Replacement wood

hello everyone been some time since being on, been hard at work on my build MISSISSIPPI King but have run into a issues with my wood strips not sure if they are Bass or Balsa
but i am in need of more. So my question is do you guys have a supplier for wood strips and sheets i have contacted Artesania Latina about this issue but have yet to receive a reply i would really like a place closer to home "Philadelphia" if there is one
i have also looked on amazon, any help or feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Midwest Products has a wide selection and can be found in some hobby shops and on Amazon. Another is Blick Hobbies
For some reason restricted access pops up here when I pasted the link but I clicked on it and it went right to the basswood strips list.

Who's kit is your King? If from Model Shipways, they are part of Model Expo and you may ask them for more wood to finish the kit, they have great customer service.

I just Want to thank everyone for their input its greatly apricated i have received a lot of info that was not known by myself being new to the building of wood Ships and its really good to know i have a group to ask and get good information.
"THANKS AGAIN" to all for the Help Thumbsup:cool:

Just my humble opinion. I am not a super experienced modeler. Always buy from Model expo (especially if you are in the USA). M. E. Customer service is absolutely top notch. I built that King of Mississippi from Artesania Latina, (Spanish company). I had broken some metal railings and sent them an email. A. L. sent me new railings at no charge. A.L. also has excellent customer service. I will only buy models made by Occre and A. L. and only buy from Model Expo.

Just my humble opinion. I am not a super experienced modeler. Always buy from Model expo (especially if you are in the USA). M. E. Customer service is absolutely top notch. I built that King of Mississippi from Artesania Latina, (Spanish company). I had broken some metal railings and sent them an email. A. L. sent me new railings at no charge. A.L. also has excellent customer service. I will only buy models made by Occre and A. L. and only buy from Model Expo.
Just curious, You won't get a Model Shipways kit which is the brand Model Expo makes? :)

T.Y. for your reply. My mistake. You are correct. I also purchased the Model Shipways "Charles W Morgan" and the 18th Century Longboat. And I purchased them from Model Expo also. I was thinking Model Expo is the only company that sells Model Shipways and are same company. Model Shipways is a fine company, makes fine models and Model Expo is the one that supports the customer service.

FYI. I also purchased the Prins Willem from Corel from Model Expo. When I opened the box, I was absolutely disappointed. The materials are fine, but the instructions are horrible, absolutely useless. 3 pages of run on English that make no sense. You must decipher things just from blueprints. I am sorry, I bought it. I am not experienced enough to tackle that model yet.

hello everyone been some time since being on, been hard at work on my build MISSISSIPPI King but have run into a issues with my wood strips not sure if they are Bass or Balsa
but i am in need of more. So my question is do you guys have a supplier for wood strips and sheets i have contacted Artesania Latina about this issue but have yet to receive a reply i would really like a place closer to home "Philadelphia" if there is one
i have also looked on amazon, any help or feed back would be greatly appreciated.

I use bass wood as the main source of wood for most of my models.
It is so easy to buy two or three peices of bass wood, 6 inches wide
by 1 in thick and two feet in length, cut with a Bandsaw to one
quarter of an inch thickness, then use your minature tablesaw to
cut your straps.No need to for a supplier such as a hobby shop, do
it yourself as I do and save a lot of dollars.

FYI. I also purchased the Prins Willem from Corel from Model Expo. When I opened the box, I was absolutely disappointed. The materials are fine, but the instructions are horrible, absolutely useless. 3 pages of run on English that make no sense. You must decipher things just from blueprints.
Unfortunately, this is pretty common due to most of the kits being made outside of English speaking countries. :)

T.Y. for your reply. My mistake. You are correct. I also purchased the Model Shipways "Charles W Morgan" and the 18th Century Longboat. And I purchased them from Model Expo also. I was thinking Model Expo is the only company that sells Model Shipways and are same company. Model Shipways is a fine company, makes fine models and Model Expo is the one that supports the customer service.

FYI. I also purchased the Prins Willem from Corel from Model Expo. When I opened the box, I was absolutely disappointed. The materials are fine, but the instructions are horrible, absolutely useless. 3 pages of run on English that make no sense. You must decipher things just from blueprints. I am sorry, I bought it. I am not experienced enough to tackle that model yet.
My first kit was La Couronne from Corel. I had to translate the Italian, so I sympathize. Corel kits assume you already know how to build a wooden sailing ship and are not aimed at beginners. The wood is great, and the drawings have occasional errors, but are detailed enough to complete the model. To read the materials list and rigging tables, you will have to learn some Italian terms.

Back