Revell colour using in wooden models

Guys I would like to ask whether I can use these colour on wooden models? I have quite huge palete of these colours from building plastic models.
1576078873883.png

Last edited:
So this is self explanatory. Nobody is using these type of color for building wooden models...:D.

Still I will give it a try.

So this is self explanatory. Nobody is using these type of color for building wooden models...:D.

Still I will give it a try.
Not everybody is able to be every day online here in the forum, so a reply to a specific question can take some days.....
What I can say is, that usually a "woody" would not use them, but maybe it is possible - try them on some samples - would be interesting to see the results

Acrylics are easy to use but don't always work so well on wood,depending on the brand and also the timber.I used artists acrylics on my Royal Caroline build but this was Pearwood.On something like basswood it can be hard work.The water content raises the grain so you can end up,painting,sanding,painting,sanding for ever more.Some acrylics are specially formulated for wood e.g. the Caldercraft range.Only way of knowing is to try it on a piece of scrap wood that is the same as that of the model.

Kind Regards

Nigel

If these are basic acrylics then you should be able to use them. I use basic artist acrylic paints typically available from hobby and craft stores all the time. One comment above is true...results do depend on the wood being painted. One hint is to pretreat the wood with a wood sealer. There are many options. I use both a simple craft sealer (sometimes called sanding sealer) as well as flat polyurethane wood finish (I prefer oil based). Treat the part...let dry...then apply the acrylic paint. Normally the poly finish minimizes grain lift that occurs with water based paints on some woods. I often seal every part of a build with poly as I progress with the model...even if I will not paint it. The poly provides an excellent protection for the finished model as well as an undercoating for other finishes.

I agree with danielsje. Sealer is important when painting any wood with acrylics. It dries clear and allows you to do a final light sanding without losing its protective qualities. Just make sure you use a good quality tack rag to remove any dust before applying the sealer, or after anu sanding and you should be ok. Since I have a limited apace at the present time I can pretty much only use acrylics - artist tube or craft type, sometimes Model Master - and have never had any problem. For stains Vallejo makes several in different colors - they are usually used for fantasy and war-gaming figures - that also work quite well.

I always use a grey primer coat for red, green and blue. Those paints in your photo are fine to use over a sealer/ primer coat on bare timber.

I usually paint in enamels but just started painting with acrylics on my new model. Lot easier to clean the airbrush but also notice the paint on the model is a lot more susceptible to scratch off with any little thing. Is there a paint sealer that would protect the finish paint and leave the finish looking mat and not give it a glossy finish?

Back