Revell 1:160 scale Paddle-Steamer / Rheindampher Goethe

I recently noticed this kit on ebay and was able to obtain one for a fairly low price. I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the box and checked out the contents. The scale is a little odd but the model is over 19" long. However they decided to mold the ship as it appeared in the mid 1970's. Since then it has been altered in a few minor external areas. Most notably in the area of the funnel and just behind it. There are a lot of images of the ship as it appears now on the internet as well as about 30 minutes of video on you-tube. I have decided to build the kit as is with a few improvements that shouldn't require too much additional work, most of it consisting of changes or additions to the interior to the extent that I have been able find images of those areas. I plan to install window tinting and possibly replace the window glass itself. Some of the interior decking is natural wood color and a lot of the interior walls are also wood paneled. I inherited a bunch of very thin wood strips from another modeler so I plan to finish out the visible interior and some of the dining table tops. I also purchased two packages of model railroad passengers that are 1:150 scale which should be close enough especially those that are seated. Once I get started on the model I will create a build log showing my progress. To anyone with additional information about this ship I would appreciate whatever help that can be provided.

Well, as soon as all the components arrive I will start construction and a build log to go with it. Out of the box it looks like it will be a relatively easy build. If I were one who likes to go way beyond a normal build I think this kit would be a sound base for super detailing, such as paintings on the interior walls and patterned carpet in the forward dining salon. Someone with better scratch building skills could modify the upper superstructure to more closely represent the ship as it looks today. If I had the money for a European vacation I would definitely include a day cruise up and down the Rhine River but I'm afraid that will never happen. There is a little stern wheeler based at Sanford, Fl. that conducts day cruises up the St. Johns River and after the Covid 19 pandemic passes I intend to go for a ride on the river.

Back