... But you pay premium for pression.

Paul I was actually going to recommend you do NOT buy the FET but you have covered that alreadyROTFI have never heard anyone complain about the Byrnes saw who actually own one

Kind Regards

Nigel

My Jim Byrnes modellers table saw works well for me. It is much more powerful than the commercial saws that I have tried. It doesn't bog down and cuts smooth and accurately.
Bob

I recently cut 1mm pcs on a reg 10” table saw.

Last edited:
The Byrnes website says they aren't shipping any more 110v products due supplier problems. Bummer!

"Due to manufacturing delays from our suppliers because of the coronavirus, we are unable to take new orders for machines with a 120v motor.
All orders currently in-house will be shipped within the next two weeks. We do have 230v machines available for our international customers as well as all accessories and blades listed for the machines.
We apologize for this inconvenience. We have been given a schedule for mid- to end-of-June for delivery of the 120v motors.
Stay safe,
Donna and Jim"

TO ALL. LISTEN TO WHAT HE SAYS I FOLLOWED HIS ADVICE ON WHAT TO BY CAN NOT BE HAPPIER HAD THE BIG BOY TOOLS FOR ALMOST 2 YEARSN ALL WORKING GREAT EXCEPT WHEN I BREAK A BLADE NOT MACHINES FAULT MY FAULT, like dave said my band saw does everthing you can want, and re-sawing as well with proper blade at one third repeat at one third the cost, i may in the future get a better bgrade band saw for a few bucks more but not right now, and i can rip thin planks easily it has a fence miter gauge and dust collection port, can any one of the above mentioned hobby tools including byrnes to all that, WAY TO GO DAVE, WAY TO GO. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE Don

My compromise was to rebuild an old cast iron 7" bench saw:
These show up on craigslist and at auctions pretty regularly for very little money, and new bushings are only a few dollars. It was a fun, simple and satisfying project to get it up and running again. Unfortunately small older machines like this are almost nonexistent in Europe, but since you are in the US they are out in the wild.

it has a fence miter gauge and dust collection port, can any one of the above mentioned hobby tools including byrnes to all that
Yes, Don Byrnes table saw comes with fence, miter gauge and dust collection port. And don't get me wrong, I am not trying to promote Byrnes Machine (maybe i should :p ), as Nigel said: have not heard any complaints (other than cost) from owners of Jim's (Byrnes) saw.

There are no winners, it just a matter of taste and preference. But let me ask you: how often you have to cut a billet of 2 x 4 and how often you make small scale lumber for deck fitting or deck\hull planking? Can you cut planking material let's say 1mm x 4mm with a 9" or 12" table saw? Is it possible? If yes, how much material will you waist?

Hi JIM the 2 X 4 was an example but MY SON-IN-LAW when he needs it it is there, BUT THE COST, THE COST and JIM YOU ARE CORRECT NO WINNERS OR LOOSERS IN THIS JUST A MATTER OF WHAT YOU LIKE TO USE,,,BTW I JUST RECEIVE MY BLADE RUNNERX2 will post pictures tomorrow and see how it works there are some negatives, so let us see. Don

lots of questions
so lets explore EVERYTHING shall we?

Dave, we can talk hours and will never have a consensus. I think Paul asked a simple question would be a replacement for his edged Microlux? He already gave us a hint as he purchased Proxxon Fet but have to return due to bad quality. Should we suggest him to buy a bandsaw if he wants a table saw similar to Proxxon or should we suggest him a 12" table saw because he would cut billets 4" and +?

I still think the FET is good value for the money and an acceptable compromise for hobby work. As we do not have to handle huge timber sizes, the 80-100 mm blade size is just the right one. I think Proxxon quality is generally above average and Paul's FET is just the odd one out, a faulty one which should have only be replaced. I have been using about 10 different Proxxon devices for years and with the exception of the scroll saw (which I already don't have) they served well. Even that might have been my fault rather than the devices. Part of the Proxxon experiment is obviously a good supplier which I found in mytoolstore.com.au.
Just my 2 cents...
János

Hi ZOLY, an example of multi task, I have a lot of high quality material, PEAR, BOXWOOD, WALNUT and a few others some are like 1 inch or a little more and needs not only thickness sanding but a total cleanup of material with the righrt bade i can probably get some pieces 1/2 inch to 5/8 inch and the put it on the thickness sander clean it up and get the material to 1/8 inch or even 1/16 inch, change blade and cut strips to 3/32 inch or less with no problems, COST $129.00 for BAND SAW and $220.00 for my thickness sander, hobby tools $350.00 to $400.00 for table saw, $400.00 plus or minus, for thickness sander, and still know re-sawing abilty., just my opion every one to his own like and dislikes it is what makes this hobby so wonderful ie POB or POF, kit build or scratch build, can go on, ALL GOD BLESS AND STAY SAFE. Don

Back