Recommendations for Flag material

I've recently created a set of flags for my bluenose to be printed onto iron transfer material. Anyone recommend a good material that will take the flag transfer well and be still flexible for positioning?

Harold Hahn used to paint flags on aluminium foil with fantastic results. Not sure if iron transfer will work, never tried.

Slik span is a model aircraft covering which is malleable, flexible, printable, and paintable and I've often heard of it being used for flags.

My suggestion based on modelling projects is tin foil from a yoghurt pot. You'll have to look around your own kitchen and compare foils from different foodstuffs. I've successfully stuck thin cotton (sheet) to same and once dry it's easily possible to 'pose' the material. White pva glue sticks okay. The foil that I used had a slight dimpling and came from a larger pot.
Best wishes
Dudley

That’s a very interesting idea. I will definitely experiment with foil between the flag sides to see how well it holds the shape. The ink on the cotton and the transfer material adds a rigidity to the material that may need the extra help of heat to shape the flags.

Hi Chris, I’ve used silkspan painted with acrilics with quite satisfactory results. Maybe you could test the silkspan in an ink-jet printer. It is very resistant.
Greetings
Jaime

5BA53027-D5DB-4A7A-AF79-7F9B82A1243B.jpeg2566EE3A-F62F-450C-A60E-4E2C75D81014.jpeg0CD51C1D-8A95-4C99-9BC4-662FB2FC95A1.jpeg199B0679-1681-4EAE-90FE-62FFDB65B93A.jpeg

OMG I can’t imagine trying to paint all the signal flags by hand.
TechTrek:
Take a look at the way I do my flags with very nice results.

Back