reference material, photos and/or drawings for box or cabinet style binnacles

I am looking for reference material, photos and/or drawings for box or cabinet style binnacles

The only ones I have found are for the HMS Victory, and one on a model

I am making a digital model of the Armed Virginia Sloop (but unarmed)

The book and instructions for this show a binnacle with a compass in the center and a lantern on each side, but I wonder about some of the details, such as the top opening rather than doors on the faces

A three door binnacle like on the Victory (two compass + one light) is also shown in the 74-gun ship documentation of Jean Boudriot, so a french version

IMG_17001.jpg

tumblr_4bd5402826934349ebcf99bcb7ecef28_4c33ac14_500.png tumblr_d249220c111507b0b06f5a6c580b9190_86ad2dbb_500.png

There were also two door binnacles with only one compass - a replica is on the Nonsuch

Nonsuch binnacle.jpg

Thanks!

I found a couple of those reference, but not the ship in Manitoba, that is super cool, I will have to try and make it there some day

The book (Modeling an Armed Virginia Sloop of 1768) shows 2 lamps and 1 compass, and a top that opens

The design (and attachment) is the same in the book and all the builds and plans I have found

I think I will make a 2 compartment one, 1 lamp and 1 compass, with face doors, (like the one you sent on the Nonsuch) that seems to make more sense

Also, the book says ‘bolted to the deck’ but other references say ‘lashed to the deck’

Would they take these inside in bad weather? That seems very difficult

Thanks!

I found a couple of those reference, but not the ship in Manitoba, that is super cool, I will have to try and make it there some day

The book (Modeling an Armed Virginia Sloop of 1768) shows 2 lamps and 1 compass, and a top that opens

The design (and attachment) is the same in the book and all the builds and plans I have found

I think I will make a 2 compartment one, 1 lamp and 1 compass, with face doors, (like the one you sent on the Nonsuch) that seems to make more sense

Also, the book says ‘bolted to the deck’ but other references say ‘lashed to the deck’

Would they take these inside in bad weather? That seems very difficult
These were lashed to the deck - so removable
you can see the ropes on the sides also at the Nonsuch - photo
or shown in the sketch for the Pig or sheep pen

or on the HMS Tricommalee - easy to fix and easy to remove

tumblr_d249220c111507b0b06f5a6c580b9190_86ad2dbb_500.png Screenshot 2022-11-08 094528.png

Screenshot 2022-11-08 094344.png

My thinking on this, the instruction’s, the kit shows a 3 compartment (2 lanterns with compass in the center), lantern vents as holes in the side, top opening and bolted to the deck

The chimney looks more interesting and more sensible, the tie down more interesting and presumably more common, and 2 compartments seem reasonable for a small less expensive ship

I like your solution - and the explanation are making sense !!!

Back